View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:17 pm



Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 OC Dan Henning - Pennington/Henne on audibles 
Author Message
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8946
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post OC Dan Henning - Pennington/Henne on audibles
Personally, I don't find the lack of audibles that big a deal. The team just needs to execute the play.

Armando Salguero wrote:
Q. Does Chad Pennington have greater freedom to call audibles than Chad Henne and does the list of plays change based on the quarterback change?

DAN HENNING. "Same. Same. The list of plays are based on who we're playing. I don't think we'll have a different scope of things. You obviously know different people see things differently. They read things differently. When it comes down to the quarterback you have judgment that takes place so you might see him do something that you didn't see [Henne] do. You also might see him do something that Chad did do that might not be as good. That's what you live with whenever you make that type of change."


http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... nning.html

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:29 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21598
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: OC Dan Henning - Pennington/Henne on audibles
Big Dave wrote:
Personally, I don't find the lack of audibles that big a deal. The team just needs to execute the play.


Really? So if the Dolphins are in a run play and the defense stacks the line with 8 or 9 guys, you don't think it would be a good idea to give the QB the option to change the play? You think the offense should miraculously block more guys than they have blockers?

Or vice versa... if you're in the redzone and you expect the defense to drop 8 and you're in a pass play, you don't think it would be a good idea to have the option to change the play to a run?

_________________
Image


Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:58 am
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:36 am
Posts: 321
Location: Scarborough, Maine
Post Re: OC Dan Henning - Pennington/Henne on audibles
Rich wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
Personally, I don't find the lack of audibles that big a deal. The team just needs to execute the play.


Really? So if the Dolphins are in a run play and the defense stacks the line with 8 or 9 guys, you don't think it would be a good idea to give the QB the option to change the play? You think the offense should miraculously block more guys than they have blockers?

Or vice versa... if you're in the redzone and you expect the defense to drop 8 and you're in a pass play, you don't think it would be a good idea to have the option to change the play to a run?


:bravo2:

Makes no sense at all. Henning better be gone next season.


Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:16 am
Profile
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:13 pm
Posts: 1150
Post Re: OC Dan Henning - Pennington/Henne on audibles
Wow, just like I said before, this old man, he needs FIRED!


Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:58 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8946
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: OC Dan Henning - Pennington/Henne on audibles
Rich wrote:
Really? So if the Dolphins are in a run play and the defense stacks the line with 8 or 9 guys ....


Well, when you put it like that;)

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:21 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5842
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: OC Dan Henning - Pennington/Henne on audibles
I must say I'm very curious to see how Pennington performs if they aren't changing anything on offense.


Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:16 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3605
Post Re: OC Dan Henning - Pennington/Henne on audibles
So if he is telling the truth Henne had as much freedom to call an audible as Pennington will have. They both could/can call audibles. Its up to them to do it.


Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:26 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 8956
Location: Fargo, ND
Post Re: OC Dan Henning - Pennington/Henne on audibles
I honestly have a hard time believing this. I've seen Penny audible lots of times. Either Henning is being misleading here, or Henne really doesn't have a clue.


Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:40 am
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:36 am
Posts: 321
Location: Scarborough, Maine
Post Re: OC Dan Henning - Pennington/Henne on audibles
Well this begs the question from me-don't they communicate via headsets between the booth and QB? Anyone know the details like does the signal shutoff with 15 seconds on the playclock or something like that? Is Henning not adjusting when he sees the defensive positioning and personnel?


Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:14 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3605
Post Re: OC Dan Henning - Pennington/Henne on audibles
Quote:
In the coach-to-quarterback communication system, timing is everything. The coach calling plays must stay one play ahead, already knowing his next call depending on the previous play's outcome, in order to avoid a delay-of-game penalty from not delivering calls fast enough. And the faster a coach can relay a play to the quarterback, the more time he has to include some coaching points before the system automatically turns off at the 15-second mark of the 40-second play clock.

"Maybe a little reminder such as, 'We're in the red zone, don't take a sack; Take a peek at the X receiver before you go to the strong side,' " former New England Patriots offensive coordinator and current Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis says.



http://www.nfl.com/partner/story?id=090 ... pe=coaches


Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:43 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:36 am
Posts: 321
Location: Scarborough, Maine
Post Re: OC Dan Henning - Pennington/Henne on audibles
AQNOR wrote:
Quote:
In the coach-to-quarterback communication system, timing is everything. The coach calling plays must stay one play ahead, already knowing his next call depending on the previous play's outcome, in order to avoid a delay-of-game penalty from not delivering calls fast enough. And the faster a coach can relay a play to the quarterback, the more time he has to include some coaching points before the system automatically turns off at the 15-second mark of the 40-second play clock.

"Maybe a little reminder such as, 'We're in the red zone, don't take a sack; Take a peek at the X receiver before you go to the strong side,' " former New England Patriots offensive coordinator and current Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis says.



http://www.nfl.com/partner/story?id=090 ... pe=coaches


Thank you AQNOR. This makes believe Henning is more of a bozo than I thought before. It seems he has in his head what plays he is going to run and is too stubborn to adjust. Makes me even more interested how Pennington would be as an OC.


Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:50 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4582
Location: Wellington, FL
Post Re: OC Dan Henning - Pennington/Henne on audibles
I think Pennington could easily find himself in a QB Coach or some kind of assistan in the box making reads.

I have never question that part of his game, and I think his football mind is way more in tune than Hennings.
Heck, I gotta wonder if any part of Henning's mind still functions at 100%.
His press confrences reminds me of grampa simpson rants...

Anyone ever listened to Henning? You gotta admit its pretty close to this....


Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:03 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 am
Posts: 4144
Location: The Bluegrass
Post Re: OC Dan Henning - Pennington/Henne on audibles
Rich wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
Personally, I don't find the lack of audibles that big a deal. The team just needs to execute the play.


Really? So if the Dolphins are in a run play and the defense stacks the line with 8 or 9 guys, you don't think it would be a good idea to give the QB the option to change the play? You think the offense should miraculously block more guys than they have blockers?

Or vice versa... if you're in the redzone and you expect the defense to drop 8 and you're in a pass play, you don't think it would be a good idea to have the option to change the play to a run?


Where does it say he has no option? That's an assumption you're rolling with and it has no foundation.

It says guys will see things differently, not that these guys don't have options.

_________________
A good RB is nice, a good QB even better, but it's best to be able to stop someone first.


Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.