View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Synergy Exists Between Marshall And Pennington; Other Notes 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Synergy Exists Between Marshall And Pennington; Other Notes
Quote:
Getting comfortable with each other as quarterback and receiver is something Brandon Marshall and Chad Pennington started in earnest before training camp even began at the end of July.

Now that Pennington has resumed his role as the starter for the Miami Dolphins, a decision that was made official by Head Coach Tony Sparano on Tuesday, he and Marshall will get to see how much their offseason work paid off on Sunday against the Tennessee Titans.

“I got a lot of work in with Chad this offseason,” said Marshall, who leads Miami in receptions with 52 for 618 yards and a touchdown. “When I first got here we worked out together over at St. Thomas Aquinas high school and I got an opportunity to get on the same page with him early. He’s a tough guy, a team player, a motivator and a competitor.”

For Marshall, who still stands behind Chad Henne and his potential as a top-notch quarterback in the NFL, he has a lot of confidence in Pennington’s ability to lead the offense and use his 11 years of experience to jumpstart the offense.

“I think we all know by now Pennington’s more than capable,” Marshall said. “He led this team a couple years ago to the playoffs so there’s definitely no drop-off there. I think he’ll give our offense a little spark. … We have to do a better job with Pennington back there making more plays and making him look good, too.”

Even when he was on the sidelines as Henne’s backup, Pennington was studying the tendencies of all of the receivers – Marshall, Davone Bess, Brian Hartline, Roberto Wallace and tight end Anthony Fasano. He has played in games with Bess, Hartline and Fasano before, but never with Marshall, so this will be a new test.

05:04 Thu 11-11-10 | by Andy Kent RSS
Getting comfortable with each other as quarterback and receiver is something Brandon Marshall and Chad Pennington started in earnest before training camp even began at the end of July.

Now that Pennington has resumed his role as the starter for the Miami Dolphins, a decision that was made official by Head Coach Tony Sparano on Tuesday, he and Marshall will get to see how much their offseason work paid off on Sunday against the Tennessee Titans.

“I got a lot of work in with Chad this offseason,” said Marshall, who leads Miami in receptions with 52 for 618 yards and a touchdown. “When I first got here we worked out together over at St. Thomas Aquinas high school and I got an opportunity to get on the same page with him early. He’s a tough guy, a team player, a motivator and a competitor.”

This will be the first of back-to-back home games in a four-day span at Sun Life Stadium for the Dolphins and the beginning of a very important stretch midway through the season. They are 4-4 and currently sit two games back of the New England Patriots and New York Jets in the AFC East, so any hopes of a playoff must begin with a victory over Tennessee.

For Marshall, who still stands behind Chad Henne and his potential as a top-notch quarterback in the NFL, he has a lot of confidence in Pennington’s ability to lead the offense and use his 11 years of experience to jumpstart the offense.

“I think we all know by now Pennington’s more than capable,” Marshall said. “He led this team a couple years ago to the playoffs so there’s definitely no drop-off there. I think he’ll give our offense a little spark. … We have to do a better job with Pennington back there making more plays and making him look good, too.”

Even when he was on the sidelines as Henne’s backup, Pennington was studying the tendencies of all of the receivers – Marshall, Davone Bess, Brian Hartline, Roberto Wallace and tight end Anthony Fasano. He has played in games with Bess, Hartline and Fasano before, but never with Marshall, so this will be a new test.

The fact that Pennington is just two years removed from taking a Dolphins team that went 2-4 in its first six teams to a 9-1 finish and a berth in the playoffs is an added plus. He has been to the postseason four times in his career, three with the New York Jets (2002, 2004 and 2006), so he knows what it takes.

“I just think as an offense we’ve got to make sure that we create a spark,” said Pennington, who is 43-37 overall as a starter and 11-8 with the Dolphins. “Offensive football is about energy; it’s about momentum, it’s about synergy and it’s about a feeling you have. None of that happens with stats. It’s not a statistic that you can throw at it. We’ve got to find a way to create sparks during games and when there’s a chance to stick a dagger in a team and take their heart out, we’ve got to do it.”

Opposing defenses have made it their mission to take Marshall out of the equation by double and triple-teaming him, which has forced Sparano and offensive coordinator Dan Henning to try to come up with creative ways to free him up in the pattern. He has been brought into motion and flipped from one side to the other, but inside the Red Zone and on deep routes it’s remained tough.

One of the things that Pennington brings into the mix is his veteran savvy and ability to exploit mismatches to the point where the defenses have to make adjustments. That’s when one or two big plays can open up for Marshall.

“This guy Pennington, he’s been in the league forever and he’s seen a lot of football,” Marshall said. “Just to have such a young group, we may need that right now. That’s my opinion. I’m a wide receiver and I’ve been in the league for five years. That’s not a lot of experience so there are a lot of things that I haven’t seen and Pennington has that ability to show us some things in our room.”

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/syner ... ther-notes

Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]