View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Henne was benched for not making plays 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Henne was benched for not making plays
Plays like the overthrow to Fasano in the endzone. Henne was missing simple TD passes if he just makes a college throw. Brandon Marshall singled up on a 5'8" CB, waiving his arm calling for the ball, CB has deep position..throw the ball short. Make it a jump ball. Henne overthrows everyone including the CB. Easy throw and catch, I can make that throw. He missed it. Henne was too quick to pull his eyes off downfield. Often he would have time in the pocket and he would either panic and run or pull the ball down and move to a point where he'd be sacked. As big a QB has he is, he looks afraid to try and make a play and lacks pocket awareness. You see guys like Ryan and Big Ben simply throwing the ball with guys hanging on them. Henne tucks his head in his best ever Dan Fouts imitation. For what its worth, he wasn't that way most of last year and this appears to have been coached into him.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:06 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Post Re: Henne was benched for not making plays
NFLJunkie wrote:
he wasn't that way most of last year and this appears to have been coached into him.

and thats a scary thought.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:27 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Junkie , I agree. He reminds me of guys that had over-bearing fathers or mothers. They are afraid to make a decision or a mistake. The results are taking the easy way out-pass to the checkdown receiver or not having confidence in your arm so you tend to aim resulting in some wild passes.

I really don't think he plays relaxed and loose.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:43 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

MTFan wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
he wasn't that way most of last year and this appears to have been coached into him.

They might have ruined him.

That's why I'm saying it might be good to bench him. Better than him learning bad habits under this crap system.

I guess sitting him is the lesser of the two evils?

Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Plays like the overthrow to Fasano in the endzone. Henne was missing simple TD passes if he just makes a college throw. Brandon Marshall singled up on a 5'8" CB, waiving his arm calling for the ball, CB has deep position..throw the ball short. Make it a jump ball. Henne overthrows everyone including the CB. Easy throw and catch, I can make that throw. He missed it. Henne was too quick to pull his eyes off downfield. Often he would have time in the pocket and he would either panic and run or pull the ball down and move to a point where he'd be sacked. As big a QB has he is, he looks afraid to try and make a play and lacks pocket awareness. You see guys like Ryan and Big Ben simply throwing the ball with guys hanging on them. Henne tucks his head in his best ever Dan Fouts imitation. For what its worth, he wasn't that way most of last year and this appears to have been coached into him.

Our coaches preach taking care of the football and not turning it over. Big Ben fumbles as much as any quarterback in the NFL because he's always trying to throw when guys are hanging on him. Henne is just concerned with securing the football when guys are missing their blocks. I'd much rather have a quarterback tuck and go down instead of taking a nasty sack or making a bad throw.
As far as you making some of these "college thows", it's easier said than done. If I'm not mistaken Marshall tripped and flat out fell down on that play. He was trying to draw a penalty instead of catching the pass. If Marshall would have done a better job of staying on his feet that ball would have been there. It was a good throw, it was in a spot where only Marshall could have caught it. This whole concept of just throwing it up is silly. Good quarterbacks do take shots down the field, but they do it smart. They put the ball where only the receiver has a chance to catch it. No quarterback just lobs it up there and makes it a jump ball. When jump ball situations occur it's because the quarterback underthrew it.
My opinion on why Henne was benched, it's because the offense is stale right now. Sparano is evaluating our offense right now and trying to fix whatever the problem is. He is trying to find out if Henning or Henne is the problem. When Pennington takes the field this Sunday we will find out.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:21 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

wkloiber13 wrote:
Big Ben fumbles as much as any quarterback in the NFL because he's always trying to throw when guys are hanging on him. Henne is just concerned with securing the football when guys are missing their blocks. I'd much rather have a quarterback tuck and go down instead of taking a nasty sack or making a bad throw.

oh, is that the same QB who has won 2 super bowls?

Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:05 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I'd much rather have a quarterback tuck and go down instead of taking a nasty sack or making a bad throw.

I would take Ben in a heartbeat. Henne isn't even under pressure and he still throws picks.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
MTFan wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

They might have ruined him.

That's why I'm saying it might be good to bench him. Better than him learning bad habits under this crap system.

I guess sitting him is the lesser of the two evils?

What is so crappy about the system? I mean, it's only be a proven recipe for success for decades.

Was it a crappy system in 08 when we were 11-5?

All of our problems stem from 1 factor. We cannot run the ball with any consistency.

It is not the system.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
I'd much rather have a quarterback tuck and go down instead of taking a nasty sack or making a bad throw.

I would take Ben in a heartbeat. Henne isn't even under pressure and he still throws picks.

If only he could get his WR to stay on their feet & stop tipping passes.

Off the top of my head I know that half of Henne's picks have either came from Wr issues that he cannot control or end of the game when you have to take chances. Other than that his Ints have not been an issue.

Everyone loves Flacco & he threw a horrible pick last night. It happens, but Miami fans seem to not understand that.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MTFan wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
Big Ben fumbles as much as any quarterback in the NFL because he's always trying to throw when guys are hanging on him. Henne is just concerned with securing the football when guys are missing their blocks. I'd much rather have a quarterback tuck and go down instead of taking a nasty sack or making a bad throw.

Both while playing in an offensive system virtually identical to ours. Run the football, stop the run, win the TO differential.

His first SB win was when he was throwing 15-20 times a game, and with the help of. A dominant running game.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:55 pm
Profile WWW

eleaf wrote:
What is so crappy about the system? I mean, it's only be a proven recipe for success for decades.

All of our problems stem from 1 factor. We cannot run the ball with any consistency.

It is not the system.

When Pennington ran/runs it, it becomes a good one because he fits it well. Mine as well be built for him.

But we tried to turn Henne into a Pennington-like QB to fit our system, and it didn't/hasn't worked. He's not just a game manager.

So when Henne is in there, yeah, it's a crap system.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
eleaf wrote:

It is not the system.

When Pennington ran/runs it, it becomes a good one because he fits it well. Mine as well be built for him.

But we tried to turn Henne into a Pennington-like QB to fit our system, and it didn't/hasn't worked. He's not just a game manager.

That is the most backwards logic I have ever read.

Either the system is good or it isn't. You can't have a constant change. Reality doesn't work that way.

If you want to argue that Henne isn't fit for the system, fine. But you can't blame the system when it has been shown to work well.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:24 pm
Profile WWW

eleaf wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
eleaf wrote:

It is not the system.

That is the most backwards logic I have ever read.

Either the system is good or it isn't. You can't have a constant change. Reality doesn't work that way.

If you want to argue that Henne isn't fit for the system, fine. But you can't blame the system when it has been shown to work well.

That's what I'm saying. Whether you like Henning or not, or like Henne or not...It just isn't a good marriage. Henne doesn't fit in this system.

When Henne is in shotgun and allowed to throw the ball down field, that's when he's at his best. Dan Henning doesn't let him do that, and tells him the opposite. It's gotten to a point where Henne is even more gun shy and conservative than Henning.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

That's what I'm saying. Whether you like Henning or not, or like Henne or not...It just isn't a good marriage. Henne doesn't fit in this system.

When Henne is in shotgun and allowed to throw the ball down field, that's when he's at his best. Dan Henning doesn't let him do that, and tells him the opposite. It's gotten to a point where Henne is even more gun shy and conservative than Henning.

I read that Jim Miller recently did an interview where he stated that Henning's offense is not very QB-friendly .... That not many have been too successful in it. Haven't actually looked back at the stats though.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Is it Henne's fault or "the systems" fault.....all this back and forth trying to figure that one out, but at the end of the day Henne wasnt getting the job done on a consistent basis and during critical junctures of the game. The guy would still stare down at spots where alot of his interceptions took place.

Even with all the drops, receivers falling down or running bad routes, Henne was still inconsistent. In fact, as a fan, I was always nervous he would throw a pick, so that didnt give me much confidence either.

He is still young, did he or did he not get enough time at this point to just continue to struggle through the growing pains? I dont know, but I want Miami to win now, this season. At this point, I want to see what Pennington can do and if he can help turn this season around.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:22 am

MTFan wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Excellent Response spot on in fact. But remember this is a Dolphin Board ... rings are not everything.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:10 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:

I think you are unfairly blaming the coaches for something Henne has already talked about.

Quote:
Dolphins quarterback Chad Henne finally admitted Thursday he is more comfortable under center than in the shotgun. This explains why the Dolphins keep him there at times even in obvious passing downs.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-1 ... red-odrick

Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:36 am

wkloiber13 wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Our coaches preach taking care of the football and not turning it over. Big Ben fumbles as much as any quarterback in the NFL because he's always trying to throw when guys are hanging on him. Henne is just concerned with securing the football when guys are missing their blocks. I'd much rather have a quarterback tuck and go down instead of taking a nasty sack or making a bad throw.
As far as you making some of these "college thows", it's easier said than done. If I'm not mistaken Marshall tripped and flat out fell down on that play. He was trying to draw a penalty instead of catching the pass. If Marshall would have done a better job of staying on his feet that ball would have been there. It was a good throw, it was in a spot where only Marshall could have caught it. This whole concept of just throwing it up is silly. Good quarterbacks do take shots down the field, but they do it smart. They put the ball where only the receiver has a chance to catch it. No quarterback just lobs it up there and makes it a jump ball. When jump ball situations occur it's because the quarterback underthrew it.
My opinion on why Henne was benched, it's because the offense is stale right now. Sparano is evaluating our offense right now and trying to fix whatever the problem is. He is trying to find out if Henning or Henne is the problem. When Pennington takes the field this Sunday we will find out.

When Brandon Marshall is singled up on a CB he will win EVERY jump ball, the sooner Miami QB's learn this the more points this offense will score. The play I singled out was where Henne overthrew Marshall with the CB behind him. All Henne had to do was throw it short. He was just leaving too many plays on the field. The overthrow to Fasaon last weekend was done 3-4 times this year with many of those ending in FGs. Defending Henne now is pointless. He's suffering a sophomore slump...second season starting.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:11 pm

AQNOR wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I think you are unfairly blaming the coaches for something Henne has already talked about.

Quote:
Dolphins quarterback Chad Henne finally admitted Thursday he is more comfortable under center than in the shotgun. This explains why the Dolphins keep him there at times even in obvious passing downs.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-1 ... red-odrick

The shotgun is a valuable offensive tool against teams like the Jets. Just another reason he should be benched until he gets comfortable with it in practice

Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ben Roethlisberger is a top-notch QB. Yes, he had a good running game around him. Still, he made plenty of big throws and was a big part of their winning season. He was 14-1 as a starter that first year.....including playoffs. He has steadily improved (surviving some character and motorcycle issues along the way :) ) and is amongst the best in the game now.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Ben Roethlisberger is a top-notch QB. Yes, he had a good running game around him. Still, he made plenty of big throws and was a big part of their winning season. He was 14-1 as a starter that first year.....including playoffs.
Yes, but he was not put in bad situations majority of the time. When you can limit that & protect him with a great running game & tough D he will then tend to succeed. Ben was in a perfect situation that would have been hard for any QB with any talent to fail.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yes, Ben came into a good situation. No, "any QB with any talent" will not yield the same results.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:01 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Well, Henne to me is also suffering from the running game's collapse, we are averaging 30 yds less per game and have only 2 or 3 rushing Td's, the cat is 24 and in taking his baby steps as a Qb, can we get him some help out there?

Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]