View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Miami Dolphins: Updating A.J. Edds 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Miami Dolphins: Updating A.J. Edds
Quote:
by: Mike Berardino November 24th, 2010 | 9:08 AM Let’s face it, the 2010 Miami Dolphins draft class has been borderline cursed.
First-rounder Jared Odrick and fourth-rounder A.J. Edds have landed on injured reserve. They will play in one regular-season game between them.
Third-rounder John Jerry missed four games after falling ill. Fifth-rounders Nolan Carroll and Reshad Jones both got dinged up against the Steelers and missed a combined three games in subsequent weeks.

Only second-rounder Koa Misi has been able to avoid the injury bug so far (fingers crossed) out of the six players taken in the first five rounds.
Add it up, and the Dolphins have lost 26 combined games due to injury/illness among this draft class. That number will reach 38, minimum, by season’s end.
By comparison, the 2009 Dolphins draft class missed zero games due to injury. Patrick Turner was inactive 14 times, but injuries weren’t the reason. Pat White left the season finale with a concussion, but there were no games left to miss after that.
Anyway, this has been a weird year, so I decided to check in with Edds for an update on the inside linebacker’s progress. What I found left me encouraged about his chances of helping this defense in 2011 but also made me realize what he could have meant to this year’s group, especially in light of these recurring struggles on third and long.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... l+Blogs%29

Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:20 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Miami Dolphins: Updating A.J. Edds
I really hope we get to see some of this guy next year. His pass cover looked good from his highlight youtube vids, although since Pat White I will always take them with a grain of salt)

But Edds looks like he could be a solid ILB, even if he just comes in on certain situations.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:41 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Odrick would have certainly helped us out on running situations this season. He looked solid in his one outing this year. Edds was supposed to be our 3rd down cover backer this year. Instead it's been a carousel of other backers replacing Crowder on 3rd and long. Maybe if Edds was in there we wouldn't be allowing teams to convert such a high percentage of 3rd and longs. It's been our defense's ability to get off the field in those situations that has held us back from being an elite defense this year. I think when Merling, Odrick, Edds, and Allen return we will be a top five defense.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:24 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

You know Nolan has taken a lot of criticism this year over our defense, and some of it is deserved. I am, however, calling for him to keep his job another year at least. The injuries to this defense have been staggering. Not only do we have a very young core on defense, but they injuries to this squad have left us with many backups on the field. I think in evaluating Nolan, you have to consider what the setbacks of injury and age have had on his system.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:21 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Does anyone know how much these guys are doing with the team on a daily basis righjt now????

Do they go to meetings and practice or do they just get treatment??

Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't know what it is about Miami....our players have been dropping like flies for years.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Another thing....we always hear how things would be better if only our rookies weren't hurt. How the hell do we know whether or not they will have an impact on the field at all....they aren't playing!!!! Odrick played one darn game and I keep hearing how much he would help our defense. Tell you what...we could have drafted Dez Bryant. The guy is as solid as you can get as a rookie WR and kicks butt in the return game. Since we never had Odrick playing really, our defense is already respectable without him....our offense and special teams would have been better with Bryant...

Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:06 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Another thing....we always hear how things would be better if only our rookies weren't hurt. How the hell do we know whether or not they will have an impact on the field at all....they aren't playing!!!! Odrick played one darn game and I keep hearing how much he would help our defense. Tell you what...we could have drafted Dez Bryant. The guy is as solid as you can get as a rookie WR and kicks butt in the return game. Since we never had Odrick playing really, our defense is already respectable without him....our offense and special teams would have been better with Bryant...

Rookies getting game experience, feeling that game speed and playing instead of sitting on the bench with a banged up leg / arm / or whatever, is what helps with the future of a team. Relax guy, it's football. Nobody "knows" for a fact, they are simply saying that it sure couldn't have hurt to have them out there, at minimum, to see what they have and get that experience under their belt.

Yeah, offenses are REALLY threatened by our D on third downs. We have dominated third downs this year haven't we? When it gets to third downs, I just sit back in my chair and tell myself, no way they pick this first down up, we're gettting off the field. *sarcasm eye roll*

Dez Bryant is going to be a solid player in the league, I'll agree, but he was held to ZERO, as in.... NOT ONE catch against the Saints yesterday.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:26 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dez Bryant would have made this team better. A.J. Edds, Odrick and company are just wishful thinking. When you get a chance to draft a play maker, you have to do it....Miami very seldom does.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:58 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Dez Bryant would have made this team better. A.J. Edds, Odrick and company are just wishful thinking. When you get a chance to draft a play maker, you have to do it....Miami very seldom does.

What about Ted Ginn Jr & his family? :ann0y:

Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:56 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Odrick would have helped this team tremendously. We're getting no pressure on 3rd down from the interior, which is what he was providing in Buffalo and the Pre Season.

Edds would be huge on those 3rd and long situations as well.

Dez was a character concern coming out, and apparently does not even know his entire playbook yet. We have enough problems getting the ball into Marshall's hands....WR isn't the issue in Miami.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:48 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham would have made alot of sense for this team.
I just don't think Fasano alone is enough in the tight end department.
I particularly thought Graham was a great value. A Gates type of player who can overpower defenders for the ball and break away for touchdowns.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]