View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 
 Henning : "we didn’t abandon the run, the run abandoned us" 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Henning : "we didn’t abandon the run, the run abandoned us"
Quote:
Henning also brought up the Dolphins’ horrific running game, which produced just 39 yards, lowest output of Tony Sparano’s 43-game tenure in South Florida. Just 12 of those rushing yards came from someone other than a scrambling Thigpen, and the running backs had just seven rushing attempts combined.

“I hear you guys and I hear the fans and I hear Coach Sparano on occasion: ‘Why didn’t we run the ball?’ ” Henning said. “Well, we didn’t abandon the run, the run abandoned us in the game.”

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... l+Blogs%29

:shock:

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:44 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Henning : "we didn’t abandon the run, the run abandoned us"
:thinking:

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:58 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

So in addition to being a really lousy coordinator, senility has fully set in.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Henning has abandoned sanity.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Here's what I heard, "I hear the HEAD COACH but choose to do nothing about it."

Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:44 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Will somebody please wheel Henning into Shady Pines... :hithead:

Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:05 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

“You understand I’ve been retired twice, so job security is not something I worry about. I worry about trying to take what we have and doing the best we can with it.” A complacent coach at the end of his career, who also throws his players under the bus to defend his playcalling? Sign the retirement papers already..

Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

themarchingsnail wrote:
You understand I’ve been retired twice, so job security is not something I worry about. I worry about trying to take what we have and doing the best we can with it.” A complacent coach at the end of his career, who also throws his players under the bus to defend his playcalling? Sign the retirement papers already..

Obviously
:hithead:

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:24 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

I hate that man with a passion.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:26 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I suppose the Wildcat also abandoned us? on a day when nothing else was working .... shame on you for not at least thinking of calling it a couple of times ....

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:47 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

winstonwolf99 wrote:
I suppose the Wildcat also abandoned us? on a day when nothing else was working .... shame on you for not at least thinking of calling it a couple of times ....

The Chicago game was a perfect chance to utilize the Wildcat. It was a short week so the Bears would have had little time to prepare for it. We were banged up with injuries to key offensive players and the run game is the perfect thing to take pressure off of your backup quarterback and injured left tackle/center.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:35 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phins Rock wrote:

I was trying to give him leeway at the beginning of the season since he has a successful resume as an offensive coordinator, but I feel like a real idiot now. I am sure that Coach Sparano will get an OC at the end of this season that will run the offense as he wants it to run.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:49 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:29 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Iowafin wrote:
Here's what I heard, "I hear the HEAD COACH but choose to do nothing about it."

That's called insubordination where I work.

The run abandoned us? Really? So if your first two or three running plays don't work, that's it? Time to abandon it?

What a moron. This guy needs to go.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:19 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

winstonwolf99 wrote:

Am I the only one who finds irony in statements like these?

Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:25 am

Big Dave wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I was trying to give him leeway at the beginning of the season since he has a successful resume as an offensive coordinator, but I feel like a real idiot now. I am sure that Coach Sparano will get an OC at the end of this season that will run the offense as he wants it to run.

Dave, I thought he had a good past too.

Come to find out, (can't find the thread on Finheaven), in 28 years as an OC, he has only had 8 top ten offenses. EIGHT. That's terrible.

Why is this guy so well respected?

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
winstonwolf99 wrote:

Not so much irony as both stupidity and hypocrisy. I can't tell you how many times I've heard this season that it's time we give up on the WC, and that it needs to be retired. Then we don't run it, and people wonder where it is.

By "the run abandoned us" he's referring to far more than just that one game. We've run an average of 26 times per game, but have a slack average of just 3.8 YPC. The WC has less than 2 YPC this season. Some calculations (that factor in penalties) showed it as actually producing less than 1 YPC this season. Our OLine was tattered and in shambles v Chicago (we couldn't block anyone at all) with a 3rd string C (who's really a guard), a beat up J Long, a struggling Carey, and a rookie who had just returned from injury, we had a QB that refused to call running plays at the LOS because Chicago was playing run all the way, daring Thigpen to beat them (and for some reason he thought he could so kept calling for big passing plays when running was a perfectly legitimate option), and we were playing against the #2 rushing defense who allows just 78 yards per game.

I have no problem accepting that "the run abandoned us".

The running game has been pretty bad all year (we're ranked 21). We've had 0 consistency. We've had blocking issues all year (no athleticism at all). All year, we have been a team that has wanted to run but can't (and we have this platooning system that is terrible).

Versus Chicago:

Drive 1: 2 Rushing plays for -6 yards (5 total plays)
Drive 2: 2 Rushing plays for -8 yards (4 total plays)
Drive 3: 1 Rushing play for 5 yards (4 total plays - ended with pick)
Drive 4: 1 Rushing play for -3 yards (6 total plays - this is also the drive spelled out by Sparano as the one in which there were 4 run/pass option plays called sequentially, in which Thigpen chose pass on 3 of them)
Drive 5: 0 Rushing plays for 0 yards (all inside 2 minutes)

Those were our drives during the first half, and also account for penalties on rushing plays (there was 1 during the second drive). We ran a total of 23 plays (not including punts) on 5 drives, and 6 were rushing plays for a grand total of -12 yards. It was also noted by Sparano that there were numerous run/pass options, and the overwhelming majority of the time Thigpen chose pass.

What exactly is it that you expect from the rushing game when it's netting negative yards for an entire half? I would characterize "the run abandoned us" as absolutely accurate.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

eleaf wrote:
By "the run abandoned us" he's referring to far more than just that one game. We've run an average of 26 times per game, but have a slack average of just 3.8 YPC.

The running game has been pretty bad all year (we're ranked 21).

What exactly is it that you expect from the rushing game when it's netting negative yards for an entire half? I would characterize "the run abandoned us" as absolutely accurate.

I'm not sure if we can redefine a running game that is gaining 3.8 ypc and ranks 21st in the NFL as "abandoning" the team. It isn't strong, but you don't abandon it because you aren't getting 4.0 ypc. And the Dolphins were not at the point in the Bears game to give up on the run. Once you do that you play right into the defense's hands by becoming one-dimensional ... which produces very little when they are prepared just for the pass.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
eleaf wrote:
By "the run abandoned us" he's referring to far more than just that one game. We've run an average of 26 times per game, but have a slack average of just 3.8 YPC.

The running game has been pretty bad all year (we're ranked 21).

I'm not sure if we can redefine a running game that is gaining 3.8 ypc and ranks 21st in the NFL as "abandoning" the team. It isn't strong, but you don't abandon it because you aren't getting 4.0 ypc. And the Dolphins were not at the point in the Bears game to give up on the run. Once you do that you play right into the defense's hands by becoming one-dimensional ... which produces very little when they are prepared just for the pass.

1) Don't take things out of context. You skipped an entire portion of my argument, cherry picking what works for your POV and ignoring the meat and potatoes.

2) Even if we do take his comment to mean that the run abandoned us in this game alone, the stats bear that out (even better than my 1/2-( | )ed argument for the entire season being a wash in the running game). After a full half and a whole 23 offensive plays, we netted -12 yards rushing. That's -2 yards per rushing play. Over the course of a full half.

The reality is that through an entire half, running the ball = moving backwards. Only 2 of the 6 rushing plays were for positive yards. Running the ball was pointless after that. We didn't stop running the ball after just 1 series. We tried for a full half and got nowhere (no drive had more than 6 plays, and we were in 3rd and long all night) . And even when we might have had the opportunity to run the ball, Thigpen (stupidly) decided that throwing was the better option almost every time.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

eleaf wrote:
1) Don't take things out of context. You skipped an entire portion of my argument, cherry picking what works for your POV and ignoring the meat and potatoes.

A little defensive, aren't we? I took your comments that summarized what you said, but left out the "data of proof" as there is not reason to post the entire post. Anyone can go back and reread it.

eleaf wrote:
2) Even if we do take his comment to mean that the run abandoned us in this game alone, the stats bear that out (even better than my 1/2-( | )ed argument for the entire season being a wash in the running game). After a full half and a whole 23 offensive plays, we netted -12 yards rushing. That's -2 yards per rushing play. Over the course of a full half.

The reality is that through an entire half, running the ball = moving backwards. Only 2 of the 6 rushing plays were for positive yards. Running the ball was pointless after that. We didn't stop running the ball after just 1 series. We tried for a full half and got nowhere (no drive had more than 6 plays, and we were in 3rd and long all night) . And even when we might have had the opportunity to run the ball, Thigpen (stupidly) decided that throwing was the better option almost every time.

The running game was poor, but since the game finished at 16-0, there was no reason to abandon it. You still run the ball even if it seems pointless unless you have Dan the Man running the offense. The last I looked we had noone even close to being the proven gunslinger that he was. You still have to try to run the ball to keep the defense honest.

BTW, giving the ball to the back 5 times in the first quarter and once in the 2nd quarter is not " Over the course of a full half". I think the bottom line is that the Dolphins abandoned the run prematurely. The passing game wasn't doing much better. Maybe we can say the passing game gave up on the pass as well;)

Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
winstonwolf99 wrote:

The Chicago game was a perfect chance to utilize the Wildcat. It was a short week so the Bears would have had little time to prepare for it. We were banged up with injuries to key offensive players and the run game is the perfect thing to take pressure off of your backup quarterback and injured left tackle/center.

That's not necessarily true. They run their own package with Hester so I'm fairly certain the defense has also practiced against it. Most teams run some variation of it these days.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:07 pm

I get that Henning is gone after the season & rightfully so. Im just curious however who really thinks that if we come back with a new OC no matter who it is while still having Brown & Williams as our backs if it makes much of a difference as far as the running game goes. Im of the opinion one of them goes & we draft a RB.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:08 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

eleaf wrote:
Phin wrote:
winstonwolf99 wrote:

Not so much irony as both stupidity and hypocrisy. I can't tell you how many times I've heard this season that it's time we give up on the WC, and that it needs to be retired. Then we don't run it, and people wonder where it is.

By "the run abandoned us" he's referring to far more than just that one game. We've run an average of 26 times per game, but have a slack average of just 3.8 YPC. The WC has less than 2 YPC this season. Some calculations (that factor in penalties) showed it as actually producing less than 1 YPC this season. Our OLine was tattered and in shambles v Chicago (we couldn't block anyone at all) with a 3rd string C (who's really a guard), a beat up J Long, a struggling Carey, and a rookie who had just returned from injury, we had a QB that refused to call running plays at the LOS because Chicago was playing run all the way, daring Thigpen to beat them (and for some reason he thought he could so kept calling for big passing plays when running was a perfectly legitimate option), and we were playing against the #2 rushing defense who allows just 78 yards per game.

I have no problem accepting that "the run abandoned us".

The running game has been pretty bad all year (we're ranked 21). We've had 0 consistency. We've had blocking issues all year (no athleticism at all). All year, we have been a team that has wanted to run but can't (and we have this platooning system that is terrible).

Versus Chicago:

Drive 1: 2 Rushing plays for -6 yards (5 total plays)
Drive 2: 2 Rushing plays for -8 yards (4 total plays)
Drive 3: 1 Rushing play for 5 yards (4 total plays - ended with pick)
Drive 4: 1 Rushing play for -3 yards (6 total plays - this is also the drive spelled out by Sparano as the one in which there were 4 run/pass option plays called sequentially, in which Thigpen chose pass on 3 of them)
Drive 5: 0 Rushing plays for 0 yards (all inside 2 minutes)

Those were our drives during the first half, and also account for penalties on rushing plays (there was 1 during the second drive). We ran a total of 23 plays (not including punts) on 5 drives, and 6 were rushing plays for a grand total of -12 yards. It was also noted by Sparano that there were numerous run/pass options, and the overwhelming majority of the time Thigpen chose pass.

Dude I get it because you are the only one in this entire world with Dan Henning Glasses on. Every thread you absolutely defend Dan Henning. This tells me the logical solution is that.............YOU are Dan Henning. And if it is true, get the f--k over yourself because you are the worst OC in the entire league.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:12 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

eleaf wrote:
Phin wrote:
winstonwolf99 wrote:

Irony and hypocrisy hey? Let's put this in perspective ... the Wildcat this season has been used sparingly, and usually has been called at the wrong time in the game, when we were driving and consistently moving the chains, or had the ball in the oppostion half. It therefore became a drive killer, a momentum stopper, a confidence sapper, when things WERE already working. That's what upsets most people, the TIMING. Therefore, my point is that the OC doesn't know WHEN or how to use the Wildcat ... and the Chicago game where we had no momentum WAS the right time to call it at least a few times, as it was intended ... a change-up play when nothing else seemed to be working. (Plus you gotta agree that Wildcat is a safer option thatn a botched Thigpen to Hartline end-around)

Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:31 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Phins Rock wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Dave, I thought he had a good past too.

Come to find out, (can't find the thread on Finheaven), in 28 years as an OC, he has only had 8 top ten offenses. EIGHT. That's terrible.

Why is this guy so well respected?

He was the OC for the skins when they won their two superbowls in the eighties, and the OC for panthers when they lost the Superbowl...I had respect for the guy as a coach, but he's a mule.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
eleaf wrote:

A little defensive, aren't we? I took your comments that summarized what you said, but left out the "data of proof" as there is not reason to post the entire post. Anyone can go back and reread it.

eleaf wrote:

Quote:
The running game was poor, but since the game finished at 16-0, there was no reason to abandon it. You still run the ball even if it seems pointless unless you have Dan the Man running the offense. The last I looked we had noone even close to being the proven gunslinger that he was. You still have to try to run the ball to keep the defense honest.

When you're net gain is in the negative, there is every reason to stop what it is that you're doing. And, unless Thigpen was netting in the negative (which he wasn't), we had some success (which isn't an endorsement); certainly more success than -12 yards.

Quote:
BTW, giving the ball to the back 5 times in the first quarter and once in the 2nd quarter is not " Over the course of a full half". I think the bottom line is that the Dolphins abandoned the run prematurely. The passing game wasn't doing much better. Maybe we can say the passing game gave up on the pass as well;)

Except that it was over the course of a full half. We only ran 23 offensive plays the entire half. When exactly were we supposed to run the ball more during the half? There was no real opportunity to run it.

The first drive, we ran on 2nd down for 3 yards to get a 1st down - then we tried he reverse which left us in 2-19. Then 3-15.

The second drive, we ran on 1st down but had a penalty which left us in 1-20. We ran it again for 2 yards, 2-18, then were in 3-9.

The third drive we ran on 2-10 which left us in 3-5.

The fourth drive we ran for -3 yards on 1-10 to leave us in 2-13, then 3-13.

The fifth drive was under the 2 minute drill (so you wouldn't expect a run anyways).

When were we supposed to dedicate to the run? Which run do you call on 3-15? Or 3-9? Or 3-5 (there is an argument that one could run the ball in this situation, but most every team in the league wouldn't even try)? Or 3-13?

We could have run the ball on first down more, but we need to take in to account 2 things (especially when it comes to criticism on this board):

1) How many times have we read people yap about our play calling being too predictable on 1st down by calling runs? Would running the ball every first down have pleased us here? I doubt it. Of the 2 (technically 3 with a penalty) times we tried to run on 1st down in the first half, we gained a net -11 yards (a 10 yard penalty, a 2 yard gain, and a -3 yard loss).

2) Thigpen, according to Sparano, routinely called passing plays when he had the option to run (including times when we should have run).

An entire half of running the football went for a grand total of -12 yards. You don't keep calling runs when they move us backwards. And even when we did call them in the second half, we were no better than 2nd and long EVERY SINGLE TIME WE TRIED TO RUN. Continuing to run the ball served NO purpose whatsoever. And you have to account for the fact that we only had 4 possessions in the second half (with the exception of a final last ditch effort to avoid a shutout with less than 2 minutes).

So unless you're advocating that we run every first down, or run in 3rd and long, you can't really argue that we abandoned anything at all.

Henning is right. When looked at objectively (looking at when we did try to run and the utter lack of success doing it), the only conclusion one can draw is that the run abandoned us.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

finfan808 wrote:

Dude I get it because you are the only one in this entire world with Dan Henning Glasses on. Every thread you absolutely defend Dan Henning. This tells me the logical solution is that.............YOU are Dan Henning. And if it is true, get the f--k over yourself because you are the worst OC in the entire league.

Two things:

1) You need to learn to discern between "defending" and "not placing all blame on". Clearly you can't. There is a difference

All I've suggested is that our lack of execution in the running game is a MUCH bigger problem than Dan Henning. If you can't see the difference between that and "Dan Henning is TEH BEST!" you're an idiot.

2) You need to learn a bit of respect and decorum.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

So what was his excuse in the Baltimore game, was 6 carries for 45 yards on the opening drive and abandonment by the running game?

Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:10 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I think it's obvious there's a combination of predictable playcalling, plays being ran either too little or too much. But the big one for me isn't always the plays being callled but the situational play calling.
For example the initial TWO drives after the bears go up sixteen to zero. Our offense comes out and 1st down RUN, 2nd down PASS, 3rd down PASS. both drives end with punts. Defense holds ten minutes left in the game, three consecutive pass plays all out of shotgun formation three and out. Defense holds yet again. The NEXT four plays are play action pass.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:43 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I think it's obvious there's a combination of predictable playcalling, plays being ran either too little or too much. But the big one for me isn't always the plays being callled but the situational play calling.
For example the initial TWO drives after the bears go up sixteen to zero. Our offense comes out and 1st down RUN, 2nd down PASS, 3rd down PASS. both drives end with punts. Defense holds, ten minutes left in the game, three consecutive pass plays all out of shotgun formation three and out. Defense holds yet again. The NEXT four plays are play action pass. Has there been a lack of execution ya, but we'd still be better with a random button as our OC.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:49 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
QUOTE TO NOTE: "Coach Henning is the same person each and every week. He doesn't change anything." -- Dolphins quarterback Tyler Thigpen on embattled offensive coordinator Dan Henning.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/Dolph ... port/67052

Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]