View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 OT Fishing Yesterday 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post OT Fishing Yesterday
Stoked!! Once the water temp hits 70 the grouper and hogfish move closer to shore. We went out 8 miles and caught our limit on grouper and I speared 3 hogfish. The 2 grouper were the biggest, 1 was on hook and line and the other I shot using a speargun while diving. All the hogfish were shot. What a beatiful day on the water. It really makes you wanna say screw the dolphins.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:09 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: OT Fishing Yesterday
I'm hitting the reef on Wednesday. We'll be fishing a drop off that goes from 30 to 60 feet and then to 120 feet right outside of Elliot Key. Hope I can hook up some grouper as well. Last time I pulled in a few.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:21 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Try 45 ft.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:23 am

I caught the one in the photo at about 40 feet... on cut ballyhoo. This was right after that very bad cold snap last winter. We actually caught a lot of fish... but there were a lot more floating around the surface, dead from the cold. Sad to see. Biscayne Bay still hasn't recovered.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:26 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I caught the one in the photo at about 40 feet... on cut ballyhoo. This was right after that very bad cold snap last winter. We actually caught a lot of fish... but there were a lot more floating around the surface, dead from the cold. Sad to see. Biscayne Bay still hasn't recovered.

I use that one for bait. LOL! The ledge we were on yesterday looked pretty good. There was coral and lots of fish on it. We could have cleaned up, but how much fish can you eat? Karma, you know?

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:33 am

Yeah I haven't had any luck pulling up monster grouper. Maybe I'm just fishing the wrong spots. The reefs outside Elliot Key are productive, but nothing worthy of mounting on a wall comes out of there. It is convenient for me though as the marina is right behind my house.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:35 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Wow! I am impressed with the size of those fish!

Keep living the dream, buddy!

Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:31 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

It's looking windy Friday but we are going to try to dive for stone crabs. We'll see....I'll post pics if we go.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:43 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:
It's looking windy Friday but we are going to try to dive for stone crabs. We'll see....I'll post pics if we go.

Take some underwater pictures if you have the equipment.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:09 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
Stoked!! Once the water temp hits 70 the grouper and hogfish move closer to shore. We went out 8 miles and caught our limit on grouper and I speared 3 hogfish. The 2 grouper were the biggest, 1 was on hook and line and the other I shot using a speargun while diving. All the hogfish were shot. What a beatiful day on the water. It really makes you wanna say screw the dolphins.

When I lived in Sarasota, my employer took my wife and I out for some fishing. We caught Grouper all day long, it was fantastic. I caught 6 that were easily this size. If I recall correctly, the black or more desired than the red, correct? The guy running the boat was in his 60s and he had fished the area his whole life. He kept saying that for Grouper, the bigger the bait, the bigger the fish. We were cutting decent sized fish in half and putting them on a hook. We knocked em dead that day.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:44 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

If I recall correctly, the black or more desired than the red, correct

Correct. These grouper are actually called "gag" grouper and are not "true" black grouper. True black grouper are deep water fish and are rarely caught shallow or sold commercially. Red grouper are the staple for the commercial industry, but they are full of worms. I rarely keep red grouper because it's kind of gross. You can pick the worms out while cleaning and it doesn't affect the meat at all. I target gag grouper for it's white "pure" meat.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:31 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Take some underwater pictures if you have the equipment.

My dad videos and takes pics. We have some cool pics but the underwater doesn't do the fish justice.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:33 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
If I recall correctly, the black or more desired than the red, correct

Correct. These grouper are actually called "gag" grouper and are not "true" black grouper. True black grouper are deep water fish and are rarely caught shallow or sold commercially. Red grouper are the staple for the commercial industry, but they are full of worms. I rarely keep red grouper because it's kind of gross. You can pick the worms out while cleaning and it doesn't affect the meat at all. I target gag grouper for it's white "pure" meat.

When we fished for them, we went 18 miles out into the gulf. I caught two Octopus that day as well. The captain said its rare to have one person catch an Octopus twice in one day. Guess I'm strange like that. haha

Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:15 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

When we fished for them, we went 18 miles out into the gulf. I caught two Octopus that day as well. The captain said its rare to have one person catch an Octopus twice in one day. Guess I'm strange like that. haha

We are 8 miles in these pics. The gag grouper migrates inshore during the winter to look for warmer water and bait. Funny you said that. One year we caught Octopi on every trip. We cut off two legs on each one (they grow back) and ate them as sashmi (raw on the boat). Very good and clean white meat.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]