View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Henne And Thigpen In The Dark On Who Starts At Oakland... 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Henne And Thigpen In The Dark On Who Starts At Oakland...
Henne And Thigpen In The Dark On Who Starts At Oakland; Other Notes
by Andy Kent
MiamiDolphins.com
http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/henne ... ts-oakland

Quote:
Tyler Thigpen and Chad Henne not only took turns taking snaps with the first team during Wednesday’s practice, but they also took turns holding press conferences in front of their lockers. By design, those two, along with everyone else, remain in the dark as to who will be the starting quarterback Sunday at the Oakland Raiders.

Henne hasn’t played in a game in 10 days since injuring his left knee late in the third quarter of Miami’s 29-17 home win over the Tennessee Titans and was limited, but he was able to plant and throw and run. Thigpen started last Thursday in a 16-0 home loss to the Chicago Bears.

Head Coach Tony Sparano had a sheepish grin on his face when asked during his press conference whether Henne’s health or who performs better in practice will determine which one will be his starter, saying simply, “We’ll see.” In addition to keeping the Raiders guessing, this approach also keeps both quarterbacks sharp.

Sounds like Sparano is playing the guessing game with the Raiders. Trying to keep them off balance by forcing them to prepare for two quarterbacks. It's good to know Henne's knee is coming along nicely and he's back and practicing. Henne's our starter and getting him in the game gives us the best chance to win. I hope he's healthy and ready to go this weekend.
:yay:

Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:19 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Post Re: Henne And Thigpen In The Dark On Who Starts At Oakland...
I actually hope to see both. Name Thiggy the starter, let him run some spread-wildcat crap and think that that is the best we can muster for a week.....maybe a TD, hopefully a FG..... then second possesion, let Numba Seven come out, and run the game plan. They wont know what hit them....

Who ever said that your starter has to be the one who plays all game. Favre can take 3 snaps as a starter and hand the reigns over to whomever to keep his streak alive. Why not let Thiggy get us started in some QB scramble option spread formations like he did in KC and get them thinking.... Thiggy named the starter, their D will relax a bit knowing that the dangerous one wont be taking the field..... then when he trots on unload a bomb to Bess or Hartline streaking while the DC is trying to get some form of audible ready for what might happen. It would be genius, and if Henning/Sparano would pull that off, I would be UTTERLY IMPRESSED...

We know that Henne is young and ambitious. But I also know that he is self-less. It would sting not naming him the starter, but knowing that it was schemed for a reason, I know he would be on board. Plus, it would be entirely pre-meditated and would be incredible

Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:32 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Let em compete.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:46 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

SkyHigh314 wrote:
I actually hope to see both. Name Thiggy the starter, let him run some spread-wildcat crap and think that that is the best we can muster for a week.....maybe a TD, hopefully a FG..... then second possesion, let Numba Seven come out, and run the game plan. They wont know what hit them....

Who ever said that your starter has to be the one who plays all game. Favre can take 3 snaps as a starter and hand the reigns over to whomever to keep his streak alive. Why not let Thiggy get us started in some QB scramble option spread formations like he did in KC and get them thinking.... Thiggy named the starter, their D will relax a bit knowing that the dangerous one wont be taking the field..... then when he trots on unload a bomb to Bess or Hartline streaking while the DC is trying to get some form of audible ready for what might happen. It would be genius, and if Henning/Sparano would pull that off, I would be UTTERLY IMPRESSED...

We know that Henne is young and ambitious. But I also know that he is self-less. It would sting not naming him the starter, but knowing that it was schemed for a reason, I know he would be on board. Plus, it would be entirely pre-meditated and would be incredible

I agree! Good post.

We used the two headed monster twice before to get to the Super Bowl first with Griese getting hurt and Earl Morrall coming in during the perfect season and then again in the early when Shula rotated Don Strock and David Woodley. In a lot of ways Thigpen is similar to the more athletic Woodley and Henne like the more conventional Strock.

Why not try it? At this point you are essentially eliminated from the division title. You are fading fast in the wild card race because it is looking like 10-6 could get left out this year. And you are going into a critical game without your number one WR. We need that moment we had when we first unleashed the wildcat on the Patriots.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:48 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

catman_56 wrote:
SkyHigh314 wrote:

I agree! Good post.

We used the two headed monster twice before to get to the Super Bowl first with Griese getting hurt and Earl Morrall coming in during the perfect season and then again in the early when Shula rotated Don Strock and David Woodley. In a lot of ways Thigpen is similar to the more athletic Woodley and Henne like the more conventional Strock.

Why not try it? At this point you are essentially eliminated from the division title. You are fading fast in the wild card race because it is looking like 10-6 could get left out this year. And you are going into a critical game without your number one WR. We need that moment we had when we first unleashed the wildcat on the Patriots.

Too complicated for a beat up team, even with a long week.

Name a starter at game time, keep him unless there is no other choice.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

hypocritex wrote:
Let em compete.

Why, it wouldn't be much of a competition. When Henne can play he's hands down the better quarterback. Just look at the drop off in scoring when Henne went down. Thigpen couldn't score a single point against Chicago. Henne meanwhile has put up 20+ against the Jets and Steelers this season. Henne is our starter, he gives us the best chance to win right now in my opinion. That is of course if he's healthy enough to go out and play like himself. Thigpen is a guy that we need to develop into a servicable backup because right now he's not looking like he can even hold that job down. I think we will draft a quarterback in the middle rounds to develop.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]