View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Our RB WR and QB upgrade choice for this offseason and why ? 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Our RB WR and QB upgrade choice for this offseason and why ?
My choice would be :

RB : if FA, franck gore because I always liked him, he's from Miami and he's always good, and his health seems better since 2 years...........but if we go RB in draft I want Mark Ingram, he's a bruiser and a speedster in one man.

WR : in FA I haven't many name in my mind but in the draft Julio Jones seems to be a beast.

QB : perhaps pick 2 QB in later round of the draft and in this case Ponder is my choice

opinions ?

Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Our RB WR and QB upgrade choice for this offseason and why ?
i'd love to get Deangelo Williams. I've hear rumors he could be available

Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:53 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Absolutely no FA RB's. Never.

The only FA RB's one should be signing are your own.

I'm not sure what the fascination with needing a big play WR is? I'm extremely pleased with what Hartline has done for a 4th round pick in just 2 seasons. If you want to add a 4th, 15 snap per game type of guy who could stretch the field, sure. But Hartline does not need to be replaced. We already have a hard enough time getting it to Marshall, and we want Julio Jones??

I'm not going to go into Henne again. But the only 3 positions Miami should be spending high draft picks/big time money in FA are OG, RB and TE. OG preferably in FA and RB and TE in the draft.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Trade back in 1st round. Acquire late 2nd round pick.
1st - Nated Solder - OT - Colorado
2nd - Mikel Leshoure - RB - Illinois
Trade 3rd and 4th round pick to move up into 2nd round.
2nd - Kyle Rudolph - TE - Notre Dame
Receive 3rd round compensatory pick for Ronnie Brown.
3rd - Torrey Smith - WR/KR - Maryland
5th - Nathan Enderle - QB - Idaho
6th - Jake Kirkpatrick - C - TCU
7th - Armando Allen - RB/KR - Notre Dame

Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:33 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:

Micheal Bush would be one. I agree never sign a used FA RB with mileage on him.

Phins Rock wrote:
I'm not sure what the fascination with needing a big play WR is? I'm extremely pleased with what Hartline has done for a 4th round pick in just 2 seasons. If you want to add a 4th, 15 snap per game type of guy who could stretch the field, sure. But Hartline does not need to be replaced. We already have a hard enough time getting it to Marshall, and we want Julio Jones??
You need to be less pleased. Hartline is serviceable, but not someone I want Miami running out there as a No. 2.

I'm hoping Robert Wallace is able to show us he is the man for the No. 2 spot next season with Marshall being out this week.. Like his upside, but it may not be until 2012 that he is ready.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:49 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Phins Rock wrote:
You need to be less pleased. Hartline is serviceable, but not someone I want Miami running out there as a No. 2.

I'm hoping Robert Wallace is able to show us he is the man for the No. 2 spot next season with Marshall being out this week.. Like his upside, but it may not be until 2012 that he is ready.

On an elite offense, Hartline may not be a number 2 guy. But he is solid enough for now, IMO. The main point though is that WR is not the issue. TE, RB and OG are much bigger areas of need at this point.

If AJ Green somehow falls to you, I can understand. But taking a middle first round WR in the middle of the first round, when WR is your biggest strength offensively, to me, would be ill advised.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:00 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

As much as I love Ronnie, I don't know that I would resign him unless he came very cheaply. I would draft one guy in the 2nd or 3rd to replace him, but I believe we have a couple backs already on the roster who can move up as well. Cobbs and Hilliard are more than serviceable, these guys have been waiting for their time, and this coming season just might be it. Ricky will be back next year, but we shouldn't put ourselves in a position to depend on him either.
Top needs in this draft are OL, TE, WR, NT and SS

Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:34 pm

Phin wrote:

Why NT?

Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:38 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Phins Rock wrote:

On an elite offense, Hartline may not be a number 2 guy. But he is solid enough for now, IMO. The main point though is that WR is not the issue. TE, RB and OG are much bigger areas of need at this point.

If AJ Green somehow falls to you, I can understand. But taking a middle first round WR in the middle of the first round, when WR is your biggest strength offensively, to me, would be ill advised.
What about Baldwin?

Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:54 pm

Too raw...He's a complete boom or bust thing. Doesn't really have great quickness coming out of his breaks and struggles to get open quickly.

Floyd, Green, Blackmon, etc. are safer bets, IMO.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:09 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Phin wrote:

Why NT?

This year we have operated from a rotational basis for that position. What we are running is a hybrid 3-4, 4-3. It has worked out alright, but I do not believe that this regime intended to go all year without a true NT. I think we need to grab a guy (not too early) in the draft that can play as a true NT in the 3-4 defense. Other than that, I see our DL as being a real strength, and a healthy Odrick and Merling should go a long ways towards improvement as well.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:50 pm

Phin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Phin wrote:

Why NT?

This year we have operated from a rotational basis for that position. What we are running is a hybrid 3-4, 4-3. It has worked out alright, but I do not believe that this regime intended to go all year without a true NT. I think we need to grab a guy (not too early) in the draft that can play as a true NT in the 3-4 defense. Other than that, I see our DL as being a real strength, and a healthy Odrick and Merling should go a long ways towards improvement as well.

Soliai is having a great season. I don't think that it's a coincidence that it is coming in a contract year, but if he continues to play like this for the next few seasons, him and Starks make a great rotation.

I think the reason we've been running some 43 is mostly to do with the lack of depth at DE because of injuries, more so than not having a NT. I think we've been more successful when we're in a 34 than a 43 and I think when you get Odrick and Merling back next season, you'll see them stay with the more traditional 34...Not that Mike Nolan will ever run a "true" 34, but you know what I mean.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:18 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't want to see Miami trading down again. Time to get the quality players that take the high draft picks. This team needs a running back. If we want more picks, then trade Ronnie. He is always hurt, will want more money than he is worth and is not a game breaker. The team needs a back with speed and elusiveness. I can't believe we are still looking at high round picks on offensive line again. Obviously, this regime has no idea how to select players for the line...they keep acquiring and trading them away....they draft guys they send packing....they keep moving them around within the line. We were able to run the ball this year, so that was why we had to tinker with the line in the off season.... :) Now we can't run the ball. Injuries have been huge, but we let the depth go. We brought like 16 linebackers into camp....hoping to find a couple that will stick. You would hope the team would be more judicious in selecting players and not just reach into a haystack hoping to find that needle! I would use free agency to get an interior lineman, and work hard in the off season to get our injured players back and get the line in shape. Late round picks are fine for the line....but we need team speed on offense....and special teams. I still think we will be in the market for another DB as well.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Too raw...He's a complete boom or bust thing. Doesn't really have great quickness coming out of his breaks and struggles to get open quickly.

Floyd, Green, Blackmon, etc. are safer bets, IMO.

I like Torrey Smith out of Maryland. The guy has that scary kind of speed that defenders hate. He's a Biletnikoff Award finalist and he's averaging over 16 yards per catch this season. He's got big play written all over him. Just think Darius Heyward-Bey but with more elusiveness, better ball skills, and special teams contribution. This guy could stretch the field and take the pressure off of Marshall.

Quote:
Torrey Smith, WR: Yeah, yeah, I know: he's only a junior (which is why he's at the bottom of the list) and is, so far, pretty unknown on the scene. But he's more NFL-ready than Darrius Heyward-Bey even if he won't come close to being picked as high, can contribute on special teams, and, most importantly, has reason to leave. He's already expressed a willingness, if not desire, to consider the draft, and not long ago on his Twitter he, without going into detail, mentioned that he loved UMD but would leave if he got the shot.

Besides, assuming he's healthy and has the year everyone's expecting him to have, what left will he have to prove? He'll be the NCAA all-time leader in kickoff yardage, Maryland's all-time leader in all-purpose yards, and have his degree. With the high probability that he'd have to adapt to a new coaching style and a new offense in his final year, it might just make more sense for him to go pro.

If he does, it'll be tough to gauge where he'll fall. DHB was way overrated ,and that might cause some to stay away from Maryland WRs. But he's accounted for way more production and is far better at the fundamentals than Heyward-Bey was. Throw in his elusiveness, and you have an NFL package.

How good of one? Well, it'll depend on what he does in the receiving game this year. If he can make a few spectacular catches and be up in the ACC rankings, he has upper-mid round potential. Otherwise, he could end up in the later rounds.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:33 pm

Smith had an UNBELIEVABLE game today. He's raw, but he has game. Great speed and quickness. Seems to have soft hands. Comes out of his breaks nicely. Great YAC guy and return man. I like him.

He's really under the radar right now. I have to admit that I didn't see him play much this season. Just caught the highlights of today's game and saw him play BC, where he had a somewhat quiet day from what I remember.

Not sure he'll come out though. He'd be wise to stay an extra year.

If you're looking for a speedster, also keep an eye on Jerrel Jernigan out of Troy. Guy has wheels and makes guys miss.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

Soliai is having a great season. I don't think that it's a coincidence that it is coming in a contract year, but if he continues to play like this for the next few seasons, him and Starks make a great rotation.

We've neglected NT too long.
Who do we have DE? McDaniels, Langford and Odrick. We don't what we have in Odrick, and Merling...heck, who knows with him. We need Starks back in that spot.
Soliai and then bring someone else in.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:05 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
TE, RB and OG are much bigger areas of need at this point.

Yep. Offensive line needs some help. John Moffit anyone?
Lance Kendricks would be great at the TE position...both of those Badgers will probably go in the 1st round though.

Allen Reisner of Iowa is a great blocking TE and serviceable in the passing game...currently a Mackey Award finalist.
Iowa's been known to turn out TE talent.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:07 am

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
TE, RB and OG are much bigger areas of need at this point.

Yep. Offensive line needs some help. John Moffit anyone?
Lance Kendricks would be great at the TE position...both of those Badgers will probably go in the 1st round though.

Allen Reisner of Iowa is a great blocking TE and serviceable in the passing game...currently a Mackey Award finalist.
Iowa's been known to turn out TE talent.

I LOVE Kendricks. Doubt he goes round 1 though. I love the effort he puts into the run game, but he's not a very good blocker.
Then again, neither was Dustin Keller back at Purdue.

I've been thoroughly disappointed in all the top RB's this weekend. Ingram looked big and lazy yesterday; Kendall Hunter does not have the burst that I thought he had; LaMichael James (not that he'll come out) looked very bland when he's not going at full speed.

That said there are no TE's that are "worth" taking in round 1, and I hate taking interior O-line in the first couple of rounds. I'd rather address that in FA.

What about Justin Blackmon? This guy is all man. An absolute stud on the outside. He might be better than Dez Bryant was coming out. From what people say he's got a great work ethic too.

I'm not someone who feels WR is a "need", but if you could add this guy opposite Marshall.....wow.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:25 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Smith had an UNBELIEVABLE game today. He's raw, but he has game. Great speed and quickness. Seems to have soft hands. Comes out of his breaks nicely. Great YAC guy and return man. I like him.

He's really under the radar right now. I have to admit that I didn't see him play much this season. Just caught the highlights of today's game and saw him play BC, where he had a somewhat quiet day from what I remember.

Not sure he'll come out though. He'd be wise to stay an extra year.

If you're looking for a speedster, also keep an eye on Jerrel Jernigan out of Troy. Guy has wheels and makes guys miss.

I didn't even know he did that when I made my post. He's a guy I've been pretty high on for a few weeks now. If he's there in the 3rd I think we'd be crazy not to get him, heck he might be worth trading up into the 2nd for. He's going to be a great playmaker at the next level. I just hope he's doing it in a Dolphins uniform.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:42 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
That said there are no TE's that are "worth" taking in round 1, and I hate taking interior O-line in the first couple of rounds. I'd rather address that in FA.

I'll bet Kendricks goes 1.
What's wrong with taking interior linemen in the first couple of rounds? If they are as dominating as any of those Badger linemen, you take him.
Long lined up next to Moffit would be a great tandem. I've always believed in starting inside out...this regime started doing that...but they don't seem to like anyone for more than 2 games worth.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:00 am

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I'll bet Kendricks goes 1.
What's wrong with taking interior linemen in the first couple of rounds? If they are as dominating as any of those Badger linemen, you take him.
Long lined up next to Moffit would be a great tandem. I've always believed in starting inside out...this regime started doing that...but they don't seem to like anyone for more than 2 games worth.

I agree with inside out. I don't mind taking OT's in round 1 or 2. But on the inside those guys are made not paid. There are plenty of guys that you can grab later on. I wouldn't be shocked if they go there round 1, but I feel like the first couple rounds are meant for other spots.

If this team was one OG away, sure, but we need a variety of play makers on the outside. That's where I would go early.

BTW you can probably get Moffitt in the late 2nd, early 3rd round. I don't think you have to go round 1 to get him. Not with Pouncey, Rodney Hudson, O'Dowd, Wisniewski and Cannon being such hot commodities.

As for Kendricks, I have no problem trading down and picking him up in the very late 1st. But I think he'll end up sliding on draft day because of his blocking.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:06 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
But taking a middle first round WR in the middle of the first round, when WR is your biggest strength offensively, to me, would be ill advised.
If WR is Miami biggest strength then Miami is in huge trouble.

In drafting take the best player. Miami has always drafted for need instead of drafting quality players. Its why they have missed on so many high picks. When you draft for need you end up reaching for a lesser player. Rule of drafting for myself. Draft for next year, not this year. Teams like the Pitts. Steelers usually are drafting a year ahead of themselves. That is why they have not have to spend large money on FA. They already have a replacement on the team.

Miami would be wise to model themselves after a team like the Steelers.

If a Wr is the highest ranked player on your board, then draft him. Great team draft great player & figure out how to use them.

Why take a player with a mid 2nd Rd. grade in Rd. 1 simply because he fits a need? Find a player who fits that need later.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:23 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
This team needs a running back. If we want more picks, then trade Ronnie. He is always hurt, will want more money than he is worth and is not a game breaker. .
Considering what you just said. What team would give up value pick for him? Plus Brown is a FA after the season & the trade deadline has already passed, so Miami cannot trade him.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:25 am

Dphins4me wrote:
Why take a player with a mid 2nd Rd. grade in Rd. 1 simply because he fits a need? Find a player who fits that need later.

Not suggesting that we do that, (although without a second round pick, it's not like that's such a bad thing). But right now WR is the biggest strength on offense.

O-line, RB, TE are all needs, and QB is no certainty. I would rather go with one of those spots, (not QB), than WR.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Why take a player with a mid 2nd Rd. grade in Rd. 1 simply because he fits a need?

[/quote]

Because we don't have a second round pick?

Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

We've neglected NT too long.
Who do we have DE? McDaniels, Langford and Odrick. We don't what we have in Odrick, and Merling...heck, who knows with him. We need Starks back in that spot.
Soliai and then bring someone else in.

we have too many needs to be targeting another defensive lineman high.
The only true area of strength we have is defensive line. Soliai has finally become a noce tackle under Nolan. We have a nice deep unit of d-linemen right now.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:

I'm not going to go into Henne again. But the only 3 positions Miami should be spending high draft picks/big time money in FA are OG, RB and TE. OG preferably in FA and RB and TE in the draft.

Deangelo Williams is the type of impact runner this team is missing. Can take it the distance, unlike Ronnie. And he's just getting started in his career. Not like we'd be getting a guy with alot of wear on him.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:05 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Deangelo Williams is the type of impact runner this team is missing. Can take it the distance, unlike Ronnie. And he's just getting started in his career. Not like we'd be getting a guy with alot of wear on him.

DeAngelo is just one football-year older than Ronnie is.

I love Williams, but if I'm ever a GM, that would be my number one FA rule. No big money FA RB's unless they're your own.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:07 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phins Rock wrote:
Phin wrote:

Why NT?

Because our run defense still sucks and Soliai is still in the middle of that suckiness. He's not a starting NT.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:15 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
Soliai is having a great season.

He has shown improvement, but you referring it to great is another example of how badly you exaggerate things.

He's a rotational player, not a full-time NT.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:16 pm

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

He has shown improvement, but you referring it to great is another example of how badly you exaggerate things.

That's all we need him for, especially when Odrick and Merling come back and Starks is able to slide inside to NT more often.

BTW, our run D is allowing 3.9 ypc. That's good for top ten in the NFL.

Wow, doing research pays off! :yay:

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:22 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

That's all we need him for, especially when Odrick and Merling come back and Starks is able to slide inside to NT more often.

Doing incomplete research and presenting incomplete data is a waste of time.

The Dolphins are ranked 20th against the run with 112.7 yards per game allowed.

Pretty crappy if you ask me.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:33 pm

Because they're always on the field......

3.9 ypc. For me, that's a more relevant stat.

Miami was also something like 4th in the league against the pass in 2007.....They were not the 4th best pass D in the league.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:35 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
Because they're always on the field......

3.9 ypc. For me, that's a more relevant stat.

Miami was also something like 4th in the league against the pass in 2007.....They were not the 4th best pass D in the league.

You can cherry pick what you consider important or relevant stats. The fact is they are ranked 20th against the run and they spend a lot of time on the field because they aren't necessarily consistently shutting down the run on 1st and 2nd down.

3.9 ypc may be ranked 10th in the NFL, but it is not a good number. That means teams are getting 4 yards each team they run. That usually translates into 3rd and shorts.

An example of a misleading stat you've presented.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

DeAngelo is just one football-year older than Ronnie is.

I love Williams, but if I'm ever a GM, that would be my number one FA rule. No big money FA RB's unless they're your own.

there are exceptions. Teams keep getting burned by letting Thomas Jones go

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Phin wrote:

Why NT?

Because our run defense still sucks and Soliai is still in the middle of that suckiness. He's not a starting NT.

I have no problem with our run defense. It's against the pass that we suck every year.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:57 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

you're right on Phins Rock. Our d-line is getting the job done.
The linebackers need to keep improving

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:59 pm

swerve13 wrote:
I have no problem with our run defense. It's against the pass that we suck every year.

We're ranked 13th in points allowed, 7th in yards allowed, 4th in passing yards allowed.

20th in rushing yards allowed.

If you have no problem with a 20th ranked run defense, you have no problem with mediocrity I suppose.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:

Not suggesting that we do that, (although without a second round pick, it's not like that's such a bad thing). But right now WR is the biggest strength on offense.
Its not a bad thing to overdraft a player because you do not have a pick the following Rd? That is a head scratcher.

So you are telling me if a talented Wr like Dez Bryant is sitting there, you would rather draft another position that does not have as much talent? If Miami uses this philosophy its no wonder they have wasted so many high picks. Get the best talent & fill in around them.

Phins Rock wrote:

O-line, RB, TE are all needs, and QB is no certainty. I would rather go with one of those spots, (not QB), than WR.
You think drafting a player with a 2nd Rd. grade in Rd. 1 makes it more of a certainty?

Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:31 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Iowafin wrote:

Because we don't have a second round pick?
What does not having a pick in Rd. 2 have to do with who you draft in Rd. 1?

Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next