View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Chad Henne Often Audibled to Add Protection 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Chad Henne Often Audibled to Add Protection
Quote:
Chad Henne Often Audibled to Add Protection
Sat Nov 27, 2010
http://www.ffmastermind.com

While the Miami Dolphins' offensive line issues were front and center on national TV in Week 11, they have been a problem all season. According to PFW, when QB Chad Henne was starting at quarterback, he would often audible to add more protection. The Dolphins actually were one of the better teams in the league in protecting the quarterback before the Bears debacle, but it's possible that Henne's decision to add more protection slowed down an offense that has yet to get rolling this season.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:10 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Chad Henne Often Audibled to Add Protection
Certainly explains how Fasano is/isn't used.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:03 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

According to Ricky Williams, Chad Henne wasn't allowed to audible.

Who would you trust more? Some internet site or a player who is actually in the huddle?

Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:04 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:

Fasano is on pace to have the best season of his career. The Dolphins use their WRs more than their tight end.

It would certainly explain why the RBs aren't being used as much in the pass game, but again, this is an internet site reporting this while an actual living, breathing Dolphins player went on a local show and said Henne is not allowed to audible at the line while Pennington and Thigpen are.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Fasano is on pace to have the best season of his career. The Dolphins use their WRs more than their tight end.

It would certainly explain why the RBs aren't being used as much in the pass game, but again, this is an internet site reporting this while an actual living, breathing Dolphins player went on a local show and said Henne is not allowed to audible at the line while Pennington and Thigpen are.

On pace? Perhaps ... there are 6 weeks left no doubt ... but 26 rec for 383 yards (107 of which came vs. the Titans) isn't nearly the kind of stats this man should be putting up IMO. The "protection" audibles would make sense to me from what I've seen of both the backs and the TE's.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:25 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:

Who would you trust more? Some internet site or a player who is actually in the huddle?

It seems strange that there are conflicting reports on this part of the game. Ricky said that Henne was not allowed to audible and Henning backed it up when asked about it. Then Coach Sparano said that Thigpen called the wrong audibles leaning towards passing rather than running. Perhaps this was a change to help Thigpen in the Bears game ... who knows. Now, Fantasy Football Mastermind is reporting that Henne did call audibles for pass protection , but keep in mind that FFMastermind is maintained by approved fans (I believe).

I'll believe Ricky who was actually in the huddle during games.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Fasano's best year ever was 2008. 34 Receptions for 454 Yards and 7 TDs.

He is well above pace to beat that this year. Just sayin.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

Exactly Rich. I'll take Ricky's word over some site.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:09 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
On pace?

Yes.

2008: 34 catches, 454 yards
2009: 31 catches, 339 yards
2010: 26 catches, 383 yards
On pace 2010: 41 catches, 612 yards

Quote:
isn't nearly the kind of stats this man should be putting up IMO.

Based on what? Prior production or just your gut feeling? He's never been a high production tight end so why should he be now? He's not very fast or athletic, has inconsistent hands and has trouble getting open a lot of times.

Quote:
The "protection" audibles would make sense to me from what I've seen of both the backs and the TE's.

It would also make sense that it has been Dan Henning calling max-protect plays for Henne.

That's what teams usually do with young, developing QBs.

If Dan Henning himself has said that he doesn't allow Henne to change the plays at the line because that's what he as an OC gets paid to do, and Ricky says Henne hasn't been allowed to audible, then how does this story seem plausible?

Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Based on what? Prior production or just your gut feeling? He's never been a high production tight end so why should he be now? He's not very fast or athletic, has inconsistent hands and has trouble getting open a lot of times.

Respectfully disagree. I'm not expecting Antonio Gates type numbers, but from what I've seen of Fasano 600-700 yards and 5-7 TD's is very feasible. He's alot more athletic then you give him credit for. In fact one of my other beefs about Henne was that when Fasano was allowed to run his routes, he barely looked his way. There was a game a few weeks ago where Fasano openly conveyed his frustration about it on the field.

Rich wrote:
It would also make sense that it has been Dan Henning calling max-protect plays for Henne.

If Dan Henning himself has said that he doesn't allow Henne to change the plays at the line because that's what he as an OC gets paid to do, and Ricky says Henne hasn't been allowed to audible, then how does this story seem plausible?

Changing the protection scheme would be slightly different than changing an entire play at the line from a run to a pass or visa versa. I still find it peculiar that a guy like Thigpen would be allowed to call audibles, but not Henne. What does that say about Henne? It's not like Thigpen is some Peyton Manning-esque offensive mastermind.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Then Coach Sparano said that Thigpen called the wrong audibles leaning towards passing rather than running..

Again I will say those weren't audibles...they were simply quick passes based on how far the corner was playing off. Every offense has it.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
but from what I've seen of Fasano 600-700 yards and 5-7 TD's is very feasible.

Um.... that's what he is on pace for....?

Quote:
Thigpen would be allowed to call audibles, but not Henne. What does that say about Henne? It's not like Thigpen is some Peyton Manning-esque offensive mastermind.

Is that the appropriate question? Or is the appropriate question what does it say about Henning?

I guess when you have a bias against a particular player, it is difficult to see the big picture.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:13 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
Then Coach Sparano said that Thigpen called the wrong audibles leaning towards passing rather than running..

Again I will say those weren't audibles...they were simply quick passes based on how far the corner was playing off. Every offense has it.

No, Thigpen got out of running plays to throw...

Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

According to both Sparno, Omar Kelly, and Mike Berardino (probably Salguero as well), part of the reason the OLine has pass blocked so well for much of the season is because Henne has been calling for max protections a lot.

This isn't anything new. What's new is that today he wasn't calling for as many max protection schemes on passing plays. The lone exceptions were when they were obviously bringing the house (which they did a lot).

Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Rich wrote:

Henning backed it up when asked about it.

Henning never said any such thing. In fact, if you look at his press conference when Henne was benched in favor of Penninton, he said that they have the same audible privileges. Everything stays the same.

David J Neal of The Miami Herald wrote:
The Dolphins feel their offense is one size fits all Chads.

That's according to offensive coordinator Dan Henning, who insisted nothing changes in the Dolphins going from third-year, big-armed Chad Henne, who sometimes struggles with accuracy at short-range passing, to 11th-year, not-so-big armed Chad Pennington, precise as Green Arrow in the short and intermediate ranges.

Nothing? Not your communication with the quarterback? Not their input into play selection or freedom to audible?

``Same.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/11/12/1 ... y-for.html

On Nov 13, 2010 Omar Kelly wrote on Twitter wrote:
"This week I discovered Chad Henne was calling for a lot of max protection on resnap calls. With Pennington there Fasano will run more routes" It was Henne that was calling for max protection, and thats why there were little Wr running routes and why they were not getting open

http://www.thephinsider.com/2010/11/13/ ... lot-of-max

The Miami Herald wrote in the caption wrote:
Miami Dolphins quarterback Chad Henne calls an audible during the second quarter of a game against the New England Patriots on Sunday, Dec. 6, 2009 at Land Shark Stadium in Miami Gardens.

And the picture clearly shows Henne making an audible.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/12/07/1 ... phins.html (look at the caption on the picture)

Perhaps Ricky misspoke, or perhaps he told a little white lie to make teams believe that Henne is hogtied, but what Ricky said is not accurate. Every article you will read on the web which says that Henne cannot audible goes back to that Ricky quote from the radio, but there is simply too much evidence to support Henne having as much freedom as Pennington to audible based on what he sees.

Last edited by eleaf on Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Rich wrote:

It seems strange that there are conflicting reports on this part of the game. Ricky said that Henne was not allowed to audible and Henning backed it up when asked about it. Then Coach Sparano said that Thigpen called the wrong audibles leaning towards passing rather than running. Perhaps this was a change to help Thigpen in the Bears game ... who knows. Now, Fantasy Football Mastermind is reporting that Henne did call audibles for pass protection , but keep in mind that FFMastermind is maintained by approved fans (I believe).

I'll believe Ricky who was actually in the huddle during games.

He didn'y say that Thigpen called the wrong audibles, he said that he chose the wrong option at the LOS. Oftentimes, the play sent in is in 2 parts: run play "X" or pass play "Y" depending on what you see from the defense. Sparano's comment is in reference to Thigpen simply reading the defense badly and choosing the wrong option to pass, not that he audibled (as in changed) out of running plays in favor of passing plays.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:41 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
On pace?

Yes.

2008: 34 catches, 454 yards
2009: 31 catches, 339 yards
2010: 26 catches, 383 yards
On pace 2010: 41 catches, 612 yards

Quote:
isn't nearly the kind of stats this man should be putting up IMO.

Quote:
The "protection" audibles would make sense to me from what I've seen of both the backs and the TE's.

If Dan Henning himself has said that he doesn't allow Henne to change the plays at the line . . .

He hasn't. See my post above.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

From Nov 19, 2010

Omar Kelley on Nov 19, 2010 wrote on Twitter wrote:
There are plenty of instances where Chad Henne is CALLING for max protection, not the play dictates it. Fans don't see full picture

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... ient=flock

Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:43 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

Let's do the math. He's got 28 receptions, 393 yards, and 3 TD's thru 11 games.

With 5 games left, he's on pace for 40 receptions, 571 yards, and 4 TD's ..... so if we're going to extrapolate to what he's "on pace for" then he will not hit the 600-700 yards and 5-7 TD's I think are very achievable for him.

As we've seen from comments about the protection schemes, it's clear Fasano's numbers could improve if given more opportunities.

Rich wrote:
Is that the appropriate question? Or is the appropriate question what does it say about Henning?

I guess when you have a bias against a particular player, it is difficult to see the big picture.

No bias. Just straight talk.

As for Henning, surely he has his faults. But allowing Thigpen to audible and not Henne? Now that doesn't make any sense to me as Thigpen has even less experience than Henne. Eleaf already put up the quote from Henning as far as how the offense functions so there's no need to repeat it.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:44 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
As we've seen from comments about the protection schemes, it's clear Fasano's numbers could improve if given more opportunities.

Rich wrote:

No bias. Just straight talk.

As for Henning, surely he has his faults. But allowing Thigpen to audible and not Henne? Now that doesn't make any sense to me as Thigpen has even less experience than Henne. Eleaf already put up the quote from Henning as far as how the offense functions so there's no need to repeat it.

Henne has been calling for max protect pre-snap a whole lot this, minimizing Fasano's routes. This is not Henning calling simple 2 receiver routes; it is Henne calling an audible dictating max protection and keeping guys (like Fasano) in to block (as opposed to running their routes).

Omar Kelly on Nov 13, 2010 on Twitter wrote:
This week I discovered Chad Henne was calling for a lot of max protection on resnap calls. With Pennington there Fasano will run more routes

http://twitter.com/OmarKelly/status/3515956169015296

About a week later:

Omar Kelly on Nov 19, 2010 on Twitter wrote:
There are plenty of instances where Chad Henne is CALLING for max protection, not the play dictates it. Fans don't see full picture

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... ient=flock

Given these insights, I would agree that Fasano could very well be having an even better year. One could argue that Henne's insistence on calling max protection before he was benched has helped to hold Fasano back a bit.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:37 am
Profile WWW

eleaf wrote:
According to both Sparno, Omar Kelly, and Mike Berardino (probably Salguero as well), part of the reason the OLine has pass blocked so well for much of the season is because Henne has been calling for max protections a lot.

Omar and Mike write for the same blog. I read that blog. It was one of them, not both.

When has Sparano said it? I haven't seen a quote from him.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:34 am

eleaf wrote:
Henning never said any such thing.

Yes he did. Not at the press conference you quoted, but he has said before that Henne shouldn't have the option to audible, that he (Henning) gets paid to call the plays, not Henne

Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:35 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

With 5 games left, he's on pace for 40 receptions, 571 yards, and 4 TD's ..... so if we're going to extrapolate to what he's "on pace for" then he will not hit the 600-700 yards and 5-7 TD's I think are very achievable for him.

How convenient. My numbers were posted before the game.

383 / 10 * 16 - 612.8

Fasano is an inconsistent player. Has been even when Pennington was starting. He would disappear for stretches of the season. He simply isn't a high output tight end.

Quote:

So others things Henning does make sense to you? And you believe he has credibility when he says the run abandoned the Dolphins after he only called 6 run plays against the Bears?

Re: e:leaf's quotes. They came from two sources. One a blog writer, one a coach who is losing his mind.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:38 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Didn't we discuss this in another thread? Henne's freedom to audible is restricted to 2 plays that are sent in from the coach, one run or one pass. It isn't technically an audible, it's just him killing the original play in favor of the other option. As far as protection audibles, I'm pretty sure most QBs are given the privilege to decide their own protection. Perhaps he has been a bit over cautious but he looks like a statue back there most of the time.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:30 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

383 / 10 * 16 - 612.8

Fasano is an inconsistent player. Has been even when Pennington was starting. He would disappear for stretches of the season. He simply isn't a high output tight end.

Quote:

So others things Henning does make sense to you? And you believe he has credibility when he says the run abandoned the Dolphins after he only called 6 run plays against the Bears?

Re: e:leaf's quotes. They came from two sources. One a blog writer, one a coach who is losing his mind.

And by "blog writer" Rich means "beat writer who has access to the team, contacts, and info us proles could only dream of", and by "coach who is losing his mind" he means our "offensive coordinator who was hand picked by Parcells".

Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Miami Dolphins Player Quotes with Chad Henne - 09/15
By Jason Jenkins
September 15, 2010

(On what his thought process is with snapping the ball with having 11 or 12 seconds left on the play clock and if it’s for any particular reason) – “No, I think in the second half we were doing more audibles so it was taking a little bit more time off the clock. No, no particular reason, but I think in the fourth quarter definitely you want to run some of that clock off if you’re up—see if you can get more clock off that way.”

http://www.sportspagemagazine.com/conte ... html?41935

Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

383 / 10 * 16 - 612.8

Convenient? Those are the numbers thru 11 games. If anything his numbers are somewhat inflated because of one single game vs. the Titans. Nearly 25% of his yardage on the season was in that game.

Once again disagree with Fasano's abilities. When Pennington was at QB, he was such a distributor that touches were somewhat limited. At least he was allowed to run routes then though.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]