View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:40 pm



Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ] 
 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played) 
Author Message
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8711
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Dolphins losses are in yellow.

Dolphins victories are in green.

Top 6 teams get in.

Image


Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:15 pm
Posts: 291
Location: Shelbyville, IN
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
actually this is incorrect, the Jags hold the tie breaker over the Colts so they are actually the division leaders, not the colts

_________________
Image


Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:57 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2434
Location: NSW, Australia
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Also not sure how we are above San Diego as they have the better AFC record.
Seems like the list is alphabetical for tiebreakers.


Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:33 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 3369
Location: Charleston AFB, SC
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Iceberg85 wrote:
actually this is incorrect, the Jags hold the tie breaker over the Colts so they are actually the division leaders, not the colts


This list is correct. http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=conf

Do we need another lesson on tie-breakers one-one and one-many and div vs conf?

_________________
Image


Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:19 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 3369
Location: Charleston AFB, SC
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Quote:
NFL Tiebreaking Procedures

The six postseason participants from each conference are seeded as follows:

The division champion with the best record.
The division champion with the second-best record.
The division champion with the third-best record.
The division champion with the fourth-best record.
The Wild Card club with the best record.
The Wild Card club with the second-best record.
The following procedures will be used to break standings ties for postseason playoffs and to determine regular-season schedules.

NOTE: Tie games count as one-half win and one-half loss for both clubs.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss
Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss
TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.
Two Clubs

Head-to-head, if applicable.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in conference games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss.
Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in conference games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss
When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

DETERMINING HOME-FIELD PRIORITY

To determine home-field priority among division titlists, apply Wild-Card tie breakers.
To determine home-field priority for Wild-Card qualifiers, apply division tie breakers (if teams are from the same division) or Wild-Card tie breakers (if teams are from different divisions).
TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURE FOR SELECTION MEETING

If two or more clubs are tied in the selection order, the strength-of-schedule tie breaker is applied, subject to the following exceptions for playoff clubs:

The Super Bowl winner is last and the Super Bowl loser next-to-last.
Any non-Super Bowl playoff club involved in a tie moves down in drafting priority within its tied segment as follows:
For a loss inthe Wild-Card playoffs, a plus factor of one-half.
For participation, win or lose, in the Divisional Playoffs, a plus factor of one.
For a loss in the conference championship Game, a plus factor of one.
Clubs with the best won-lost-tied records after these steps are applied will drop to their appropriate spots at the bottom of the tied segment. In no case will the above process move a club lower than the segmentin which it was initially tied.
Tied clubs will alternate priority throughout the 7 rounds of the draft. In case of a tie involving three or more teams, the club with priority in the first round will drop to the bottom of the tied segment in the second round and move its way back to the top of the segment in each succeeding round.
If any ties cannot be broken by strength of schedule, the divisional or conference tie breakers, whichever are applicable, are applied. Any ties that still exist are broken by a coin flip.

_________________
Image


Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:23 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8711
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Ski_Money wrote:
Iceberg85 wrote:
actually this is incorrect, the Jags hold the tie breaker over the Colts so they are actually the division leaders, not the colts


This list is correct. http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=conf

Do we need another lesson on tie-breakers one-one and one-many and div vs conf?


That's where I got it, Ski. We may have to schedule a "Playoffs Tie-Breaker 101" class here in the chat room. I elect you as the instructor;)

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
We have to hope for Pitt or Baltimore to lose 3 conference games each, or hope for a 3 or more team log jam for that last wildcard spot.

The logjam seems like a more likely scenario, but I could see Miami tying Pitt at 11-5 for that wildcard spot and missing out on account of a "blown" call and many Dolphins fans would jump out of a window.

_________________
Image


Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:11 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 3369
Location: Charleston AFB, SC
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Correct Iowa, but we have to win out pretty much.

_________________
Image


Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:08 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 3369
Location: Charleston AFB, SC
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Remember, if the logjam does not include people from our division, head to head comes first. Which means, we have to be a game up on Pitt.

_________________
Image


Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:09 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2434
Location: NSW, Australia
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Let me say that I thnk the chances of this are just about zero. I've been on record since week 8 as saying we have next to no chance of making the playoffs. But, here is a point to think about:

We have a MUCH better shot at overtaking the loser of the Pats/Jests game. Assume the Jests wins. And assume we beat the Pats. Therefore we've picked up 2.5 games on them. It only takes one more loss for us to overtake them. Chicago or Green Bay anyone?

Again, I don't see us winning out, but if we do, I'd say we have a better shot of moving up vs our division rivals than our Conference rivals.


Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:16 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5618
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Iowafin wrote:
We have to hope for Pitt or Baltimore to lose 3 conference games each, or hope for a 3 or more team log jam for that last wildcard spot.

The logjam seems like a more likely scenario, but I could see Miami tying Pitt at 11-5 for that wildcard spot and missing out on account of a "blown" call and many Dolphins fans would jump out of a window.


Real bummer how a blown call and dropped pass could potentially have Miami at 7-4 and Pitt at 6-5.


Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:19 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
degs wrote:
Again, I don't see us winning out, but if we do, I'd say we have a better shot of moving up vs our division rivals than our Conference rivals.


How do you figure? New England and New York are the top two teams in the league. New York is undefeated in the division and has one conference loss. The odds of catching them seems impossible at best. New England is playing some of the best football they've played since their cheating days.

It's painful to say, but we'll most likely be rooting for the Jets to beat Pittsburgh.

_________________
Image


Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:00 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
This sucks. We'll end up with the 5th best record but not get in.

It's not out of the realm of possibility the Jets end up with 10 wins. They have Chicago, Pittsburgh and NE on the road, and us at home. If we win out, we have a shot.


Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:01 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Phins Rock wrote:
If we win out, we have a shot.


Thank you Captain Obvious :fart:

_________________
Image


Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:03 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2434
Location: NSW, Australia
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Iowafin wrote:
degs wrote:
Again, I don't see us winning out, but if we do, I'd say we have a better shot of moving up vs our division rivals than our Conference rivals.


How do you figure?

[/quote]

Because we have to play them. We "could" beat them and take back the tiebreaker. We cannot do that with Pitt or Baltimore.

Imagine the scenario: Pats lose to the Jets. We beat the Pats. (Or substitute the Jets). We not only gain two games, but we gain a tie in the head-to-head tiebreaker. We are currently losing that tie-breaker. If they lose one more game, we overtake them.

Again, this assumes we win out, which I have a real hard time getting behind. I'd love it, but I wouldn't put my money on the idea that it happens.


Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:14 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 3369
Location: Charleston AFB, SC
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Since the Jets are 3-0 in division, it would be better to match up again NE for a Wild Card tie. We HAVE to win out for any playoff chance, but NE is mathematically the better team to move up on in the division. If there is a 3 way or better for a WC slot, division tie-breakers are used to weed out the highest seed from each division. Then conference tie-breakers are used. So if we win out and NE loses to the Jets +1 other team, we become the high seed from the east. NE has to lose twice and one of those losses has to be to either the Jets or Bills AND us (We have to beat them). Pittsburgh has to lose 3 games for us to trump them since they beat us.

Essentially, either the Jets, Patriots or Steelers have to lose 3 games. Getting up on the Jags has a lot of variables I don't want to compute right now. It is highly likely that we can go 11-5 and not make it even beating both NE and NY. We DO NOT control our own destiny.

_________________
Image


Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:55 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Ski_Money wrote:
Since the Jets are 3-0 in division, it would be better to match up again NE for a Wild Card tie. We HAVE to win out for any playoff chance, but NE is mathematically the better team to move up on in the division. If there is a 3 way or better for a WC slot, division tie-breakers are used to weed out the highest seed from each division. Then conference tie-breakers are used. So if we win out and NE loses to the Jets +1 other team, we become the high seed from the east. NE has to lose twice and one of those losses has to be to either the Jets or Bills AND us (We have to beat them). Pittsburgh has to lose 3 games for us to trump them since they beat us.

Essentially, either the Jets, Patriots or Steelers have to lose 3 games. Getting up on the Jags has a lot of variables I don't want to compute right now. It is highly likely that we can go 11-5 and not make it even beating both NE and NY. We DO NOT control our own destiny.


Technically yes. But look at the schedules. NE has an easy schedule down the stretch. They play GB at homes on Sunday Night, but that's it. NY has NE, Chicago and Pittsburgh all on the road....Much better chance of losing some games than NE.


Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:56 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 3369
Location: Charleston AFB, SC
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
If NE has an easy schedule, then we will not beat them out for a spot. NY has to win only one of those games (they will) and that's the ball game. If we get in to the playoffs, it will be the 3rd team from the east that gets in. Pittsburgh needs to lose 3 times. They have Baltimore, Cincinnati, NYJ, Carolina and Cleveland left.

_________________
Image


Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:04 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Ski_Money wrote:
If NE has an easy schedule, then we will not beat them out for a spot. NY has to win only one of those games (they will) and that's the ball game. If we get in to the playoffs, it will be the 3rd team from the east that gets in. Pittsburgh needs to lose 3 times. They have Baltimore, Cincinnati, NYJ, Carolina and Cleveland left.


If NE beats NY this Sunday, and we then beat them, that leaves the Jets with 4 losses. They would have to lose to either Pitt or Chicago. If we win out, then we're both at 11-5. Not sure what tie breakers it would get into as we'd both have the same division record.


Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:16 pm
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8711
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Well, it doesn't look good right now for the Dolphins, but you never know which teams cool off and which ones get hot. Look at the Colts. They are fading fast.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 3369
Location: Charleston AFB, SC
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
If Miami and NY end up with the same record, division tie-breakers will be applied first before either go up against anyone from another division (Pitt). They are:

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss
Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss

Head to Head would be tied
Division would be tied
Common games??? We'll see
Conf Record we lose.

Jets are 7-1 in the AFC. We are 4-4. Like I said, forget about moving up in the division. We have to get above Pitt.

_________________
Image


Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:47 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 3369
Location: Charleston AFB, SC
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Just to ice the cake, NE is 7-2 in the AFC. Pittsburgh is 6-2.

_________________
Image


Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:49 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2434
Location: NSW, Australia
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Ski_Money wrote:
Jets are 7-1 in the AFC. We are 4-4. Like I said, forget about moving up in the division. We have to get above Pitt.


As I said, if they lose to the Pats and we beat them, then they are 7-3 and we are 6-4. If they beat the Pats, then we get the math closer in our favor vs the Pats.

I'd say that's better than Pitt or Balt as we don't play them at all.


Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:10 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 3369
Location: Charleston AFB, SC
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
I would love to win out and somehow sneak in to the playoffs, but's it's a fools dream at this point.

_________________
Image


Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:36 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5618
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
All it takes is an injury to a QB or key player and a team could have a rough stretch.

5 games to go and a lot could happen.


Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:00 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 805
Location: West Caldwell, NJ
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Remember the Miami-Cowboys Thanksgiving/Leon Lett snow game. Miami was 9-2 after that thanksgiving win and didnt win another game the rest of the season and missed the playoffs. So anything can happen is all I'm saying.

_________________
Image


Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:12 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3434
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Quote:
Scenarios exist where Dolphins could win tiebreaker versus Jets, Patriots
If the Miami Dolphins pull off the vastly improbable and win the rest of their games to finish 11-5, the scenario does exist where they could beat out the Jets or Patriots with a tiebreaker for a playoff spot.

New York or New England, who match up on Monday night, will be 9-3, barring a tie. And, based on the remaining schedules for the final four games, the loser of that game becomes the team Dolphins fans must look at as the most likely target for their team to catch with a big finish.

And it would probably be better if that team is the Jets.

The Jets would then face the Dolphins who, if they beat 4-7 Cleveland, would be looking to send New York to 9-4 while improving themselves to 8-5 on Dec. 12 at the New Meadowlands.

And, if that were to occur, it truly would be game-on for the Dolphins, who lost to the Jets 31-23 at Sun Life Stadium on Sept. 26. The Jets would then travel to Chicago (now 8-3) and Pittsburgh (8-3) on consecutive weeks before finishing at home against the suddenly extremely tough-out 2-9 Bills, who have won their two games and lost four contests to current playoff teams Kansas City, Baltimore, Chicago and Pittsburgh--each by three points--in the six games since their bye week.

Meanwhile, the Dolphins would get the Bills and Lions (also 2-9) at home before heading to New England Jan. 2 for the regular-season finale.

Another possible benefit of the Patriots beating the Jets would be that 10-2 New England potentially would be in position to have home-field advantage in the AFC playoffs wrapped up by the time of their matchup with the Dolphins, resulting in limited participation by Tom Brady and other New England stalwarts in that game.

However, ...

While there are a couple bottom-of-the-barrel scenarios where a 10-6 Dolphins could make the playoffs, the focus here will be on them being 11-5.

If the Jets beat only the Bears and Steelers and finish 11-5, Miami would win a tiebreaker with a better AFC East record, 4-2 to 3-3. If New York only defeats the Bears and Bills, the Dolphins would battle the Jets in a strength of victory tiebreaker, which Miami leads currently.

...


http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss


Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:37 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 3369
Location: Charleston AFB, SC
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Yea, not gonna happen.

_________________
Image


Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:55 pm
Profile
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 8:22 pm
Posts: 548
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
You all are forgetting about Buffalo..... I guarantee Buffalo will NOT go 0-6 in the division. They will play spoiler to some one, lets home not us. If the Jets lose to all three: Miami, Buffalo, and New England, they will end up 3-3. We are 1-2 at the moment, but if we beat buffalo, NY and NE altogether, we end up at 4-2. The tiebreaker would favor us.

Same with NE, they are 2-1 in the division. A loss to Buffalo and NY and Miami would leave them at 2-4 in the division. In this scenario we wouldnt even need to beat NY to have a better record. 3-3 would win this tiebreaker and we could afford a loss to NY or Buffalo and still catch NE. We would then need NE to lose one more game.... Chicago seems like a good one here. So NE loses to Buffalo, NY, Miami, and Chicago..... we go 4-1 down the stretch, and we take the 2.

The real battle in this whole picture is going to be the Jets-Steelers game. Some one needs to lose, and like was mentioned before, if the Jets lose, we are alive for the East #2. If the Steelers lose, plus Baltimore beats the Steelers, we are 1 game out, and they would have 4 divisional losses so that would even that record out as well. A 3 way tie for the 5 and 6 seeds could land us in the mix, especially since head-to-head would not be a factor.

Games to watch:
Baltimore vs Pitt rematch
Jets vs Pats rematch
Jets vs Bills rematch
Pats vs Bills rematch
Jets vs Chicago
Pats vs Chicago
NO vs Baltimore

and 2 upset specials:
Pit vs CLE
Cin vs Balt

After week 13 there will be more clarity. Right now, both the AFC North and AFC East division leaders are going to battle. So IF we can beat Cleveland this week, we will guarantee to gain a game on both wildcard races.....8-4 for the North, 9-3 for the East....... that would put us 1.5 games out of the 6th and 2.5 games out of the 5th. Either way, we gain a game on both races this week with 4 weeks to go. One week at a time guys, just one at a time.


Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:29 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 3852
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
We pretty much need to have any one of the Ravens, Steelers, Patriots or Jets to have a monumental melt down and completely blow their good seasons... oh boy.


Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:41 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2434
Location: NSW, Australia
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
SkyHigh314 wrote:
You all are forgetting about Buffalo..... I guarantee Buffalo will NOT go 0-6 in the division. They will play spoiler to some one, lets home not us. If the Jets lose to all three: Miami, Buffalo, and New England, they will end up 3-3. We are 1-2 at the moment, but if we beat buffalo, NY and NE altogether, we end up at 4-2. The tiebreaker would favor us.

Same with NE, they are 2-1 in the division. A loss to Buffalo and NY and Miami would leave them at 2-4 in the division. In this scenario we wouldnt even need to beat NY to have a better record. 3-3 would win this tiebreaker and we could afford a loss to NY or Buffalo and still catch NE. We would then need NE to lose one more game.... Chicago seems like a good one here. So NE loses to Buffalo, NY, Miami, and Chicago..... we go 4-1 down the stretch, and we take the 2.

The real battle in this whole picture is going to be the Jets-Steelers game. Some one needs to lose, and like was mentioned before, if the Jets lose, we are alive for the East #2. If the Steelers lose, plus Baltimore beats the Steelers, we are 1 game out, and they would have 4 divisional losses so that would even that record out as well. A 3 way tie for the 5 and 6 seeds could land us in the mix, especially since head-to-head would not be a factor.

Games to watch:
Baltimore vs Pitt rematch
Jets vs Pats rematch
Jets vs Bills rematch
Pats vs Bills rematch
Jets vs Chicago
Pats vs Chicago
NO vs Baltimore

and 2 upset specials:
Pit vs CLE
Cin vs Balt

After week 13 there will be more clarity. Right now, both the AFC North and AFC East division leaders are going to battle. So IF we can beat Cleveland this week, we will guarantee to gain a game on both wildcard races.....8-4 for the North, 9-3 for the East....... that would put us 1.5 games out of the 6th and 2.5 games out of the 5th. Either way, we gain a game on both races this week with 4 weeks to go. One week at a time guys, just one at a time.



Any of these scenarios is a LOT to ask for. Our odds are microscopic at best.
Also, division record is not a tiebreaker between us and Pitt.


Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:47 pm
Profile
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:39 pm
Posts: 1006
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
SkyHigh314 wrote:
A 3 way tie for the 5 and 6 seeds could land us in the mix, especially since head-to-head would not be a factor.


We cannot win any 3 way ties if we finish 11-5. Let's get that out of the way.

_________________
Image


Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:58 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
1984phins wrote:
SkyHigh314 wrote:
A 3 way tie for the 5 and 6 seeds could land us in the mix, especially since head-to-head would not be a factor.


We cannot win any 3 way ties if we finish 11-5. Let's get that out of the way.


There won't be anyway...Jacksonville and Indy play each other, which means one will have at least 6 losses, and the other wins the division. KC and SD play each other, and, assuming SD wins, KC would then have to win out, and they're conference record would still be worse than us.

It's between Pitt, Baltimore, NY, NE and us. The other 2 divisions are out of it if we go 11-5.


Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:00 pm
Profile
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:39 pm
Posts: 1006
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Phins Rock wrote:
1984phins wrote:
SkyHigh314 wrote:
A 3 way tie for the 5 and 6 seeds could land us in the mix, especially since head-to-head would not be a factor.


We cannot win any 3 way ties if we finish 11-5. Let's get that out of the way.


There won't be anyway...Jacksonville and Indy play each other, which means one will have at least 6 losses, and the other wins the division. KC and SD play each other, and, assuming SD wins, KC would then have to win out, and they're conference record would still be worse than us.

It's between Pitt, Baltimore, NY, NE and us. The other 2 divisions are out of it if we go 11-5.


Exactly. Also, it is almost impossible for us to get a 5th seed. We would have to finish better than NYJ/Ne AND Pitt/Balt. Hard to imagine that.

It is 6th seed or bust (prob bust)

PS: first round matchup would be on the road against Indy, Jax, KC, or SD. Too bad, for I like our chances against all of them.

_________________
Image


Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:05 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscen ... WinningPct

Have fun.

_________________
Image


Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:17 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Iowafin wrote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=WinningPct

Have fun.


I remember playing with this last season...didn't turn out too well. I'm staying away from it this year. Nothing matters if we don't take care of our business.


Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:20 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 8953
Location: Fargo, ND
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
I hate to be such a Debby Downer here, but this is likely what will happen. We win 4 of the next 5 games, miss out on the playoffs either through a tie breaker scenario or be a game back from the last wild cart spot. Then our record will give us a draft pick somewhere in the late teens. At this point, though I can't cheer for my team to lose, the best thing for us from a draft position point of view, would be to lose the rest of our games.


Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:41 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 3369
Location: Charleston AFB, SC
Post Re: 2010 AFC Standings (after 11 games played)
Bottom line, we HAVE to win out and we'll see what happens. We don't control squat. All we can do is win. We lose one game and we are playing for draft position.

_________________
Image


Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:52 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.