View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Why can't we do that all year?? 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Why can't we do that all year??
Henne looked great! Better than Peyton Manning did. Running game, great. Defense, awesome...

So why don't we play like this EVERY game? FYI, Henning still sucks.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:57 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Why can't we do that all year??
Because the running game finally woke up.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Raiders were average competition.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:39 pm
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ

Henning did everything he could think of to try to screw it up too. We won in spite of some ridiculous play calls with Thigpen etc.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:41 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I agree about Henning, I just pray he is gone after this year. What kind of idiotic playcall was that???

Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:45 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rock Sexton wrote:

Dont use logic, it ruins everything.... :fart:

Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:51 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

dolphinjim wrote:
I agree about Henning, I just pray he is gone after this year. What kind of idiotic playcall was that???

Do you really think that Sparano allowed Henning to insert Thigpen and pull Henne, who had been having a great game, for that small handful of plays, without his explicit consent?

For all we know Henne needed to rest his knee for a couple of plays, or perhaps they wanted to use the time to strategize (as in how to put the dagger in), or any number of circumstances that we have no idea of knowing.

But either way, I would be willing to bet my right arm that it was NOT a unilateral decision, and even if it were Henning saying "hey I have an idea", that Sparano gave explicit consent.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:13 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:

As are we.......

Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

dolphinjim wrote:
Henne looked great! Better than Peyton Manning did. Running game, great. Defense, awesome...

While you make the point that your dislike of Henning is great, I believe your argument lacks merit.

Your question: Why is Henne not better than Peyton Manning every game? Your answer: Henning. To me this is just plain silly.

Your question: Why doesnt Miami have an awesome defense every game? Your answer: Henning. Again this enters the realm of the ridiculous, in my thinking.

Your question: Why doesnt Miami have a great running game, every game? Your answer: Henning. This is the only one that might have any merit, in my opinion, but in that it fails to consider any other factors detracts from the point you are trying to make.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:27 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

AQNOR wrote:
dolphinjim wrote:

While you make the point that your dislike of Henning is great, I believe your argument lacks merit.

Your question: Why is Henne not better than Peyton Manning every game? Your answer: Henning. To me this is just plain silly.

Your question: Why doesnt Miami have an awesome defense every game? Your answer: Henning. Again this enters the realm of the ridiculous, in my thinking.

Your question: Why doesnt Miami have a great running game, every game? Your answer: Henning. This is the only one that might have any merit, in my opinion, but in that it fails to consider any other factors detracts from the point you are trying to make.

Wow dude, you are reading way too much into this, I will simplify....

Why doesn't the team look this good every game?

Better? :hithead:

Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:13 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

dolphinjim wrote:
Wow dude, you are reading way too much into this, I will simplify....

Why doesn't the team look this good every game?

Better? :hithead:

If you were not suggesting that Henning was the answer to your question then I apologize for misunderstanding the context.

The wording also seemed to suggest that Henne should be better than P. Manning every game. I think that comparison is a bit premature to make.

The level of competition, coaching/personnel decisions, inconsistency of play, maturity, and injuries just to name a few might be some possible answers.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:29 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Because the Raiders are not a very good team. Neither is Cleveland. Miami will beat up on the Browns this Sunday, NY will lose to NE, and we'll be heading into NY thinking we have a shot to get back into the race.

Fools gold. Let's enjoy it while it lasts though.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
Because the Raiders are not a very good team. Neither is Cleveland. Miami will beat up on the Browns this Sunday, NY will lose to NE, and we'll be heading into NY thinking we have a shot to get back into the race.

Yeah, to bad we can't play .500 or worse teams all season long. If you want to be a playoff team you have to beat the playoff caliber teams.

2010 Wins
Buffalo 2-9
Vikings 4-7
Packers 7-4
Bengals 2-9
Titans 5-6
Raiders 5-6

2010 Losses
Jets 9-2
Patriots 9-2
Steelers 8-3
Ravens 8-3
Bears 8-3

Last edited by bobby0112 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:38 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

dolphinjim wrote:

because this is what we do. We play tight, conservative, predictable football until we're out of it and in desperation mode to stay alive and then we unleash hell with the excellent football that we are capable of playing.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:47 pm

Be nice if we could schedule Gradkowski & the raiders 16 weeks in a row.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:32 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

ytnewton wrote:
Henning did everything he could think of to try to screw it up too. We won in spite of some ridiculous play calls with Thigpen etc.

There's nothing ridiculous about this. Sparano and Henning finally realized they're 1 snap away from him starting. He needs some reps. I'd love to see the guy run the wildcat.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:39 am

Phins Rock wrote:

Money :awe:

Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:40 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

It's funny to see all the homers going all negative.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:56 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Its pretty obvious that with all the handoffs, Thiggy coming in, and the resurgence of the Wildcat that Henne is not 100%. This is okay though, I would take a 80% Henne over any other QB on our roster. Henne was being spelled if you would to preserve his knee. Mind you we were ahead, and could use the running game as a crutch, our Running game WAS NOT THAT GOOD!!!! We were averaging about 2.4 yards per carry until Ricky broke the big one. Mind you, if you stick with it, something will eventually open up, but we had 30+ rushing attempts before we got a big one. Most often than not, this team will have a hard time getting 30 rushing attempts in a game. We held the ball, bled the clock, and clung to a slim lead until Ricky opened it up. Against a mediocre team, Our Defense was the story, we could have easily let them back in this one at any point. Now am I mad about anything this week? Absolutely not, a win is a win, and the coaching staff did not lose this one for us. But going forward, if this is the staple that everyone is looking for, I would be VERY concerned. Our run blocking is not that good, while Seymour and Houston are studs on the D line, our meager production should be expected, but this team now has 1 week to build on this rushing effort before the blitz happy Jets. I hope this is the foundation, and our running game gains some traction, otherwise its gonna be a long day in New York.

Henne can win games for us with his arm. Hopefully he is 100% by the Jets week. Otherwise we will have a mess to clean up. The innovative game planning was out of desperation and preservation. Im happy it worked, but I hope the wildcat can be a good crutch to give Henne time off in the coming weeks. It sure looks like he is going to need the breathers, especially with his knee in the condition it is. Gotta hand it to him, He is a warrior....... similar to another great Pittsburgh native QB we used to cheer for. Bring on the Brownsies

Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:48 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

bobby0112 wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Yeah, to bad we can't play .500 or worse teams all season long. If you want to be a playoff team you have to beat the playoff caliber teams.

2010 Wins
Buffalo 2-9
Vikings 4-7
Packers 7-4
Bengals 2-9
Titans 5-6
Raiders 5-6

2010 Losses
Jets 9-2
Patriots 9-2
Steelers 8-3
Ravens 8-3
Bears 8-3

They beat the teams they should beat...that's a major step in the right direction. One or two of losses turns into a win and this team is fighting for a top seed in the playoffs. But, right now, they're not quite there.

Which is why I'm shocked to see so many people calling for Sparano's head. How is it that hard to see this team is going in the right direction?

Guys we get back next year:
Jared Odrick, A.J. Edds, Will Allen (i think), Joey Haynos, and imo more importantly Nate Garner.
We may or may not have Phillip Merling.
Plus another year to get guys for Nolan's defense, another year under Henne's belt...

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:22 am

Rich wrote:
It's funny to see all the homers going all negative.

.....hey! I resemble that remark. Not negative....I'm back to enjoying the season. I jumped off the cliff after the Steeler's loss hit a hope updraft with Tennessee then plummetted back to Earth against Chicago. I fell so hard I'm now in Rich's camp for the recovering overly opportunistic. It is called camp reality. :)

Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:34 pm

Iowafin wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

2010 Wins
Buffalo 2-9
Vikings 4-7
Packers 7-4
Bengals 2-9
Titans 5-6
Raiders 5-6

2010 Losses
Jets 9-2
Patriots 9-2
Steelers 8-3
Ravens 8-3
Bears 8-3

They beat the teams they should beat...that's a major step in the right direction. One or two of losses turns into a win and this team is fighting for a top seed in the playoffs. But, right now, they're not quite there.

Which is why I'm shocked to see so many people calling for Sparano's head. How is it that hard to see this team is going in the right direction?

Guys we get back next year:
Jared Odrick, A.J. Edds, Will Allen (i think), Joey Haynos, and imo more importantly Nate Garner.
We may or may not have Phillip Merling.
Plus another year to get guys for Nolan's defense, another year under Henne's belt...

well said. We need Garner back more than anybody. So valuable to the interior of the line.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]