View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dolphins to give Henne final 5 games to prove his worth 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dolphins to give Henne final 5 games to prove his worth
"A friend of Bill Parcells" would know that privacy is something that Parcells demands from his friends, so, I question the source. Still, this all does line up with the rumors we've heard about Parcells and about Henne.

Barry Jackson wrote:
A friend of Bill Parcells' said he indicated he is becoming even more detached from the Dolphins and is open to becoming an architect for another team or broadcasting at ESPN. If he's not working elsewhere, Parcells is willing to offer some opinions on the draft to the Dolphins if he's asked. Parcells has made no secret to friends about his serious doubts about Chad Henne, but management wants to give him the final five games to prove if he's the answer for 2011.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/01/1 ... ining.html

Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:20 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Dolphins to give Henne final 5 games to prove his worth
I'm not sure about Parcells' ability as a QB evaluator, but it is a little disturbing when info keeps popping up that he has no faith in his hand picked guy.

But who knows if any of this is true.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

This kind of reporting is called "filler". Must have been a slow day. Bill Parcell's sister's cousin's best friends hair dresser said. Bla bla bla.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:10 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

That's Parcell's thought as of this time. We need to question Henne and not anoint him yet eiher way.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:52 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
That's Parcell's thought as of this time. We need to question Henne and not anoint him yet eiher way.

Good point.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:00 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
I'm not sure about Parcells' ability as a QB evaluator, but it is a little disturbing when info keeps popping up that he has no faith in his hand picked guy.

But who knows if any of this is true.

the thing that bothers me is that I read the other day that Sparano told his team to have fun the rest of the year.
Where is this attitude during the first half of the season when we still have a legit shot at the playoffs and the division title.
We could play loose the rest of the season and Henne could have a great final 5 games.

And then we start the same cycle again next season, where Henne plays tight and is throwing his usual dumb interceptions until we are out of the playoff hunt, and then Tony tells his team to play loose, long after we are in contention for the playoffs.
So i'm not sure how much these last 5 games really mean as far as Henne's worth to the Super Bowl plan.
Henne could throw for 300 yds. the rest of the way and I think I'd still want Andrew Luck.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:38 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
the thing that bothers me is that I read the other day that Sparano told his team to have fun the rest of the year.
Where is this attitude during the first half of the season when we still have a legit shot at the playoffs and the division title.
We could play loose the rest of the season and Henne could have a great final 5 games.

And then we start the same cycle again next season, where Henne plays tight and is throwing his usual dumb interceptions until we are out of the playoff hunt, and then Tony tells his team to play loose, long after we are in contention for the playoffs.
So i'm not sure how much these last 5 games really mean as far as Henne's worth to the Super Bowl plan.
Henne could throw for 300 yds. the rest of the way and I think I'd still want Andrew Luck.

I think this is a maturation process for both coach and QB. It took last season for them to figure Henne could handle the NFL game. It took this season for them to realize he is not Chad Pennington but still has plenty of potential. Hopefully next season they have a more complete team and Henne has found a rhythm he is comfortable with.

The key is going to be getting that ground game in motion.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

I think this is a maturation process for both coach and QB. It took last season for them to figure Henne could handle the NFL game. It took this season for them to realize he is not Chad Pennington but still has plenty of potential. Hopefully next season they have a more complete team and Henne has found a rhythm he is comfortable with.

The key is going to be getting that ground game in motion.

that's a BIG hopeful risk I'm not willing to take

Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:12 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Any guy coming out of the draft could be worse than Henne...

I think the key is to get a better o-coord to begin with, and let them evaluate Henne's progression together.

Remember, the kid was supposed to take over the job this season, last year he learned on the fly.
And to be quite frank, Henne is not the reason we lost most of the games this season. Henne is not the reasons our run game has been so lousy. Henne is not the reason our specail teams blows most of the time.

Henne's lack of leadership is what worry's me, a young team finding its way needs a leader, and anchor.
Sorry to break it to you, but some kid out of college aint going to pull it off with this coaching staff. We will be back to square 0 with a rookie, and least Henne is already in place...

Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:25 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:

And that's why your not an NFL GM.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:37 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I have no problem drafting another quarterback this year. I think the competition would be good for Henne, and you never know if you will land yourself in the middle of a Drew Brees/Phillip Rivers situation. That would be a great problem to have.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:38 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

swerve13 wrote:
Sparano told his team to have fun the rest of the year .... Henne plays tight and is throwing his usual dumb interceptions

I promise you that Sparano's F-bomb after that interception wasn't an indication of him having fun.

:)

swerve13 wrote:

I really like Henne and I think Parcells is just a veteran quarterback kind of a guy. They say he didn't trust Tony Romo at Dallas either and had to be convinced to use him. But, Andrew Luck looks to be a franchise quarterback. The Dolphins would have to trade the farm to get him. I really think we can win consistently with Henne, but he has to prove that to us.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Re: Dolphins to give Henne final 5 games to prove his worth
I go to that hair dresser by the way. Henne is a good QB, and I think if we can 'tweek' the decision makings and stare downs, he can be a big threat. Let's not bag him just yet. So many ppl are just ready to move on to the next guy, who ever that guy may be if there is a bad game. Give this till the end of the season, then lets talk about the Henne, stay or go.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:26 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phin wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

And that's why your not an NFL GM.

ya, it really must suck having an elite talent like Philip Rivers and Sam Bradford playing quarterback for your team

Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:28 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

cactustooth wrote:
I go to that hair dresser by the way. Henne is a good QB, and I think if we can 'tweek' the decision makings and stare downs, he can be a big threat. Let's not bag him just yet. So many ppl are just ready to move on to the next guy, who ever that guy may be if there is a bad game. Give this till the end of the season, then lets talk about the Henne, stay or go.

I just think that famous Parcells line about "If they don't bite as pups, they probably don't bite" is so true in the NFL. I just don't think Henne can turn the stare downs off and become a top 10 qb

Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:33 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:

I just think that famous Parcells line about "If they don't bite as pups, they probably don't bite" is so true in the NFL. I just don't think Henne can turn the stare downs off and become a top 10 qb
You do realize that Parcells was basically forced to play Romo. So its not like he is Qb guru.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:42 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

You do realize that Parcells was basically forced to play Romo. So its not like he is Qb guru.

I never said he was a guru. I don't like Romo any more than I like Chad Henne. They're both decent, but turn the ball over too much.
It's all about being clutch in pressure situations.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:31 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

swerve13 wrote:
I never said he was a guru. I don't like Romo any more than I like Chad Henne. They're both decent, but turn the ball over too much.

You wouldn't have liked Dan Marino then. He consistently threw 20+ interceptions per year ... something that Romo hasn't done yet even though he threw 36 touchdowns last year.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:58 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

You wouldn't have liked Dan Marino then. He consistently threw 20+ interceptions per year ... something that Romo hasn't done yet even though he threw 36 touchdowns last year.

Snap*

Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:00 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

....besides, Anderew Luck will be the Buffalo Bill by this time next year.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:20 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Parcells is over rated !!! Just looking for a better deal, got up and quit like Saban...

Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

except Marino was hitting 30, 40 TD's too
and always had us in the playoffs

Romo and Henne are not in the same atmosphere as Dan Marino

Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:47 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phin wrote:

might be a Panther or 49er too.
could be a Dolphin if we decided to make it happen
Just depends on how much an owner wants to win

Last edited by swerve13 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:49 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
Phin wrote:

might be a Panther of 49er too.
could be a Dolphin if we decided to make it happen
Just depends on how much an owner wants to win

I'm going to set aside the argument that Luck will have us win as that will go on forever.

If Andrew Luck comes out, and is a top 5 pick, do you realize what you have to trade to get him? Start with this year's and next year's first round pick. Add at least another mid round pick for this year and you'll probably have to see if you can get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Henne which would more than likely be included.

Now look at the rest of the team. Questions remain at RB, OL, DL, TE and S. This team is nowhere near complete, and is more than a QB away. If Miami tanks next year and Henne proves to be a bust then maybe you start looking at 2012 when the next flavor of the month, Matt Barkley, will be the prime chatter of the draft.

Also consider that its not even a given Luck is entering the draft this year.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

then we disagree with where this team is at in the building process. Every team has a few holes. Every team could improve here and there. But we do not have giant weaknesses like the Bills and Panthers do.

If we follow your plan then we are on a collision course to become the Vikings. A team that has everything, but forgot to get a quarterback along the way, so they keep kissing Old man Favre's butt to come in and do it every year.
What's wrong with getting the quarterback early in the process and then build around him. Worked for Atlanta. By the time we find our guy at QB....guys like Vontae and Wake will be getting big money offers from other teams.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:14 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
then we disagree with where this team is at in the building process. Every team has a few holes. Every team could improve here and there. But we do not have giant weaknesses like the Bills and Panthers do.

If we follow your plan then we are on a collision course to become the Vikings. A team that has everything, but forgot to get a quarterback along the way, so they keep kissing Old man Favre's butt to come in and do it every year.
What's wrong with getting the quarterback early in the process and then build around him. Worked for Atlanta. By the time we find our guy at QB....guys like Vontae and Wake will be getting big money offers from other teams.

The Chargers let a 2nd round QB with early struggles go and put all of their eggs in a 1st round pick. Since then the Saints have a Super Bowl and the Chargers have nothing but nice statistics.

Your plan relies on guarantees that Henne is going to fail and Luck is primed to succeed.

Nothing wrong with getting the QB early on. I believe we already drafted him in 2008.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Though Marino only had one season with more interceptions than touchdowns.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

The Chargers let a 2nd round QB with early struggles go and put all of their eggs in a 1st round pick. Since then the Saints have a Super Bowl and the Chargers have nothing but nice statistics.

Your plan relies on guarantees that Henne is going to fail and Luck is primed to succeed.

Nothing wrong with getting the QB early on. I believe we already drafted him in 2008.

The Chargers still have the better quarterback. I like Brees but he went to one of the most quarterback friendly systems around. Sean Payton is what keeps the Saints an excellent team, and it was his playcalling that won the Super Bowl.
I hope you're right about Henne. I'll gladly eat crow if im wrong.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
First off Miam is in a lot better shape Qb wise than Minn. Second. What do you think Miami is doing with Henne? In order to get a top college QB, then you had better be drafting early. That means Miami needs to go 2-14 or trade up. Trading up cost a ton in picks.

swerve13 wrote:

The Chargers still have the better quarterback.
Do you realize what a cream puff schedule Rivers gets to go up against? He has struggled in the playoffs when he faces good teams.

Plus he has had probably one of the most talented offensive around him.

swerve13 wrote:

I like Brees but he went to one of the most quarterback friendly systems around. Sean Payton is what keeps the Saints an excellent team, and it was his playcalling that won the Super Bowl.
Playcalling? What about the execution of the plays called?

Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phin wrote:
I have no problem drafting another quarterback this year. I think the competition would be good for Henne, and you never know if you will land yourself in the middle of a Drew Brees/Phillip Rivers situation. That would be a great problem to have.
If they draft one it had better be in Rd. 3 or later. Without a 2nd they need other things with that 1st pick.

Its not like SD went out & got Rivers because Brees was doing so well. Henne is doing much better than Brees was in his 2nd Yr of starting. How many people were saying Brees would never be a quality Qb in the NFL after 2003?

Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:03 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
The Chargers still have the better quarterback. I like Brees but he went to one of the most quarterback friendly systems around. Sean Payton is what keeps the Saints an excellent team, and it was his playcalling that won the Super Bowl.

I'll take Brees over Rivers. Brees had a few rough games this year, but he has excelled on two teams, and both relied on him to take them places. Rivers has had a heck of a cast his entire career, not to mention a solid team that was already built for him. Heck, Rivers was even rumored as trade bait in his second season after Brees was putting up good performances.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:09 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

"Plus he has had probably one of the most talented offensive around him." I don't think this makes your case. Most of the "talent" has been holding out or injured and Rivers has still played well.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
First off Miam is in a lot better shape Qb wise than Minn. Second. What do you think Miami is doing with Henne? In order to get a top college QB, then you had better be drafting early. That means Miami needs to go 2-14 or trade up. Trading up cost a ton in picks.

swerve13 wrote:

The Chargers still have the better quarterback.
Do you realize what a cream puff schedule Rivers gets to go up against? He has struggled in the playoffs when he faces good teams.

Plus he has had probably one of the most talented offensive around him.

swerve13 wrote:

I like Brees but he went to one of the most quarterback friendly systems around. Sean Payton is what keeps the Saints an excellent team, and it was his playcalling that won the Super Bowl.

are you kidding me? Rivers has been putting up record pace yardage and TD totals with Patrick Crayton and Seyi Arijotutu as his starting wide receivers, and a severely injured Gates in and out of the lineup. And he's been without Jackson for the entire year, and he's still having argueably his best season ever.

and as for San Diego having a cream puff schedule....so do the Saints.
The Saints run a spread, dink and dunk offense. There is always somebody open.
It's a different guy every week (Meachem, Bush, Moore, Henderson, Colston)

Last edited by swerve13 on Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

I'll take Brees over Rivers. Brees had a few rough games this year, but he has excelled on two teams, and both relied on him to take them places. Rivers has had a heck of a cast his entire career, not to mention a solid team that was already built for him. Heck, Rivers was even rumored as trade bait in his second season after Brees was putting up good performances.

Rivers is the closest thing to a modern day Marino. The guy is incredible.
He can play with nobodies and still put 30 points on the board.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:18 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:

According to many here on this board, coaching is ALWAYS the problem, including when players clearly make boneheaded plays.

When Henne is timid and doesn't take a risk, it's Henning's playcalling. That we don't have anyone outside of Wake as a legit pass rusher is somehow Nolan's fault. Ad infinitum.

Anyone who would credit Peyton over Brees in that game is an idiot.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:18 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

eleaf wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

According to many here on this board, coaching is ALWAYS the problem, including when players clearly make boneheaded plays.

When Henne is timid and doesn't take a risk, it's Henning's playcalling. That we don't have anyone outside of Wake as a legit pass rusher is somehow Nolan's fault. Ad infinitum.

Anyone who would credit Peyton over Brees in that game is an idiot.

maybe you're the idiot pal. Brees wasn't doin much of anything until Payton called for the onside kick and changed the game momentum completely. He coached that game perfectly. he pulled out all the stops while caldwell coached not to lose.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:58 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
maybe you're the idiot pal.

You must be one of those re-treads who gets banned for making these statements and then comes back incognito under a different name. Name calling doesn't fly around here compadre.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:07 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:

are you kidding me? Rivers has been putting up record pace yardage and TD totals with Patrick Crayton and Seyi Arijotutu as his starting wide receivers, and a severely injured Gates in and out of the lineup. And he's been without Jackson for the entire year, and he's still having argueably his best season ever.
I was referring to over his career.

swerve13 wrote:

and as for San Diego having a cream puff schedule....so do the Saints.
Not nearly as bad.

swerve13 wrote:

The Saints run a spread, dink and dunk offense. There is always somebody open.
It's a different guy every week (Meachem, Bush, Moore, Henderson, Colston)
Chargers YPA is 8.9. Saints is 7.3

Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:33 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:

Rivers is the closest thing to a modern day Marino. The guy is incredible.
He can play with nobodies and still put 30 points on the board.
Of course is incredible. He is playing losing teams. SD plays one of the biggest cream puff schedules. The Raider, Chiefs & Broncos twice a year. Then they move outside the division & play the 49ers, Seahawks, Rams & the Cardinals. Here Miami plays NE, Jets twice, then Raven, Steelers, Packers, Bears & the Titans who are better than their record. Slight difference in quality of teams.

What happens to the modern day Marino in the playoffs. Lost to the Jets last year because he could only put up 14. He has yet to hang 30 in a playoff game & lets face it. The Charges have been on of the biggest disappointments in the NFL over the last several years. Have all the talent in the world, but come playoff time they go home.

I'm not saying Rivers is not a talented Qb, just look at the whole picture.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:42 am
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Phin wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
maybe you're the idiot pal.

You must be one of those re-treads who gets banned for making these statements and then comes back incognito under a different name. Name calling doesn't fly around here compadre.

No need to call people names.....Consider this a verbal warning.....

Mods

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:43 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next