View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Expectatations from a Browns fan for Sunday's game 
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Post Expectatations from a Browns fan for Sunday's game
Hey all! Brooks here, and yes, I'm well past the age of getting carded when I need to buy wine - and I'm a life long Browns fan. Before I get to the game stuff, I'll bet it's just a bit warmer in Miami than what we awoke to this morning........3" of snow and 25°. Next week the Browns travel to Orchard Park for a date with the Bills - so we could go from 70° to 7°. LOL!

Anyway, I'm a big NFL fan, so I'd like to hear what you guys are looking to see from the Dolphins against my Browns this week. I'll lead off with what I see in store from the Browns side of things.

Jake Delhomme was imported this off season to start, and mentor the heir apparent at QB. Part one of this role has been an incomplete, as he has been down most of the year with the dreaded high ankle sprain. When he returned last week, he really played well..........in the first half. The ball was being delivered crisply and on time to the WR's. That part of the offense has not flourished under Colt. At this point in his career, he is strictly a TR and RB type of QB. Anyway, Jake had a major meltdown in the second half with very costly interceptions. It never should have come to it - due to our own offensive stagnation or a critical official's gaffe - but the Browns were fortunate to escape with a one point win.

Offensively, I'd like to see from the Browns:

Can Jake successfully extract his head from his posterior and stop throwing interceptions? If not, the Browns will be hard pressed to win this game.
Can Peyton Hillis continue his march to the Pro Bowl? The Browns offensive MVP, that's for sure.
Do the WR's contribute and force the Dolphins to defend the whole field, and not 1/3 of it?
Will the OL keep the heat off Jake?
Is Josh Cribbs ready to go? He is recovering after dislocating 4 toes on his right foot.

Defensively -

Eric Wright is slated to return at corner. The match up with Brandon Marshall concerns me. Rookie Joe Haden has shown incredible progress the past few weeks, so will he draw the assignment opposite Marshall?
Can the Browns generate a decent pass rush? Big area of need if they want to limit the Dolphins passing game. The Browns getting off the field on third down has been a real problem this year.
How stout will the run defense be? It will face a very stiff test this week, courtesy of Mr. Brown and Williams. This defense really misses the leadership of Scott Fujita, out still a couple of more weeks with a knee injury.

Well, there's my side. Let me know what you guys think of this match up.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:34 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post Re: Expectatations from a Browns fan for Sunday's game
Brrrrrr!!! Coldest I have ever been in my life was in Cleveland during the 1995 playoff game vs NE at the old Municipal Stadium. I was numb for 2 days! OK on to this game....

We need Chad Henne to play loose like he did last week. Our defense stuffed the #2 running attack decisively and I think we can bottle up Hillis. If we get pressure on Delhomme, we should win pretty easily. BUT....if we get sloppy, Cribbs is the type of player that can kill us. Overall, at home I give Miami the edge, but it will be closer than most would think.

Cle-17
Miami-23

A bunch o' FGs from Carpenter, again.

Good luck!

Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:27 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Seeing that Mike Nolan had Peyton Hillis in Denver, I think that he's got something in store for him. Miami was able to shut down McFadden last week (8 carries for 2 yards with a long of 6 yards), and haven't allowed anything in the run game in weeks. That said, Hillis is not somebody you want to be tackling in December.

I'm not worried about the Browns passing game at all. I think Vontae and Sean will shut down their end of things. The match-up I'm really looking forward to watching is Joe Thomas vs. Cameron Wake. The best vs. the best.

I think that you'll be seeing Marshall in a limited capacity. I think we want to make sure he's at close to 100% for the Jets game next week. That said Hartline and Bess are both feeling it right now, and I think Miami is able to get the passing game going, more so than the run game.

Miami 24
Cleveland 13

Miami cannot afford to look past the Browns today with NY next week. If they do, Cleveland will hand it to them. If they play like they did last week, Miami wins this game handily.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:52 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Thanks guys - I think you are pretty close to the truth. I think the Browns will have a difficult time winning today. I think they keep it competitive, but once again I think they will be unable to close the Dolphins out. I am looking for a score in the neighborhood of 23-17 Miami. May the best team win!

Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:11 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Brooks, welcome to the forum. You were right about your comment to Jake removing his head from his....bleep...

I would've liked to have watched Colt play a bit in this game. The Brown's future (and Mangini's for that matter) lie in this kid's success. Good luck to you guys bud, but I still hope we come out on top ;-)

Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:34 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Colt would have been fun to watch. Tough game at the half.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]