View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 
 Jason Allen 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Jason Allen
Still leads the Dolphins in interceptions, tied for 2nd in the NFL with 6 behind only Asante Samuel with 7.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:30 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Jason Allen
Rich wrote:
Still leads the Dolphins in interceptions, tied for 2nd in the NFL with 6 behind only Asante Samuel with 7.

Still not sure if the cup is half full or half empty with this guy?.by his int stats its obvious he can make plays but still has shown to be a liability.

If I remember correctly it was his blown assignment that handed the Jets the victory vs the Texans this year...a guy should go lurk over at the Texans boards to see how their fans feel about him?..

His contract is up at the end of the year is it not?...I wonder if the dolphins give this guy another look?..personally I think we've seen the last of him but who knows...

Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

paydurt wrote:

Still not sure if the cup is half full or half empty with this guy?.by his int stats its obvious he can make plays but still has shown to be a liability.

If I remember correctly it was his blown assignment that handed the Jets the victory vs the Texans this year...a guy should go lurk over at the Texans boards to see how their fans feel about him?..

His contract is up at the end of the year is it not?...I wonder if the dolphins give this guy another look?..personally I think we've seen the last of him but who knows...
Put the guy at safety & he will flourish.

He is a play maker.

It was the safety that failed to get over to provide deep help on that play. Allen did not play it perfectly, but the safety was suppose to be there & was late.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:24 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Sean Smith has been much better than what JA gave us. He might not be creating big plays, but he is SHUTTING DOWN his man.

JA was in a contract year and only had one role on this team. Plus, he was giving up too many big plays that cost us big time.

I'm not losing sleep over him.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:36 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

paydurt wrote:
Rich wrote:

Jason Allen is a one trick pony. Excellent in bump n run, man to man defense where he can use his size to chuck the WR at the LOS and run with them down the field. Put him in zone and he's lost. Put him in nickle and he's a liability. Play him off his man and his man will beat him.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
paydurt wrote:

Put the guy at safety & he will flourish.

He is a play maker.

It was the safety that failed to get over to provide deep help on that play. Allen did not play it perfectly, but the safety was suppose to be there & was late.

They did, he didn't, end of story. Allen doesn't do well in space.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:58 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

You cannot deny his 6 int's as that is to be commended, but still after watching him here locally in Houston, he continues to give up a lot of big plays.

Amazing stat really with all those picks, yet the guy seems lost on the field at times. He was a solid special teams performer for Miami and I still wonder why Miami didn't stick with him as that is a value in the NFL.

As with Junkie's opinion, Allen is strong in press coverage, but when in space, he does not seem to adjust well.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He has a lot of interceptions because he's getting targeted all game long. Opposing teams point him out as the weak point in our/their defense because he's a cornerback that plays like a safety. Jason Allen does have good ball skills, and at 6'2" he does have ideal height to win jump balls. But what Jason Allen doesnt have is cover skills, the guy is a flat out liability in man-to-man coverage. He'll get picked on every time. The problem with Allen is that for every good play he made, he had two or three bad ones. He'd get an interception, then he'd give up two or three big plays. Whether it be a touchdown, a long pass down the sideline, or a 3rd down conversion, Allen never could shut anyone down. He'd always wind up being out of position, getting burned, or falling down. The good didn't outweigh the bad with Jason Allen in my opinion, I'm glad he's gone.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:06 pm

Bottom line: I'd love to have a player with 6 INTs on the roster right now.

Sean Smith wasn't shutting anyone down against the Lions...

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Bottom line: I'd love to have a player with 6 INTs on the roster right now.

Sean Smith wasn't shutting anyone down against the Lions...

Not having Karlos Dansby didn't help matters either.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:26 pm
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Stats lie sometimes, and we all know that.

All the above statements pertaining to JA being lost are in line with my opinion. It was time to move on.

We could if this and if that all day long about players we've missed out on, or traded away yadda yadda.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
Sean Smith has been much better than what JA gave us. He might not be creating big plays, but he is SHUTTING DOWN his man.

JA was in a contract year and only had one role on this team. Plus, he was giving up too many big plays that cost us big time.

I'm not losing sleep over him.

Allen was not in a contract year. He signed a 6 Yr deal. Not losing sleep over him either, but its a shame a man cut half way through the season is the leading Int man.

I'm not sure I'd say Smith is shutting anyone down, but he is improving.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:

Jason Allen is a one trick pony. Excellent in bump n run, man to man defense where he can use his size to chuck the WR at the LOS and run with them down the field. Put him in zone and he's lost. Put him in nickle and he's a liability. Play him off his man and his man will beat him.

For one. He is a safety. He was a better safety in college than CB.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:02 pm

It doesn't surprise me to see fans continue their line of thinking on a particular player even when that player has performed better than I am sure they ever expected. Allen could go on to post 6 interceptions a season for the next 5 seasons and it won't change anything.

The Dolphins were wrong to let him go. His replacement was Al Harris, who is now sitting on IR after stinking up the field.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:32 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Here are the issues that we have to look at regarding football. Is a certain player an upgrade over the current one? I am no fan of Allen, but Al Harris was not an upgrade and I would rather have Allen. Ditto with Sapp over Allen. It was wrong to get rid of Allen. How can you go from starter with 6 picks to being replaced and cut by someone on IR, dumb IMO.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:08 pm
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Yeah, hindsight is always 20/20 right?

What if we would've taken Brees instead of Culpepper.
What if we would have taken Ryan over Long.
What if we would've drafted Tom Brady in the 6th round.
What if Dan Marino was still playing?
What if we still had Don Shula coaching?
What if...
What if....
What if.....
What if.......

If Al Harris would've came in and locked things down, it would've been the best thing since sliced bread. Same goes for Saap.

Allen was a liability in coverage.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:32 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I liked Jason Allen's big play ability and I always felt he was a safety, not a cornerback. But we have been debating Jason Allen for 6 years and 3 head coaches and we are still at square one with him.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:40 pm
Profile WWW

Coots wrote:
Yeah, hindsight is always 20/20 right?

Except for those who were calling it a bad move when it happened.

Quote:
What if we would've taken Brees instead of Culpepper.
What if we would have taken Ryan over Long.
What if we would've drafted Tom Brady in the 6th round.
What if Dan Marino was still playing?
What if we still had Don Shula coaching?
What if...
What if....
What if.....
What if.......

Great points. No really...

Quote:
Allen was a liability in coverage.

So are Sapp and Smith. The big difference is Allen causes turnovers. I'll take a liability that causes turnovers over liabilities that don't.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:26 pm

Big Dave wrote:
But we have been debating Jason Allen for 6 years and 3 head coaches and we are still at square one with him.

Square one? No. He's on another team flourishing and is tied for 2nd in the NFL in interceptions.

As for the comment made earlier regarding lurking on Texans forums to see what their fans think. Most of them seem to think he is the only player of value in their secondary.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Oh well. I like our secondary. Allen gave up as many big plays as he had INT's.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:11 pm

Rich wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
But we have been debating Jason Allen for 6 years and 3 head coaches and we are still at square one with him.

Square one? No. He's on another team flourishing and is tied for 2nd in the NFL in interceptions.

As for the comment made earlier regarding lurking on Texans forums to see what their fans think. Most of them seem to think he is the only player of value in their secondary.

He's not flourishing. He cost them a win against NY, got burned by Baltimore on Monday Night, and those are the only two games I've seen. I'd be willing to bet that in his other games in Houston he's getting roasted as well.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:22 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
He's not flourishing.

He's just 2nd in the NFL in INTs.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
Oh well. I like our secondary. Allen gave up as many big plays as he had INT's.

i agree with what someone else said. If you're a corner with alot of picks, you're probably being targeted often.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:36 pm

swerve13 wrote:
i agree with what someone else said. If you're a corner with alot of picks, you're probably being targeted often.

So is that a bad thing? Should we be disappointed if one of our corners gets 6 picks because that means he gets targetted often?

Here are the guys that according to your premise are being targetted often.

Asante Samuel, CB
Tramon Williams, CB
DeAngelo Hall, CB
Jason Allen, CB
Aqib Talib, CB
Devin McCourty, CB
Joe Haden, CB
Brent Grimes, CB
Terrell Thomas, CB
Alphonso Smith, CB
Charles Tillman, CB
Corey Webster, CB

Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:41 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:

He's not flourishing. He cost them a win against NY

For the 20th time. The safety had the over the top coverage & was late getting there. Allen played the play under.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:19 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

He's just 2nd in the NFL in INTs.
It amazes me how some believe a CB is not suppose to get beat. Only a select few do that.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:20 am

Dphins4me wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

He's not flourishing. He cost them a win against NY

For the 20th time. The safety had the over the top coverage & was late getting there. Allen played the play under.

Playing the under? There is no under there. All Houston has to do is prevent a TD with like 20 seconds left.

And the safety was up on somebody else who was free. JA should not have let Edwards get past him. Stupid mistake.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:20 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

For the last how many years have we been wishing and hoping for Jason Allen. Yes, he has 6 picks, but he gave up way too many big plays for Miami and there was a reason Sean Smith took his job back. The Texans have one if not the worst secondary in the NFL and Allen continues to get abused. Yes, he does have 6 int's and again that is to be commended, but I would like to see a true stat of how many balls thrown his way, how many knock downs, how many times was he burnt etc etc.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:22 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Six interceptions is a nice statistic to have, I certainly wish someone on our team right now had that. I wish Allen all the best of luck with his new team, may he have a good career in Texas. That being said, he was a bust of a draft pick for us because he never realized his potention while he played for OUR team. He was a first round pick that got beat out and replaced by a late second round pick and he lost his job, end of story.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:04 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
Playing the under? There is no under there. All Houston has to do is prevent a TD with like 20 seconds left.

And the safety was up on somebody else who was free. JA should not have let Edwards get past him. Stupid mistake.

The safety was not on someone else. Allen released him expecting safety help.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:51 am

wkloiber13 wrote:
Six interceptions is a nice statistic to have, I certainly wish someone on our team right now had that. I wish Allen all the best of luck with his new team, may he have a good career in Texas. That being said, he was a bust of a draft pick for us because he never realized his potention while he played for OUR team. He was a first round pick that got beat out and replaced by a late second round pick and he lost his job, end of story.

And being moved between corner and safety by three different coaching staffs, not letting him grow into one or the other, had nothing to do with that?

A player isn't necessarily just a bust because of the player, sometimes its because of the coaches.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:04 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Jason Allen seemed like a nice guy and a good special teams player but he was not a legit starter. The ranking of the defense greatly improved after he was cut. Also, one of the big reasons why he has so many picks is because he is targeted by almost every offense he faces.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:45 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

sean smith isnt playing well. he cannot tackle. he cannot catch the football. jason allen should be starting over him, imo.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Here are the issues that we have to look at regarding football. Is a certain player an upgrade over the current one? I am no fan of Allen, but Al Harris was not an upgrade and I would rather have Allen. Ditto with Sapp over Allen. It was wrong to get rid of Allen. How can you go from starter with 6 picks to being replaced and cut by someone on IR, dumb IMO.

Great points mak. Jason Allen isn't that good of a player, but he shouldn't have been cut since we did not upgrade his position. lol

Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]