View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Running back draft options vary for Miami Dolphins 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Running back draft options vary for Miami Dolphins
Quote:
By Barry Jackson
bjackson@MiamiHerald.com
With the Dolphins poised to make changes on offense, here's a quick NFL Draft primer on positions other than quarterback, which we addressed previously:

• Running back: Alabama junior Mark Ingram is the only consensus first-rounder (22th overall by ESPN's Mel Kiper). ``Solid finisher but top-end speed is in question,'' Kiper said. An NFC scout said Ingram, if he turns pro, isn't a good value in the midteens, where Miami likely will pick: ``Will be a good back, not great.''

Sporting News analyst/former Browns scout Russ Lande said Virginia Tech third-year sophomore Ryan Williams and Oklahoma senior DeMarco Murray could sneak into the first round. Both would be options if Miami -- which has no second-round pick -- trades down.

If Miami waits until the third round or beyond, senior options could include Oklahoma State's Kendall Hunter (strong, can make defenders miss), Kansas State's Daniel Thomas (5.4-yard average but lacks burst in the open field), Southern California's speedy Allen Bradford (a former safety) and UM's Graig Cooper (``size and speed project well to the NFL,'' Kiper said). One scout said UM's Damien Berry is a midrounder.

• Offensive line: Kiper has no guards or centers rated in his top 25, but he does have four tackles: Colorado's Nate Solder (17th), Boston College's Anthony Castonzo (18), Mississippi State's Derek Sherrod (20) and Wisconsin's Gabe Carimi (21). So if Miami takes any of those four, it could use him at right tackle and move Vernon Carey to guard, if Carey is kept.

Lande said two guard/centers could be first-rounders: Penn State's Stefan Wisniewski (``could become a Pro Bowler at guard or center'') and FSU's Rodney Hudson (``the most dominant offensive lineman I've graded, but he's only 280 to 285 pounds.'') Center will be addressed unless Miami re-signs Richie Incognito to play there.

Lande said UF guard/center Mike Pouncey could be a second-rounder. ``Pouncey can really pull but he hasn't figured out how to do the shotgun snap, so a lot of teams will see him as a guard,'' an NFC scout said. Georgia's Clint Boling and Baylor's Danny Watkins are third-round options at guard, a priority for Miami.

• Tight end: Not a great draft class, but Miami likely will try to find someone to pair with Anthony Fasano. Wisconsin's Lance Kendricks (39 receptions, 16.1-yard average) is a former track athlete and ``a lesser version of the Jets' Dustin Keller,'' Lande said. ``Solid guy but I wouldn't be excited to take him in the first three rounds.'' Arkansas' D.J. Williams and South Carolina's Wesleye Saunders (kicked off the team in September) ``are similar: good blockers, good hands, both third- or fourth-round types.''

Top junior Kyle Rudolph of Notre Dame, out since October after hamstring surgery, is a possible first-rounder if he turns pro.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/29/1 ... z19cPOUF9N

Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:51 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Running back draft options vary for Miami Dolphins
I'll call it right now. Mike Leshoure will be in a Dolphin uniform next season. He's the type of big, physical Big Ten guy that Ireland would fall in love with.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:14 pm
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

I'm sorry but this is funny.

Quote:
(22th overall by ESPN's Mel Kiper)

Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
I'll call it right now. Mike Leshoure will be in a Dolphin uniform next season. He's the type of big, physical Big Ten guy that Ireland would fall in love with.

I've been saying this was the guy all along. I personally think he's better than Ingram. Leshoure had another monster day yesterday in his bowl game too. The guy has very comparable numbers to what Ingram put up when he won the Heisman yet Leshoure will likely go in the late 2nd or 3rd round. I hope he's there when we pick in the 3rd, he'll be the steal of the draft if that happens. He's the prototype power back, he'd make a great replacement for Ronnie Brown or Ricky Williams depending on who we're letting go.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]