View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Marshall expresses reservations about his pairing with Henne 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Marshall expresses reservations about his pairing with Henne
Quote:
DAVIE — After toeing the company line all season, Brandon Marshall admitted Thursday he's "not sure" if he and Dolphins quarterback Chad Henne can become a great combination in 2011.

"We had some opportunities this year to get it done and we didn't do that," Marshall said. "I guess we have to evaluate what we've done this year and see where we can improve and see if we can become good before we can become great."

Marshall, whose string of 100-catch seasons appears certain to end at three, also seemed to issue a vote of no-confidence in offensive coordinator Dan Henning ("I don't make those decisions") while fully endorsing Tony Sparano ("Awesome").

When told Henning recently said Marshall's 11.3-yard average remains close to his career norm, the receiver denied that was his ceiling.

I wouldn't place that stigma on me: 'That's my history,' " Marshall said. "Put in the right situation, I'm sure I can be a guy to average 15-16 yards a catch. I don't see why not. Just throw it up, and I'll go get it.

"I don't care if there's one guy on me or two guys on me. There's no excuse for that. Just got to take advantage of what I'm blessed with, my body and my ability."

Marshall, while facing double coverage most of the season, made just three catches longer than 25 yards. Fellow wide receiver Brian Hartline had five, while tight end Anthony Fasano had four.

"Brandon is such a big-bodied guy," Sparano said. "To me he's not always covered, even when he's covered."

Marshall's advice to Henne?

"Just got to let it go, you know?" Marshall said. "Don't worry about the consequences. Just throw it up and see what happens. Throw a pick or whatever. Let's live and die by it."

"That's something I'm used to in the past," Marshall said. "Just guys believing in me. You make plays like that, you build confidence in each other, you get a little snowball effect. We didn't get that this year, and it's disappointing."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:57 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Marshall expresses reservations about his pairing with Henne
The title of the thread/article is misleading.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:05 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:
The title of the thread/article is misleading.

Sure is...
Seemed to take the blame along with Chad as he has the last few weeks..

Seems he loves Sparano and has nothing to say about Henning.

Quote:
"Just got to let it go, you know?" Marshall said. "Don't worry about the consequences. Just throw it up and see what happens. Throw a pick or whatever. Let's live and die by it."

:yay: at least someone gets it :yay:

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:20 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

He pretty much expressed everything us fans have been saying all year... we got this big bodied playmaker that we're throwing numerous hitch routes to.

Let him be him... was a waste of an extremely talented player this year.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:14 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Agreed this crap journalism trying to insinuate that Marshall said something that he didn't.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:41 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Very misleading for sure Rich. Marshall is careful and respectful with his words.

Another person in Sparano's corner. Unless something ridiculous happens in Sundays game like a crazy drubbing, that is the only way I can see causing Ross for a clean house reaction, but then again, he appears to be sensible in his reactions so far, so I anticipate Sparano staying and hopefully we really get the very best Offensive Coordinator and I expect shake ups at other coaching spots as well.

I do expect Miami to come prepared and no matter what string players they go against, I expect a close game.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:45 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Maybe we get Orton in here to compete? I know he was able to find Marshall often in Denver. It will also help immensely when we get a new OC.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:26 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I always hate articles like this, they are very misleading because players always hold back when talking with the media. It's impossible to decipher what Marshall wants to say from what he is actually saying, because he's actually saying nothing in this article other than he wants our offense to take more shots down field to him next year and that Sparano is a good coach. What receiver is going to bad mouth his coach? What receiver doesn't want more deep passes?

Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:55 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
After throwing the game's final interception on a mishap that occurred when his intended wide receiver slipped on a route, Dolphins quarterback Chad Henne was met on the sideline Sunday by an unpleasant earful from teammate Brandon Marshall.

This type of sideline exchange is nothing new. It is a scenario that has played out often enough this season for most to chalk it up as the expected emotion from Miami's energetic star. Unfortunately, it's not all that simple.

Henne is trying to walk a fine line lately between following the coach's orders and trying to fulfill his wide receiver's very vocal desires.

``You do what your coaches tell you,'' Henne said. ``Sometimes, [Marshall] might be right. But sometimes, he's completely wrong. If I make that decision and follow what he says, and it's a mistake, who's fault is it? I take all the blame, and I'm OK with that.''

``I don't think [the relationship] is ruined,'' Henne said when asked about their differences. ``I just deal with it. It is what it is. As long as he shows up on Sundays and does his job, we're good.''

It is the interaction on Sundays, though, that might be the biggest issue between them.

Henne isn't the type of person to get his feelings hurt by such words. But when his responsibilities and assignments during a game directly clash with the desires of his wide receiver, the situation gets a bit hairy.

Essentially, Marshall has so much to say -- sometimes when he's right, sometimes when he's wrong -- that it ends up having an opposite, unintended impact. Keep in mind, Marshall still has caught 81 passes in 13 games.

``He can yell at me all he wants, and I'll still just give him a straight face,'' Henne said. ``I take in what he's saying. But for me to jump out and react, we're not getting anywhere. I take it in. I fix what I have to fix. And I try to be the best player I can be.''

Coach Tony Sparano said he has at times spoken to Henne about occasionally taking a risky shot for Marshall, as Marshall suggested he do more often. But the message, more often than not, still is to resist throwing interceptions at all costs.

So perhaps Marshall might actually have a point, which is the reason Henne is in a tough spot. That's why it also stands to wonder whether some shuffling to the offensive coaching staff this offseason, which is expected, could help alleviate some of the growing tension between the two.

Wide receivers coach Karl Dorrell, for instance, could end up being the perfect candidate to fuse these players together, if he's put in a position to handle more responsibilities on offense. Dorrell's personality and creativity fits both players.

Following the final interception last Sunday, which Sparano said wasn't Henne's fault, backup quarterback Tyler Thigpen attempted to get in between Henne and Marshall to calm Marshall down.

Marshall turned to Thigpen and ordered him to go back to the bench and sit down. Perhaps it wasn't the best response (Marshall apologized to Thigpen), but the point was made: This is mostly between Henne and Marshall.

``I see it getting better,'' Sparano said. ``I've never seen that kind of relationship not get better if you work at it in the offseason. But all parties have to be willing to do that.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/01/01/1 ... z19oK4Q18C

Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Henne is proving he doesn't have the leadership skills to take control of this football team. He can't handle a loud personality like Marshall, and it shows when guys like Marshall and Fasano are yelling at him on the sideline. Henne just doesn't seem to display the leadership qualities he had when he was the starter at Michigan. He just doesn't seem to have that fire and control over his players right now. Maybe he does have the physical tools, but right now he's not displaying good judgement when he thows and he's not stepping up to his role as the leader of this football team.
I like Henne, I think he's right on the cusp of being a good game manager style of quarterback, but his lack of leadership/confidence is starting to bother me. Maybe he isn't as tough as we thought?

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:49 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

wkloiber13 wrote:
Henne is proving he doesn't have the leadership skills to take control of this football team. He can't handle a loud personality like Marshall, and it shows when guys like Marshall and Fasano are yelling at him on the sideline. Henne just doesn't seem to display the leadership qualities he had when he was the starter at Michigan. He just doesn't seem to have that fire and control over his players right now. Maybe he does have the physical tools, but right now he's not displaying good judgement when he thows and he's not stepping up to his role as the leader of this football team.
I like Henne, I think he's right on the cusp of being a good game manager style of quarterback, but his lack of leadership/confidence is starting to bother me. Maybe he isn't as tough as we thought?

I would like to see more demonstrative leadership from Henne too, but saying he can't handle a loud personality like Marshall is a reach.

What should he do in those situations? Get in a shouting match with a WR that obviously can't control his emotions or a TE that doesn't understand that he hasn't done anything yet?

I don't think though that he has shown enough to warrant going into 2011's training camp unchallenged. I just don't think it is the highest priority this off-season as many do on Phinfever.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]