View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Bryant or McClain?!?!?! 

Who to Pick at 12?
Dez Bryant WR Oklahoma State 6/2 220 4.58 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
Jason Pierre-Paul DE South Florida 6/6 265 4.72 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
C.J. Spiller RB Clemson 5/11 195 4.37 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Rolando McClain ILB Alabama 6/4 256 4.68 74%  74%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 31

Bryant or McClain?!?!?! 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Bryant or McClain?!?!?!
Tough Decisions. I would put Brandon Graham up there but he doesnt meet the usual height requirment to get on the Bill Parcells ride.

1. St. Louis (1-15) Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska 6/4 302 5.02
2. Detroit (2-14) Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma 6/4 298 5.05
3. Tampa Bay (3-13) Eric Berry FS Tennessee 5/11 203 4.40
4. Washington (4-12) Russell Okung OT Oklahoma State 6/5 302 5.26
5. Kansas City (4-12) Bryan Bulaga OT Iowa 6/6 312 4.96
6. Seattle (5-11) Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma 6/4 223 4.79
7. Cleveland (5-11) Joe Haden CB Florida 5/11 190 4.42
8. Oakland (5-11) Anthony Davis OT Rutgers 6/6 325 5.28
9. Buffalo (6-10) Trent Williams OT Oklahoma 6/5 318 5.30
10. Jacksonville (7-9) Derrick Morgan DE Georgia Tech 6/4 272 4.76
11. Denver - from Chicago (7-9) Jimmy Clausen QB Notre Dame 6/2 223 4.76

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:08 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Bryant or McClain?!?!?!
If McClain is there, which I just can't see, it's not even a discussion. You take him.

If you're un-able to get Quan' via trade, I think Dez Bryant becomes your number 2 option.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

In my most humble opinion...Spiller would be a hugely stupid selection with McClain on the board....but maybe they'll draft his whole family in order to make amends for such an epic fail.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
If McClain is there, which I just can't see, it's not even a discussion. You take him.

If you're un-able to get Quan' via trade, I think Dez Bryant becomes your number 2 option.

Just don't use hyphens. It's a safer bet than what you're doing.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

LOL!

:)

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Spiller isnt Ginn. Spiller can catch and run between tackles

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:45 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:

There could be a run on Tackles

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ggippo wrote:

I know he's not Ginn, I'm just sayin' he isn't what Miami needs. Miami has 4 backs that are plenty good, but no ILB worth mentioning to put alongside Crowder, no NT, no number 1 receiver. You have 4 cooking pans, so you go out to get the ingredients for cookies, and end up buying another cooking pan.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:51 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I went with Bryant. How often do we get the chance to draft a receiver of this guy's abilities? McClain's going to be a beast in the middle, so, either way I am happy.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Iowafin wrote:
ggippo wrote:

I know he's not Ginn, I'm just sayin' he isn't what Miami needs. Miami has 4 backs that are plenty good, but no ILB worth mentioning to put alongside Crowder, no NT, no number 1 receiver. You have 4 cooking pans, so you go out to get the ingredients for cookies, and end up buying another cooking pan.

What happens when Ronnie hits Free Agency at thirty. Is Ricky coming back this year?

Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ggippo wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
ggippo wrote:

What happens when Ronnie hits Free Agency at thirty. Is Ricky coming back this year?

You can get another back elsewhere for much greater value than Spiller at 12. Plus, Hilliard is next in line...getting a RB in this year's draft isn't necessary when you have so many other needs.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:34 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

That a tough call... it depend wht miami does during free agents...let just say come March 5th free agent comes...Fins trade 3rd round for Boldin and sign LB Dansby .....now who would you want to draft if these 4 players( above) available? I personally would want miami draft JPP from USF...and I think Crowder will benifit for having Dansby next to him...or trade down few pick and get DT Williams from Vols....your thoughts?

Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:46 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

finfever33 wrote:
That a tough call... it depend wht miami does during free agents...let just say come March 5th free agent comes...Fins trade 3rd round for Boldin and sign LB Dansby .....now who would you want to draft if these 4 players( above) available? I personally would want miami draft JPP from USF...and I think Crowder will benifit for having Dansby next to him...or trade down few pick and get DT Williams from Vols....your thoughts?

I'd say if Miami signs Dansby, then draft McClain and trade away Crowder for a 3rd or 4th rounder. There's plenty of talent in those rounds for Miami to get, or they can use those chips to move up if they so desire...I wouldn't move up in this draft...it's pretty deep in most categories, but no top tier talent except for the guys in the top 5.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:51 pm

Iowafin wrote:
ggippo wrote:

You can get another back elsewhere for much greater value than Spiller at 12. Plus, Hilliard is next in line...getting a RB in this year's draft isn't necessary when you have so many other needs.

It's not only that. In today's game, RB's are so easy to find in the draft, that you wait for it to become a need and then you draft it. Recent history difinitevely tells us that you shouldn't worry about RB when you're still a year or 2 away from needing one.

Same goes with ILB for the most part. That said, we need to go with McClain if he's available.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:41 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

darn ggippo, I love both kids. Dez Bryant is a big, fast playmaker, a kid that could be just what the doctor order in regards to red zone and big play ability.

Rolando McClain certainly meets all the criteria of being the type of ILB that the regime likes at 6'4, 260 lbs. He smart, studies hard and has played under a guy in Saban that does a great job of preparing his players for the next level.

If Miami were to be able to sign Karlos Dansby, I would go with Dez Bryant and look to draft Micah Johnson, the big ILB from Kentucky in the 3-4th round. If the Phins were to pull off a trade for Anquan Boldin, then I go with Rolando.

If neither happens, I think Parcells surprises everybody and goes with Dez Bryant.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:57 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

ggippo, if the Broncos trade Brandon Marshall, and I think they will, you can look for them to probably take Dez Bryant.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Damn ggippo, I love both kids. Dez Bryant is a big, fast playmaker, a kid that could be just what the doctor order in regards to red zone and big play ability.

Rolando McClain certainly meets all the criteria of being the type of ILB that the regime likes at 6'4, 260 lbs. He smart, studies hard and has played under a guy in Saban that does a great job of preparing his players for the next level.

If Miami were to be able to sign Karlos Dansby, I would go with Dez Bryant and look to draft Micah Johnson, the big ILB from Kentucky in the 3-4th round. If the Phins were to pull off a trade for Anquan Boldin, then I go with Rolando.

If neither happens, I think Parcells surprises everybody and goes with Dez Bryant.

My best friend tutored Micah during his first year of college here at UK.

I've taught a couple of high profile players from UK (Trevard Lindley being the most notable). Dude is nice and has great character, but not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I choose McClain. We need alot of help with the ILBs.

I think we have decent depth in the WR area even though we need that number 1.

Our ILB depth is just a nightmare

Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:20 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

As long as Micah is not an absolute airhead, I think he will be fine. You can't be a complete dummy to play the game, but you don't have to be a Rhodes Scholar like my boy Myron Rolle either.

The kid was very productive while at Kentucky and he's 6'2, 258 lbs.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:33 pm

I love Micah Johnson too, SC. The kid is a stud, and if he goes anywhere else in the SEC besides Kentucky, he's a 2nd round pick at worst. The injury(ies) are a concern, but not too big of one.

The only concern I have is that he arm tackles a little too much, and over-pursues at times. Nothing Coach Sparano and Mike Nolan can't kick out of his system.

1. Dez Bryant
2. Cam Thomas
3. George Selvie
4. Micah Johnson
:yay:

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
I love Micah Johnson too, SC. The kid is a stud, and if he goes anywhere else in the SEC besides Kentucky, he's a 2nd round pick at worst. The injury(ies) are a concern, but not too big of one.

The only concern I have is that he arm tackles a little too much, and over-pursues at times. Nothing Coach Sparano and Mike Nolan can't kick out of his system.

1. Dez Bryant
2. Cam Thomas
3. George Selvie
4. Micah Johnson

You're most likely reaching if you take Cam Thomas in the 2nd.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:37 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
ggippo wrote:

It's not only that. In today's game, RB's are so easy to find in the draft, that you wait for it to become a need and then you draft it. Recent history difinitevely tells us that you shouldn't worry about RB when you're still a year or 2 away from needing one.

Same goes with ILB for the most part. That said, we need to go with McClain if he's available.

In todays game its easy to find any player from any position if you just have a crystal ball right? A great player is a great player no matter the position and no matter the spot drafted.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:42 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

phinsfansc wrote:
Damn ggippo, I love both kids. Dez Bryant is a big, fast playmaker, a kid that could be just what the doctor order in regards to red zone and big play ability.

I agree I like Micah too and McClain probably wont be there at 12

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ggippo wrote:
In todays game its easy to find any player from any position if you just have a crystal ball right? A great player is a great player no matter the position and no matter the spot drafted.

Clearly you have high hopes for Spiller. It makes no sense to draft him. This isn't a team that can take BPA.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Either we get Brandon Marshall, or we draft Dez Bryant. Anything short of that is a big fat failure...

Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:18 pm

ggippo wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Well yes. But my point is that RB's perennially come into the NFL and are very good from day 1. In today's game, there's no need to draft a RB to develope for a year. Once it's a need, take one, and you're set again.

Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:02 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Not so sure about Denver taking Clausen at 11...

Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:19 am

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

1. Dez Bryant
2. Cam Thomas
3. George Selvie
4. Micah Johnson

You're most likely reaching if you take Cam Thomas in the 2nd.

I doubt he'll get to the third, and that's if we even have a 3rd round pick....With so many teams switching to the 34 D, there aren't enough NT's to go around for everybody, so to speak. You have a chance to get one if you're Buffalo, or Denver, or KC.....you jump on the opportunity. That said, I wouldn't be shocked if he's gone by rd. 2.

Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:26 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

phinsfansc wrote:

I would personally love for us to get McClain and Johnson later in the draft. I LOVE the way Micah Johnson plays the game. With his injury. He could be had in the 4th or 5th. Micah Johnson is an absolute beast. Bam. ILB goes from weakness to strength. Get ourselves a NT like Mount Cody. (I am not happy about his weight.. lets be clear. But, I can't imagine how good he would be if he shed 30 lbs of fat and put it back on in muscle over the course of 2 years) Bam. Instantly our D is a heck of a lot better. Cody is consuming O-linemen. McClain and Johnson are flying all over the place smacking the crap out of people. Then they can spend the rest of the draft on TE, versatile O-line guy. OLB and maybe even a RB.

Thats not out of the realm of possibilities. Drafting McClain, Cody and Johnson. Mmmm.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:16 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
ggippo wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Well yes. But my point is that RB's perennially come into the NFL and are very good from day 1. In today's game, there's no need to draft a RB to develope for a year. Once it's a need, take one, and you're set again.

Im not promoting Spiller as the pick but he is a player that is so good that he does warrant consideration. Develop for a year? He would get plenty of PT especially if Ricky doesnt come back. Teams don't just use one RB in "todays" nfl.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:24 pm

Ricky is coming back. Ronnie and Ricky is the best tandem in the NFL, and Cobbs one of the better 3rd RB's, if not the best in the league.

Where does he get playing time? As a return man and at WR? Sorry, I'm not spending another top 15 pick on a guy to do just those two things, and the second one not very well...

CJ Spiller's come out every year. Whether they are has hyped as Spiller is, or as Chris Johnson was, or as Reggie Bush was, or as DeAngelo Williams was....they come out every year. Every single one.

Sorry, but getting to the point, IMO, drafting Spiller would be a complete waste of a pick, and a dumb one.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:46 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Where does he get playing time? As a return man and at WR? Sorry, I'm not spending another top 15 pick on a guy to do just those two things, and the second one not very well...
Sorry, but getting to the point, IMO, drafting Spiller would be a complete waste of a pick, and a dumb one.

Exactly. :yay:

Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:45 pm
Phinfever FFL Commish
Phinfever FFL Commish

Marino had the Marks Brothers. I know the importance of a strong defense, but I say get Bryant. Brant, Bess, Hartline and Henne can develop together.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:51 pm

Rolando McClains come out almost every year.

How often to you get a chance to grab a Dez Bryant?? Not that I think either will be there at 12, but you know, maybe Dez wouldn't be such a bad choice with McClain on the board?

Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:53 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

How often to you get a chance to grab a Dez Bryant??

?
What's a Dez Bryant? Year after year, receivers picked in the 1st round fail miserably in the NFL. What's so great about Dez Bryant? Compare him all you want with other receivers in the league, but picking receivers is so much of a guessing game. How hard is it to spot a good inside linebacker? What about a great one?

Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:01 pm

Most of the bust receivers have had some knocks on them coming out. When a Michael Crabtree, or a Calvin Johnson come out, as long as they're decent character guys, you know they'll probably work out.

The majority of busts have either been due to a facsination with just one part of a guy's game, (Ginn, Williamson, Heyward-Bey, just off the top of my head), or to do with bad character, (Mike Williams).

Dez, while cocky, and I do have some issues with his maturity level, he does seem to be a good character guy, and if we determine he is, the talent is undeniable. I'm not saying he's a sure-bet, and you're right, McClain is more of one then any WR could be, but I'm pretty confident he's going to be a big time player.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
As long as Micah is not an absolute airhead, I think he will be fine. You can't be a complete dummy to play the game, but you don't have to be a Rhodes Scholar like my boy Myron Rolle either.

The kid was very productive while at Kentucky and he's 6'2, 258 lbs.

Micah's a pretty smart dude. As you said, no Rhodes Scholar, but then again most people aren't.

Lindley is who I was talking about. Loved the kid when I taught him. Worked hard and was eager to please, but sometimes just didn't have it.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:49 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

How often to you get a chance to grab a Dez Bryant??

?
What's a Dez Bryant? Year after year, receivers picked in the 1st round fail miserably in the NFL. What's so great about Dez Bryant? Compare him all you want with other receivers in the league, but picking receivers is so much of a guessing game. How hard is it to spot a good inside linebacker? What about a great one?

Im glad you two are of the opinion its a dumb pick but that doesnt mean Spiller shouldnt be an option as one of the best players on the board. Ronnie could be up for a trade for all we know.

You can find good players and busts up and down the entire draft from every position

Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:47 pm

I didn't say he was going to be a bust. Even if he pans out, it's still the wrong way to go, IMO. We can get a CJ Spiller next year, and maybe for cheaper.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:37 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phins Rock wrote:

How often to you get a chance to grab a Dez Bryant?? Not that I think either will be there at 12, but you know, maybe Dez wouldn't be such a bad choice with McClain on the board?

Umm, what?
Dude?!? Dez Bryant's come out almost every single year. Go back and look at every single draft for the past 5 years. There is a Dez Bryant like player 4 of the 5. He is nothing special. He can't hold Calvin Johnson's jock strap.

Rolando McClain on the other hand is a SPECIAL talent. He's not just the best linebacker in College football. But, he is the cream of the crop of all the linebackers in one of the strongest Draft classes I've EVER seen. Guys like him do not come about every year.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next