All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:19 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Barring any major injuries or shakeups in the roster here is my final mock draft. I've included two scenarios just in case the Dolphins manage to trade back like they did last season. Two areas that I'm obviously going strong and doubling up on picks is quarterback and runningback. The reason being is I think we stand to loose two quarterbacks and two runningbacks this offseason. I see Mallett stepping in as our quarterback of the future if Henne can't pull it together and Enderle becomes our long term project replacing Thigpen. At runningback scenario one I anticipate the Dolphins keeping Ronnie Brown around and adding a change of pace back in fellow Auburn alum Mario Fannin. Brown would be the between the tackles back and Fannin would come in on passing downs and use his speed and hands to create mismatches. In scenario two we replace Ronnie Brown with Mikel Leshoure. Leshoure would be the smash and Fannin would be the dash. D.J. Williams to me is someone who can play tightend in two tightend sets and replace Lousaka Polite on passing downs as our fullback. He's another guy that can come out of the backfield and become a receiving threat. Moffitt is just a big physical run blocker that we can develop as an interior lineman. Denarius Moore is a speedy receiver with good size that can push Brian Hartline for the #2 receiver spot. Maxwell is a hard hitting cornerback that projects well as a free safety at the next level. And thats all I've got for now, enjoy and let me know what you guys think.

Scenario #1
1st - Ryan Mallett - QB
3rd - D.J. Williams - TE/FB
4th - John Moffitt - OG
5th - Denarius Moore - WR
6th - Byron Maxwell - CB/FS
7th - Nathan Enderle - QB
7th - Mario Fannin - RB

Scenario #2
-Trade Back
1st - Mikel Leshoure - RB
2nd - Christian Ponder - QB
3rd - D.J. Williams - TE/FB
4th - John Moffitt - OG
5th - Denarius Moore - WR
6th - Byron Maxwell - CB/FS
7th - Nathan Enderle - QB
7th - Mario Fannin - RB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:47 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

I just don't see Mallet going in Rd. 1. Drafting him at No. 15 would be a force pick.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:02 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I agree, I think Mallett could be had in the picks 25-35 range. Trading back and grabbing him there I would be ok with. Also, I think Jacquizz Rodgers in the 3rd round

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:15 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If John Moffitt slips to the 4th, I'll praise to the heavens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:06 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
I just don't see Mallet going in Rd. 1. Drafting him at No. 15 would be a force pick.

I think we can trade down a half dozen spots and get him or Jake Locker. I would be happy with either ... or just pick them up at #15.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:31 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I agree with you guys, if Mallett could be had for a mid to late 20s pick then by all means we should attempt to trade back and draft him there. Getting back our 2nd round pick would be great considering we have so many offensive needs. However, I think Mallett's draft stock is very misunderstood. His size, arm strength, and passing ability cannot be matched by anyone in this years draft in my opinion. Some team will fall in love with his skill set and draft him in the 1st round, where in the 1st I'm not too sure but I'd be almost willing to bet he gets drafted ahead of Locker and maybe even ahead of Newton. The reason I picked Mallett in the 1st is simple, to raise the level of competition at quarterback. Bringin in a top tier prospect like Mallett will light a fire under Henne and raise the level of competition at the position. Bottom line, unless Henne plays outstanding he'll loose his job. The way Henne played last year his job should not be safe, bringin in a 1st round quarterback is a good way to remind him of that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:39 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I don't think that MIAMI will draft a QB in the first 4 rounds. They MIGHT draft a "project" late, or maybe no QB at all. They'll trade down to get a 2nd Round Pick and draft a "burner" WR in the 1st after trading down. The 2nd will be a HB, as will the 4th, and one of them will be a "scatback". The 3rd will be a pass-catching TE. After that, a "project QB" and "flyers" at whatever positions they like someone.

In F/A, there's a few solid Gs out there, and I think that MIAMI should sign two of them, maybe one of the many solid F/A HBs, and a veteran QB not named McNABB or PALMER. Beyond that, nothing, other than rookie undrafted F/As.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:02 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

LUDUPORCU wrote:
I don't think that MIAMI will draft a QB in the first 4 rounds. They MIGHT draft a "project" late, or maybe no QB at all. They'll trade down to get a 2nd Round Pick and draft a "burner" WR in the 1st after trading down. The 2nd will be a HB, as will the 4th, and one of them will be a "scatback". The 3rd will be a pass-catching TE. After that, a "project QB" and "flyers" at whatever positions they like someone.

In F/A, there's a few solid Gs out there, and I think that MIAMI should sign two of them, maybe one of the many solid F/A HBs, and a veteran QB not named McNABB or PALMER. Beyond that, nothing, other than rookie undrafted F/As.

I agree that taking a quarterback late is a definite possibility. Nathan Enderle from Vanderbuilt is a guy who has been linked to the Dolphins. He possesses the size, arm strength, and toughness that our coaches like. But where I differ from you is I think we will go quarterback early. The Dolphins have in recent years doubled up on positions when it is an area of need. Quarterback, runningback, and offensive line are our areas of need. I would not be surprised to see Miami take two of each.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:55 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Dphins4me wrote:

They said that about Aaron Rodgers.....He should have been the 1st pick

If you think a qb is going to pan out you pick him when you can

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:09 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

kev1321 wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

No he shouldn't have.

Aaron Rodgers is good, no doubt...but sitting behind a legend for 3 years and coming in with a receiving corps like he's got a great defense has helped turned him into what he is.

If he had gone 1st overall to the 49ers, he'd be right where Alex Smith is today.

Rodgers was pretty raw coming out of California, and needed to shake that Tedford system crap to work into the west coat/spread.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:37 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Too many teams ahead of us need a QB. I see a run on QB's in the first round. Talk about Mallett being available late in the second round is just BS put out by other organizations hoping to have him fall to their pick late in the first round. Cam Newton is the guy who I think will slip farther in this draft than anyone is expecting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:59 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Too many teams ahead of us need a QB. I see a run on QB's in the first round. Talk about Mallett being available late in the second round is just BS put out by other organizations hoping to have him fall to their pick late in the first round. Cam Newton is the guy who I think will slip farther in this draft than anyone is expecting.

I agree, Mallett's negative hype right now is all media based. There is very little if no facts to back it up. As for our situation, Miami needs a quarterback. We can't continue to wait to see if Henne is that guy for another year or two. By all means let Henne compete and try to earn the starting job, but we still need to step up and make a big move. Ryan Mallett is that type of move. At 15 he's a great value in my opinion. I can't remember a quarterback in the past three years with his size, skill set, and numbers. This kid is going to be a very good player at the next level, I hope Miami is smart enough to pull the trigger on this guy if he's available.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:19 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Although I am a Gators fan... I'd actually really like to see us get that kid Ponder from FSU... something about him I really like. I only have "youtube videos" to go off of... but hey I've watched all of their Youtube videos and I like that kid Ponder a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:53 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

kev1321 wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

If you think a qb is going to pan out you pick him when you can

Maybe I remember this differently, but wasn't Rodgers predicted to go much higher and then fell to the Packers...????

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:08 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think if Miami wants a QB, they will have to take one in the 1st round. They can trade down later into the 1st round and still get Ryan Mallett or Christian Ponder, but you will not get neither kid midway thru the 2nd round.

Teams in the 1st round in the 1-12 that did not take a QB in the 1st round will look to take a QB early in the 2nd round or trade back into the later portion of the 1st round.

I will have my next mock out this coming Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:55 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
I think if Miami wants a QB, they will have to take one in the 1st round. They can trade down later into the 1st round and still get Ryan Mallett or Christian Ponder, but you will not get neither kid midway thru the 2nd round.

Teams in the 1st round in the 1-12 that did not take a QB in the 1st round will look to take a QB early in the 2nd round or trade back into the later portion of the 1st round.

I like the idea of taking Mallett in the 1st, he's my top quarterback prospect in this years draft. While I too have read that many think he'll fall due to character issues, I think that he'll be taken much higher than anticipated due to this being a year where many teams are searching for quarterbacks and the talent is top heavy this year. My opinion is that there is two or three true first round talents and that the rest are pretty big projects. Ponder is someone who I like as well, however, I think he's only worthy of a 2nd round pick. He's the kind of guy that could really accel if given the opportunity to sit for two or three years, learn the system, and then take over from a veteran. Unfortunately he won't have that opportunity in Miami. Whoever we draft must be ready to play in their rookie season because odds are that the fans/coaches will be riding Henne pretty hard this year. If he does anything less than shock and awe the fans will be calling for his head. My personal opinion is that only Mallett and Gabbert are ready to go year one. I'm just not sold on Ponder as a 1st round talent. If he's our best choice in round one then I say pass.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:18 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

I like the idea of taking Mallett in the 1st, he's my top quarterback prospect in this years draft. While I too have read that many think he'll fall due to character issues, I think that he'll be taken much higher than anticipated due to this being a year where many teams are searching for quarterbacks and the talent is top heavy this year. My opinion is that there is two or three true first round talents and that the rest are pretty big projects. Ponder is someone who I like as well, however, I think he's only worthy of a 2nd round pick. He's the kind of guy that could really accel if given the opportunity to sit for two or three years, learn the system, and then take over from a veteran. Unfortunately he won't have that opportunity in Miami. Whoever we draft must be ready to play in their rookie season because odds are that the fans/coaches will be riding Henne pretty hard this year. If he does anything less than shock and awe the fans will be calling for his head. My personal opinion is that only Mallett and Gabbert are ready to go year one. I'm just not sold on Ponder as a 1st round talent. If he's our best choice in round one then I say pass.

Ponder will not have to sit for that period of time, as he also played in a pro style system while at FSU. Christian is tremendously bright, having graduated in 2 1/2 years.

He tough, athletic & smart and reminds me a lot of Chad Pennington. Ryan Mallett has a special arm, and that is the one thing Ponder does not have. But as far a pocket prescence, awarness and foot work, Ponder is better. If Miami does want to be a more vertical team, than Mallett has an advantage.

I would be happy with either kid.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:47 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Ponder will not have to sit for that period of time, as he also played in a pro style system while at FSU. Christian is tremendously bright, having graduated in 2 1/2 years.

He tough, athletic & smart and reminds me a lot of Chad Pennington. Ryan Mallett has a special arm, and that is the one thing Ponder does not have. But as far a pocket prescence, awarness and foot work, Ponder is better. If Miami does want to be a more vertical team, than Mallett has an advantage.

I would be happy with either kid.

The Dolphins have openly expressed that they would like to be a more vertical team. Mallett has the skill set to fit that new attack. While Ponder is a good quarterback prospect, I don't have him pegged anywhere near the 1st round. I'm not saying he won't be drafted round one, I just don't think he's a good enough prospect to be taken by Miami in round one. We'd be reaching big time in my opinion if we took Ponder. I think his stock has gone way up as a result of the Senior Bowl. Let's not forget that this guy has been injury prone throughout his tenure at FSU, and despite him playing in a pro style offense, the offense was very vanilla. Ponder was also never very productive at FSU. His numbers just don't justify a first round pick in my opinion. He's nowhere close to Mallett's production.

Christian Ponder
2,044 yards / 20 touchdowns / 8 interceptions / 61.5% completion / 135.68 qb rating

Ryan Mallett
3,869 yards / 32 touchdowns / 12 interceptions / 64.7% completion / 163.65 qb rating

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]