Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:52 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dave Hyde wrote:
Here's how Dolphins could trade up for a QB*

By Dave Hyde April 8, 2011 07:12 AM

1. The asterisk in the headline, of course, is because no players can be traded until a labor deal is in place or the owners' lockout is struck down in court. And this team needs one of those to happen so to offer some draft-day flexibility.

The deepest position the team has is at defensive end, where the team has overspent in the last few years. Last year's top pick Jared Odrick and third-year player Phillip Merling (32nd pick) missed most of last year with injuries and weren't even missed.

Could one be bundled with the 15th overall pick to move up if, say, quarterback Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert is available?

As you look at what options the Dolphins would have if a trade-up situation presents itself, this is a viable idea.

As the collective-bargaining standoff continues, teams can trade draft picks but not involve any players in deals. That bites the Dolphins since they don't have a second-round pick. That means the defensive ends are really the only possible chips the Dolphins have to use in a trade.

And why wouldn't they trade one?

With Paul Soliai anchoring nose tackle, Kendall Langford and Randy Starks are nice starters at end. Free-agent Tony McDaniel could be back. Throw in either Odrick or Merling and you see there's good depth at defensive end, which in the 3-4 isn't the kind of impact position that it once was.

Cameron Wake is the pass rusher and hopefully a developing Koa Misi provide the first-level pass rush. Not defensive ends. That's why New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick has gone to defensive ends who are plugs more than impactful players, as noted in an earlier blog..

The Dolphins have overspent on defensive ends. They have obvious needs elsewhere. The chance to trade one in the draft can only happen with a bargaining agreement or if the judge strikes down the lockout. Hope for that, Dolphins fans.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... l+blogs%29

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:54 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Is it possible that the Dolphins and another team can agree on a player (say Phillip Merling, etc), then make a trade with the Dolphins on a draft pick plus "a player to be named later"? Once the NFL reaches an agreement then the Dolphins can officially trade Merling (or whomever) to that team.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:00 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Is it possible that the Dolphins and another team can agree on a player (say Phillip Merling, etc), then make a trade with the Dolphins on a draft pick plus "a player to be named later"? Once the NFL reaches an agreement then the Dolphins can officially trade Merling (or whomever) to that team.

Kind of like the Jets did with Sanchez a few years ago...

Not sure why Omar mentions Phil Merling so much? Merling has zero trade value right now....

I'm a Gabbert fan. Been keeping an eye on him since he was Chase Daniels backup. He's going to be a good QB. Not great, but good. That said I would rather stay at 15 and get Ponder (not that we have the ammo to get up high enough to get Blaine anyway).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:37 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I say keep Merling and Odrick, then draft Mallett in the 1st round. He's better than Newton and Gabbert in my opinion. Don't let Newton's numbers fool you. His passing numbers are greatly magnified by the fact that defenses could not handle his presence as a runner. Newton has no experience running a pro style offense, and only one year of running his Auburn hybrid. I'd peg Newton somewhere in the same neighborhood as Tim Tebow but with better athleticism. That success as a runner will not carry over to the NFL level. NFL defenses will force Newton to become a more complete passer. I'm not saying he can't do it, but Newton will likely be drafted higher than we can trade up to and I think he's too big a project to undertake. We're better off not trading up for Newton and just taking Mallett if he falls to us at 15. Just look at the numbers, Mallett is equal if not better than both of the other guys. Where Mallett surpasses them in my opinion is his experience in a pro style offense and his size/arm strength.

Blaine Gabbert
3,186 yards / 16 touchdowns / 9 interceptions / 63.4% completion / 127.03 qb rating

Cam Newton
2,854 yards / 30 touchdowns / 7 interceptions / 66.1% completion / 182.05 qb rating

Ryan Mallett
3,869 yards / 32 touchdowns / 12 interceptions / 64.7% completion / 163.65 qb rating

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:02 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Dear Mr Hyde, in what universe do you move up into the top 10 of the draft with the 15th overall pick and the equivalent of A. the 6th-7th round pick/value you get for Merling, or B. the 3rd-4th round pick/value you get for Odrick.

Honestly, both guys have college injury histories and have now been injured in the NFL. Who is going to get excited about either and give up a top 10 pick?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:21 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Dear Mr Hyde, in what universe do you move up into the top 10 of the draft with the 15th overall pick and the equivalent of A. the 6th-7th round pick/value you get for Merling, or B. the 3rd-4th round pick/value you get for Odrick.

Honestly, both guys have college injury histories and have now been injured in the NFL. Who is going to get excited about either and give up a top 10 pick?

You stole the words out of my mouth. This 'scenario' honestly sounds like the ramblings of an 8 yr old trying to work out a 'Madden Trade' (honestly I don't even think you could do this on Madden; its that unrealistic).

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]