Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:20 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Barry Jackson wrote:
The Dolphins are zeroing in on several mid-to-late-round speed receivers. SMU’s Aldrick Robinson, who averaged 20 yards a catch on 60 receptions in 2010, is one of a limited number of players who have worked out privately on campus for Miami and was invited to team headquarters. Miami also has had private sessions with Tennessee’s Danarius Moore and Abilene Christian’s Edmund Gates

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/06/2 ... -with.html

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:53 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Barry Jackson wrote:
The Dolphins are zeroing in on several mid-to-late-round speed receivers. SMU’s Aldrick Robinson, who averaged 20 yards a catch on 60 receptions in 2010, is one of a limited number of players who have worked out privately on campus for Miami and was invited to team headquarters. Miami also has had private sessions with Tennessee’s Danarius Moore and Abilene Christian’s Edmund Gates

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/06/2 ... -with.html

Gates and Moore are 2 kids I like a lot. Moore had very good production at Tennessee considering the constant flux at QB for the Vols, and Gates was very productive at Abilene Christian.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:14 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The Dolphins have shown tons of interest in Gates.

I read somewhere that said Gates' agent had said Gates had a "really good feeling" after his workout with the Dolphins. Miami has not only had a private workout with him but they visited him to have him field punts.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:48 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

I read somewhere that said Gates' agent had said Gates had a "really good feeling" after his workout with the Dolphins. Miami has not only had a private workout with him but they visited him to have him field punts.

Source

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:30 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Source

Sorry.

That was Aldrick Robinson that I was thinking of. "a big smile broke on his face when he mentioned Miami and said that the Dolphins were heading up to work him out specifically to see him field punts."

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... _play.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:54 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Here we go again...trying to find starters at skill positions in late rounds..... :hithead:

Not saying it can't be done (Bess and Hartline), but you aren't going to find a lot of guys like Moss, Rice or Irvin in those late rounds. Best of luck to the team though. I will not be surprised to see us going OL or DL in the 1st round again...and then finishing with a losing record....again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:57 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Here we go again...trying to find starters at skill positions in late rounds..... :hithead:

Not saying it can't be done (Bess and Hartline), but you aren't going to find a lot of guys like Moss, Rice or Irvin in those late rounds. Best of luck to the team though. I will not be surprised to see us going OL or DL in the 1st round again...and then finishing with a losing record....again.

I don't think we're trying to find a replacement for Hartline. We're trying to find a 20 snap guy who can come in and stretch the field vertically, run reverses, drags and get some YAC, and maybe some return ability.

Emanuel Sanders had a nice impact for Pittsburgh last season, and Mike Wallace the year before that. I think that's what we're looking for.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:03 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think you are right...but I would hope for more than 20 snaps out of a 3rd round pick....and that is where Kiper has us taking Gates.

But heck, it might work out!! I was pleasantly surprised by Hartline, a 4th round pick....if only our QB could find him and hit him in stride when he is open.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:06 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
I think you are right...but I would hope for more than 20 snaps out of a 3rd round pick....and that is where Kiper has us taking Gates.

But heck, it might work out!! I was pleasantly surprised by Hartline, a 4th round pick....if only our QB could find him and hit him in stride when he is open.

I think that 3rd round pick is going to be DJ Williams.

I think Miami is looking more towards the 4th and 5th round.

But if it is going to be that 3rd round pick, 20 snaps a game wouldn't be enough for a #4 WR? That's about the amount of playing time Hartline got for most of his rookie season.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:06 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Gates has the potential to be a big asset to the Dolphins, as he certainly has that speed that Miami wants to take the top off a defense and he has been very productive while in college. He has more pure speed than Torrey Smith and is just as polished.

He would be a great pick in the 3rd round.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:56 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Source

Sorry.

That was Aldrick Robinson that I was thinking of. "a big smile broke on his face when he mentioned Miami and said that the Dolphins were heading up to work him out specifically to see him field punts."

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... _play.html

Hm...I wonder how he did.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:57 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
I don't think we're trying to find a replacement for Hartline. We're trying to find a 20 snap guy who can come in and stretch the field vertically, run reverses, drags and get some YAC, and maybe some return ability.

Emanuel Sanders had a nice impact for Pittsburgh last season, and Mike Wallace the year before that. I think that's what we're looking for.

I'd take either one of those guys in a heartbeat. That's been a huge missing link for Miami for quite some time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:21 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yeah...20 snaps a game would be great....I hope it doesn't end up more like 20 snaps in the season.....my bad, I was thinking more of actual touches....so with 20 touches, it seemed more like a season stat and certainly not a game stat for a rookie WR.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:24 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I have Moore on my latest mock draft. I've got him going to us in the 5th I think. I'm not too sure if his stock has gone up lately but all the information I had pegged him as a 5th round prospect. He's got great hands, excellent speed, and good size for the position. Could work out well as a #4 receiver/kick returner.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]