Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:42 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Tony Simmons wrote:
New Mock Draft
Written by Tony Simmons
Sunday, 10 April 2011

A lot of things continue to change with how scenarios are developing with the draft, as team continue to posture and spread rumors and put false information out there to be consumed. There is still hope that you could have some FA before the draft, but I think the chances are slim.

With that said, let's get it going with my 2nd mock draft.

1) Carolina - Cam Newton, QB, Auburn - GM Marty Hurney is apparently the only one on Jimmy Clausen side, and that is probably because he drafted the young man. Clausen really struggled last year and with a new coaching staff in place, QB looks like the position they will address with the 1st pick and Newton seems to be their guy at this moment.

2) Denver - Marcel Dareus, DT, Alabama - Denver begins the John Elway/John Fox era, and they address a defense last in the league in 2010 and switching from a 3-4 to 4-3 defense.

3) Buffalo - Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri - Buffalo could go in a number of directions, as the need to address there OL and the defense was horrible in 2010. Blaine Gabbert will have the luxury of sitting behind Ryan Fitzpatrick for a year as he learns to make the conversion from a spread QB to an NFL, pro style QB.

4) Cincinnati - A.J Green, WR, Georgia - Carson Palmer has said he will retire if he is not traded, and he has already sold his house in Cincinnati. IF one of the quarterbacks above drops, they could get very serious consideration. As it is, Terrell Owens will not be back and there is a good chance Chad Ochocinco will be gone as well.

5) Arizona - Von Miller, OLB, Texas A & M - At some point, it looks like Arizona will look to bring in a veteran QB, as they have both John Shelton and Max Hall on the roster. That being said, Ken Whisenhunt did show a lot of interest in both Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert. Miller addressess a huge need as Joey Porter is in decline.

6) Cleveland - Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina - The Browns are also making the move from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3 defense. I had Da'Quan Bowers pegged here, but his Pro Day only caused more concerns about his knee and Quinn had a outsanding Pro Day.

7) San Francisco - Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU - Possibly the best player in the draft, Peterson comes in and replaces aging, high dollar Nate Clements and adds to an already solid young defense.

8) Tennessee - Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn - The Titans have to answer the quarterback question now that Vince Young has flamed out in Nashville and Kerry Collins is running on fumes. Also, the normally stout Titans defense collapsed down the stretch. The Titans now have Tracy Rocker, Auburn's former DL coach as the new DL coach in Tennessee and they bring in the explosive Fairley to join him.

9) Dallas - Tyron Smith, OLT, Southern Cal - The Cowboys have never used a 1st round pick on an OL in the Jerry Jones regime. I think they should go that way this time around as their OL is getting old and really struggled in 2010. It finally looks like the Cowboys will go this route, although J.J Watt could be a consideration as well as a CB.

10) Washington - Julio Jones, WR, Alabama - The Redskins need a lot and wide receiver is one of those positions. Jones gives them that big playmaker at WR they lack right now.

11) Houston - Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri - The Texans defense is terrible and now with Wade Phillips coming in to run the defense, they are now switching to a 3-4 scheme. I have seen Robert Quinn mocked here, but Quinn is coming off a year away from football and there are still medical concerns steming from the brain tumor that almost ended his career coming out of high school. Smith has a very high upside and possibly has the movement skill set to make the move to OLB.

12) Minnesota - Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson - Minnesota has a rather large hole at QB now that it finally looks like Brett Farve is now finally retiring and Tavaris Jackson will not be bought back. Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett would be a reach at this point in the draft. The Vikings are losing Ray Edwards at DE and Bowers drops to them and helps them fill a need.

13) Detroit - Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska - The Lions add to their defense with a top flight cornerback in Amukamara. They could ver easily add an offensive lineman, as they need to provide more protection for their young franchise QB, Matthew Stafford.

14) St. Louis - Cameron Jordan, DE, California - The Rams would be very happy if Julio Jones drops to them at this point in the draft. If not, then they add more talent to a defense that still needs talent.

15) Miami - Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkanasas - It looks like Miami is very serious about adding a QB in the draft. Mallett has already worked out for Miami with D.J Williams and will have another session with Miami. From a talent standpoint, he has 1st round ability, but has off the field issues that have dogged him through out the process. He has done a terrific job in interview with teams and answered all of their questions about his issues off the field. Christian Ponder is a prime consideration as well, and it would not surprise me if he is the pick. I am going with Mallett because the Dolphins want to be more of a vertical passing team, and that is not a strength of Ponder. If the Dolphins want a prime young QB, they will need to take on at 15th or if they are able to trade down in the 1st round, which would make taking Mallett a better value. Teams at 1-12 in the 1st round that don't take a QB will be looking to take on early in the 2nd round, and the top quarterbacks will likely be gone before the half way point in the 2nd round. I still believe Chad Henne will be Miami starting QB, as draft picks will be well behind with the CBA not in place and not knowing when you will be able to work with your draft picks or get them a play book. Still, Henne struggled tremendously last year, some of his doing and some due to a dreadfull job of game planning and play calling. Competition is a good thing, and Henne needs to step up. Who ever is the starting QB for Miami, the losing QB could provide depth and a valuable trading chip down the line.

16) Jacksonville - Ryan Kernigan, DE, Purdue - The Jaguars continue to rebuild there defensive line and add a player that can provide them with a much needed pass rusher and a guy with a non stop motor.

17) New England - Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama - New England is in a position to take the best player available, and with Fred Taylor gone, Ingram fits the bill.

18) San Diego - J.J Watts, DE, Wisconsin - If Watts is here, the Chargers will run to get the card up to Roger Goodell.

19) New York Giants - Anthony Castonzo, OLT, Boston College - William Beatty has struggled at OLT and Castanzo can come in and compete immediately for the starting OLT position.

20) Tampa Bay - Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa - Tampa Bay continues to add talent to a DL in need of talent and add a pass rusher opposite Geral McCoy. Clayborn would have probably been top 10-15 pick on 2009. His play really dropped in 2010 and there are some character issues, but he is a talent and Tampa has shown that they will overlook some character issues, see WR Mike Williams, who turned out to be a very good player for the Bucs this year.

21) Kansas City - Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor - To have a premier 3-4 defense, you need that bell cow at NT. Taylor can possibly be that bell cow for the Chiefs.

22) Indianapolis - Nate Solder, OLT, Colorado - The Colts OL has been a sore spot for a while now, and they need to protect the franchise, Peyton Manning. Charlie Johnson, the Colts OLT is a free agent and nothing special.

23) Philadelphia - Gabe Carimi, OLT, Wisconsin - Philadelphia gave up 52 sacks last year with Michael Vick as the starter for most of the year.

24) New Orleans - Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia - Mike Mayock is not a fan of the young man, but he did have a very good season for the Bulldogs this past season and had a very good combine. If the Saints can make sure his motor runs hot all the time, they could have a big contributor at OLB.

25) Seattle - Michael Pouncey, OG/OC, Florida - Seattle could possibly add a CB to address their weak pass defense or add an interior OL like Pouncey.

26) Baltimore - Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland - The Ravens need a deep threat at wide receiver and Smith fits the profile.

27) Atlanta - Brooks Reed, DE, Arizona - The Falcons desperately need a pass rusher opposite John Abraham, as the Green Bay game showed.

28) New England - Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State - The Patriots continue to add young talent to a defensive unit that started to perform better later in the year, but still has to improve.

29) Chicago - Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois - With Tommy Harris gone, the Bears have a need at DT. The offensive line certainly could use help as well, and OG Danny Watkins of Baylor could be a consideration as well.

30) New York Jets - Akeem Ayers, DE/OLB, UCLA - NT could be a consideration as well, but Rex Ryan would like to generate pressure on the quarterback without using as many blitzes as he has had to use.

31) Pittsburgh - Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado- One big weaknesses of a very good Steelers defense is cornerback, and it was exposed in the Super Bowl against Green Bay. OL could also be addressed and the Steelers could look to add youth on there DL as well.

Green Bay - Muhammad Wilkerson, DE/DT, Temple - It looks like the Packers could lose Cullen Jenkins in free agency and Wilkerson could come in and help fill the void at the 5 technique in Dom Capers 3-4 defense.

Miami remaining picks
3) Edmond Gates, WR, Abilene Christian - Tremendous speed, take the top off the defense speed. Very productive with 158 career catches for 2,885 yards and 27 touchdowns. He averaged 18.3 yards per catch. Ran a 4.37 40 at the combine.

4) D.J Williams, TE, Arkansas - Miami wants a TE that can strecth the field and get down the seam of the defense. Williams can give Miami what David Martin gave them, a vertical threat. He also a high character guy.

5) John Moffitt, OG/OC, Wisconsin - Miami has had issues at OG and OC. Moffitt has played all 3 interior line positions and has the ability to pull and get to the 2nd level, something Miami wants in their OG.

6) Derrick Locke, RB, Kentucky - Locke can provide Miami a 3rd down back with explosive, game breaking speed. Good hands and good out of the backfield as a receiver, he also is a premier kickoff return guy. Rushed for 2,639 yards with 92 catches for 849 yards and 5 touchdowns during his career with the WIldcats. Ran a 4.42 40 at the combine.

7) Aldrick Robinson, WR/PR, SMU - Another vertical threat with great speed and highly productive in June Jones spread offense at SMU. The Dolphins worked him out recently and had him catch punts also. 181 catches for 3,314 yards, 30 touchdowns and a 18.3 yard per catch average.

7) Byron Maxwell, CB, Clemson - Another big DB from Clemson, and we know the Dolphins like big CB with speed. Similar to 5th round draft pick Nolan Carroll, as Maxwell comes in at 6'0 1/4, 202 lbs and ran a 4.46 40 at the combine.

7) Derrick Newton, ORT, Arkansas State - Miami has to be concerned with Vernon Carey and the status of his injured knee. Newton is raw, but he has very good athletic ability.

Miami has talked about adding speed to the roster, playmakers with speed. While Tony Sparano will have more input in the draft and personnel, this is Jeff Ireland's draft. My hope is that these guys can and will be on the same page in regards to talent aquisitions.

Also, I believe if Miami can get that coveted 2nd round pick back by trading down, I can see them taking a look at ORT Orlando Franklin of Miami or ORT Ben Ijalana of Villanova. Both are talented kids that can play at ORT or move to OG. As I mentioned earlier, Vernon Carey and the condition of his knee has to be a conern, especially with the large contract he has. RB Ryan Williams of Virginia Tech or DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard of Pittsburgh could also be a consideration, as they have worked both kids out.

I went with only 1 running back because there is interest in Carolina Panther FA RB DeAngelo Williams, and the interest is mutual. I think Miami will target Williams and you can combine him with possibly Ronnie Brown or go with Lex Hillard.

18 days until the draft and the suspense and excitment continue to build.

http://phinfever.com/newsite/index.php? ... 73&Itemid=

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:30 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I can't disagree with Mallett for the 1st pick, although I would only consider him if the Phins can trade down. If the Phins can't trade down, an o-linemen would make the most sense. Here's what I'm thinkin'...

1. (Trade down) Gabe Carimi, OT - He can play LT, RT and G.
2. Rahim Moore, FS - A ballhawk which the Phins D is desperately needing.
3. Kendall Hunter, RB - Great change of pace back.
4. Rob Housler, TE - He has the height, the speed and excellent catching ability.
5. Alex Green, RB - Good build for an RB, lots of burst.
6. Jake Kirkpatrick, C - Underrated Centre, very durable.
7. Tyrod Taylor, QB - Phins have shown lots of interest. Could grow into a WR.
7. Ricardo Lockette, WR - Track athlete who ran a 4.34 40.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:47 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

In my first mock I'll have the first 3 players you have on your mock Tony.

I think DJ and Moffitt are both round 2 or 3 picks. That said the scenario presented would have me beyond satisfied. Moffitt is a day 1 starter at LG and Williams and Gates can make immediate impacts. I'm not a Mallett fan, but Miami has shown more interest in him than any prospect I can remember since Chad Henne.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:34 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I love the entire Dolphin mock, Tony. I think the "expert" mockers are focusing too much on RB for us and the Dolphins plan to make that the priority position this year in free agency.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:29 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Thanks Dave. I think who ever the QB is for Miami, the Dolphins want to provide them with guys that can make plays, big plays.

I also think that if Miami get's that 2nd round pick back, it would not surprise me to see them go ORT, as there has to be some concerns about Vernon Carey. That why I gave the Dolphins a ORT late in the draft to develop.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:47 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Gosh I hope we pull the trigger on Mallett. It is a great point too that whoever does not come out the winner of the Henne-Mallett battle would provide valuable depth and trade value. And if one QB separates himself than we are all better for it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:35 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I certainly want Miami to draft a QB if they have a conviction on one. My concern with grabbing Mallet at 15 is that there are so many QB starved teams in top 12 (and some beyond who need upgrades) that if he was really franchise material wouldn't one of them pull the trigger?

Sure guys fall unexpectedly or turn out to be diamonds in the rough, but this is a different type of year when 4 of the top 5 teams, and 8 of the top 12 are doing serious research for a franchise QB. If teams like Minnesota or Tennessee, who really have NO ONE to turn to, opt to pass then I at least pause for concern.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:30 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
I certainly want Miami to draft a QB if they have a conviction on one. My concern with grabbing Mallet at 15 is that there are so many QB starved teams in top 12 (and some beyond who need upgrades) that if he was really franchise material wouldn't one of them pull the trigger?

Sure guys fall unexpectedly or turn out to be diamonds in the rough, but this is a different type of year when 4 of the top 5 teams, and 8 of the top 12 are doing serious research for a franchise QB. If teams like Minnesota or Tennessee, who really have NO ONE to turn to, opt to pass then I at least pause for concern.

I think right now, teams in the 1-12 range in the draft that don't take a QB think they can grab one at the top of the 2nd round. I can see teams trying to trade back late into the 1st round to get a QB.

At this moment, Miami does not have a 2nd round pick, and if they do acquire one, it will be in the later part of the 2nd round with a team trading up from the later portion of the draft.

There WILL be QB's pushed up in this draft a round or some slots earlier due to the lack of a CBA and FA. Teams that would have traded for Kevin Kolb can't at this moment as well as possibly trade for a Donavan McNabb or a Kyle Orton.

Miami seems to be serious about taking a QB. If they are fortunate to get that 2nd round pick back and try to get one at that point, they will likely miss out on the quality QB in this draft.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:37 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Nice mock Tony, I would be stoked if it happened.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:14 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Mallett vs Henne is the quarterback battle I hope to see this season. Although Henne can still turn out I expect Mallett to take the starting job sometime either this season or next. Reason being is Ryan Mallett is the best pocket passing prospect in this draft in my opinion. He's a true 1st round quarterback prospect. He's big, tough, accurate, and productive. He's a much better prospect than Henne was in my opinion. In fact, he's much more comparable to Matt Ryan than he is to Chad Henne in terms of senior year production. Mallett might just be the Dolphins chance to get that 1st round talent we passed up when we took Jake Long 1st overall. The numbers don't lie, Mallett is a very talented prospect.

Chad Henne - Michigan
1,938 yards / 17 touchdowns / 9 interceptions / 58.3% completion / 130.54 qb rating

Matt Ryan
4,507 yards / 31 touchdowns / 19 interceptions / 59.3% completion / 127.04 qb rating

Ryan Mallett - Arkansas
3,869 yards / 32 touchdowns, 12 interceptions / 64.7% completion / 163.65 qb rating

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:16 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
Nice mock Tony, I would be stoked if it happened.

Thanks Mak...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:33 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Miami had better not waste a top 15 pick on a Qb with Mallets questions & ignorance. From what I've read he is also not a film room type of player & in the NFL if the QB does not do film, then he is useless.

If Miami can trade down & get a 3rd, then they should do it. Nothing of value can be found at 15 that cannot be found at the bottom of Rd. 1.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:06 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

phinsfansc wrote:
I think right now, teams in the 1-12 range in the draft that don't take a QB think they can grab one at the top of the 2nd round. I can see teams trying to trade back late into the 1st round to get a QB.

At this moment, Miami does not have a 2nd round pick, and if they do acquire one, it will be in the later part of the 2nd round with a team trading up from the later portion of the draft.

There WILL be QB's pushed up in this draft a round or some slots earlier due to the lack of a CBA and FA. Teams that would have traded for Kevin Kolb can't at this moment as well as possibly trade for a Donavan McNabb or a Kyle Orton.

Miami seems to be serious about taking a QB. If they are fortunate to get that 2nd round pick back and try to get one at that point, they will likely miss out on the quality QB in this draft.

This works only if they feel Mallet is a franchise guy/top half of the 1st round type of pick. Reaching for a player backfired big time in the Pat White scenario (where they thought NE would take him), so hopefully they don't just reach for Mallet because he may be off the board by their 2nd pick. If they like another guy better in Round 1 then pull the trigger on that player instead.

Can't really debate too much because this is a mock draft and has the limitation of not including trades. If teams feel Mallet has 2nd round value I don't want Miami reaching. If he is legit I fear he is off the board before Miami picks. 15th pick is a tough spot for QB need with so many teams in demand.

But hey, guys fall and draft boards are much different than how we rationalize it. For all we know Newton or Gabbert could fall and Miami could be in love with both.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:20 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Miami had better not waste a top 15 pick on a Qb with Mallets questions & ignorance. From what I've read he is also not a film room type of player & in the NFL if the QB does not do film, then he is useless.

If Miami can trade down & get a 3rd, then they should do it. Nothing of value can be found at 15 that cannot be found at the bottom of Rd. 1.

I know you are not a fan of Mallett and I agree that there are many questions that have been raised. I also thought Universal Draft did a pretty good article on the young man.

Were are these so called questions of his being a dumb butt coming from. Not that I think the Wonderlic Score tells all in regards to intelligence, but he scored 26 on the test.

There is a lot of stuff thrown out there on this kid and I am just wondering were is the substance to this at.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:31 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

This works only if they feel Mallet is a franchise guy/top half of the 1st round type of pick. Reaching for a player backfired big time in the Pat White scenario (where they thought NE would take him), so hopefully they don't just reach for Mallet because he may be off the board by their 2nd pick. If they like another guy better in Round 1 then pull the trigger on that player instead.

Can't really debate too much because this is a mock draft and has the limitation of not including trades. If teams feel Mallet has 2nd round value I don't want Miami reaching. If he is legit I fear he is off the board before Miami picks. 15th pick is a tough spot for QB need with so many teams in demand.

But hey, guys fall and draft boards are much different than how we rationalize it. For all we know Newton or Gabbert could fall and Miami could be in love with both.

Dan, do we know if Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert are franchise QB? Sure, if Mallett does not turn out to be a franchise guy, then it is a tough pick to swallow, but hell, is that not the case with any 1st round pick that does not pan out?

There are so many things that are not normal about how this draft is shaping up, as we normally have free agency going on right now.

I certainly hope that Miami has an opportunity to trade down and get the pick back in the 2nd round, but since we don't know if that will happen, I am trying to put together something that I think may happen.

Either way, folks are going to be pissed. When I had Gabe Carimi at #15, some folks were happy and some posters said Sparano would be gone if that mock plays out. I still think Carimi could be in play, but if he is, tells us were Vernon Carey stands.

I will do a mock probably the week before the draft, so we will see how things are playing out at that point.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:52 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

phinsfansc wrote:
jammer wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Dan, do we know if Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert are franchise QB? Sure, if Mallett does not turn out to be a franchise guy, then it is a tough pick to swallow, but hell, is that not the case with any 1st round pick that does not pan out?

There are so many things that are not normal about how this draft is shaping up, as we normally have free agency going on right now.

I certainly hope that Miami has an opportunity to trade down and get the pick back in the 2nd round, but since we don't know if that will happen, I am trying to put together something that I think may happen.

Either way, folks are going to be pissed. When I had Gabe Carimi at #15, some folks were happy and some posters said Sparano would be gone if that mock plays out. I still think Carimi could be in play, but if he is, tells us were Vernon Carey stands.

I will do a mock probably the week before the draft, so we will see how things are playing out at that point.
At this point in previous years Roethlisberger and Flacco weren't considered first rounders either.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:41 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

phinsfansc wrote:

The one thing we do know is we know nothing. That was my point for your mock, you're so limited with what you can do based on not being able to factor in trades, making predictions very difficult. At least you're not just throwing Ingram in there for convenience, and by the way, I think you did a nice job. I just don't think Miami takes a QB early unless they trade back and one falls. If they are stuck at 15 I think they fortify the line or take an immediate weapon. At the same time, if Mallet can start immediately and is better than Henne, you take him.

I am no QB expert so I can't tell you who is best among Newton, Gabbert, Mallet, etc. I keep getting the impression this is not the strongest QB class.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:47 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

The one thing we do know is we know nothing. That was my point for your mock, you're so limited with what you can do based on not being able to factor in trades, making predictions very difficult. At least you're not just throwing Ingram in there for convenience, and by the way, I think you did a nice job. I just don't think Miami takes a QB early unless they trade back and one falls. If they are stuck at 15 I think they fortify the line or take an immediate weapon. At the same time, if Mallet can start immediately and is better than Henne, you take him.

I am no QB expert so I can't tell you who is best among Newton, Gabbert, Mallet, etc. I keep getting the impression this is not the strongest QB class.

With the circumstances we have right now, even a very smart kid like Christain Ponder would have a hard time coming in and starting with such a limited time frame to study a playbook and have a chance to work with teamates and get any type of timing.

This is not the strongest class of QB's, but it is a solid class.

And yes, it is certainly very hard to put together a mock draft with SO much uncertainty. Form no CBA to no free agency, this has been a difficult process.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:37 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

JP - You have to be a little more specific in your article about WR's and TE's in the mock. "I think Miami trades one of their 7th round picks" - the Phins cannot trade their compensatory 7th rounder, only their normal 7th rounder. Compensatory picks cannot be traded.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:40 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/13/2 ... store.html

Just to give a little more ammo to your mock Tony.

Anyone else getting the feeling this draft is growing eerily reminiscent of the 2007 QB crop. You had a slew of guys (Russell, Quinn, Stanton, Beck, Kolb, Edwards) getting almost over hyped for QB starved teams and drafted very early. Just starting to think that maybe one of these guys in 2011 turns out to be decent but in three or four years we'll wonder again what we were thinking.

I remember the Quinn craze, the Beck justifications from Kiper and Jaws, and my personal disappointment that Stanton wasn't the 2nd round pick. Again, what were I/we thinking.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:41 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/13/2164371/more-ryan-mallett-is-in-store.html

Just to give a little more ammo to your mock Tony.

Anyone else getting the feeling this draft is growing eerily reminiscent of the 2007 QB crop. You had a slew of guys (Russell, Quinn, Stanton, Beck, Kolb, Edwards) getting almost over hyped for QB starved teams and drafted very early. Just starting to think that maybe one of these guys in 2011 turns out to be decent but in three or four years we'll wonder again what we were thinking.

I remember the Quinn craze, the Beck justifications from Kiper and Jaws, and my personal disappointment that Stanton wasn't the 2nd round pick. Again, what were I/we thinking.

I saw that article last night Dan. Miami is certainly spending a lot of time with Ryan. Considering his talent and the baggage that he has, they have to be very, very meticulous with Mallett.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:58 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

They don't address the line it will fall into disrepair this season its hard to see them waiting till the fifth round.

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]