All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:53 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

There wasn't a player who disappointed me more in 2010 than Chad Henne. I expected Henne to take a huge step forward as a full-time starter with an entire offseason to prepare for that role, but he did not. In fact, he played terribly.

• Can Henne rebound for Dolphins?

I made the mistake of projecting Miami's offensive line to be the best line in all of football before the 2010 season. Because of weak interior play, that was far from the case. John Jerry struggled during his rookie season, and Nate Garner missed the season with a broken foot. That hurt the offense -- and Henne -- quite a bit. Henne doesn't handle interior pressure very well, and more importantly, he didn't have the consistent ground game to lean on, which was a strength of the team in previous seasons. The running back play was average at best. But even with all those mitigating factors, I cannot excuse Henne's performance.

Can Henne rebound in 2011? I think he can, but I am not betting the farm on it. Even when conditions were optimal, Henne left far too many plays on the field last season. But there was a reason I was high on Henne a year ago. He can really throw the ball, and he did show a lot of promise during 2009.

This year, I do expect the interior of the line to improve. There will be changes at running back, and Henne should be much more familiar with Brandon Marshall. The Dolphins might have the best set of offensive tackles in the league -- although health was a problem last year for Jake Long and Vernon Carey -- and they have a very solid two-way tight end in Anthony Fasano and an exceptional possession/slot wideout in Davone Bess. If Miami were to add any receiving help, it should be a home run threat (what Ted Ginn was envisioned to be). That would open up room for every other aspect of this offense and allow Henne to use his big arm downfield. Maybe Brian Hartline can step up into this role. I also expect Miami to have one of the elite defenses in football this season.

Year of the Quarterback
ESPN has dedicated 2011 to examining one of the most crucial positions in all of sports -- the quarterback.
Year of the QB »
Although I expect Henne to enter the season as Miami's starting quarterback, he will be pushed this year much more than last with competition and surely will have a shorter leash. There also have been questions concerning Henne's leadership skills and ability to rally his team. He didn't play with confidence last year, and that rubs off on the entire team. That won't do.

Henne needs to be more consistent and stop forcing throws. His ability to read and manipulate defenses was another big problem. If Miami does in fact have an elite defense next season, there will not be an excuse for the 25-year-old quarterback to turn the ball over (19 interceptions) as often as he did in 2010. Henne needs to reel in his aggression a bit and play within a defined system. It would shock me a great deal if Miami's running game didn't drastically improve, and that will be huge for this young man. This is an offense that too often abandoned the running game and put too much on the quarterback's shoulders. There will be a new coordinator for Henne to work with this year. Play-action should be a dangerous weapon in this offense, and the Dolphins will be operating from far fewer third-and-long situations, assuming that running game (minus the outdated Wildcat) picks up.

Henne is still very young. He has a lot of ability, and I expect his supporting cast to be stronger in 2011. But there is no way around it: Henne must play better football for the Dolphins to compete in the tough AFC East.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6354551

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:30 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead wrote:
There wasn't a player who disappointed me more in 2010 than Chad Henne.

I was disappointed in Berger and the entire offensive line.

What a crappy offense.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:49 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Can Henne rebound???

Maybe? This guy has been so inconsistent it's maddening. I've wanted so badly for this kid to have the light go on but it just doesn't seem to happen. Can it still happen, yes. Will it happen, maybe. Maybe doesn't cut it in the NFL, the Dolphins need to find more options in case maybe turns into no by middle of the season.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:10 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Can Henne rebound???

Maybe?

Yeah, kind of a dumb article.

Can the Dolphins win the Super Bowl?

Sure...will they? I don't know, I can't see the future.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:57 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

wkloiber13 wrote:
Can Henne rebound???

Maybe? This guy has been so inconsistent it's maddening. I've wanted so badly for this kid to have the light go on but it just doesn't seem to happen. Can it still happen, yes. Will it happen, maybe. Maybe doesn't cut it in the NFL, the Dolphins need to find more options in case maybe turns into no by middle of the season.

I think it was more the offensive coordinator and QB coach that was the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:02 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowa,

The article does focus on the disappointment of Henne and rightly so, but I agree that there were other factors such as the o-line, so I agree.

Burt can Henne rebound? Can he throw for 35 touchdowns against a low interception ratio? Maybe, but Henne could also throw 20 picks and play like garbage and be done as the Dolphins QB, so yeah this is a speculative article as most writers approach.

That is why the jury is still out on Henne as the offensive leader of this team and why there is "rumor" Miami will draft a QB possibly with their number one pick. IF they do that, Henne's days are probably numbered at some point.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:57 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TommyNoleFin wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
Can Henne rebound???

I think it was more the offensive coordinator and QB coach that was the problem.

You willing to go through another season where Henne struggles, we go 7-9, and we have nobody to turn to midway through the season??? Henne is a good prospect but time is running out. We can't afford to put all of our eggs in the Henne basket. We need other options at quarterback. We've got to raise the level of competition at quarterback. In my opinion that means one of two things. One, we bring in a veteran free agent and draft someone as a project. Two, we draft a quarterback early and another quarterback late. Either way we need a pair of new QBs to come in a push Henne for the starting job.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:59 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
Can Henne rebound???

Maybe?

Yeah, kind of a dumb article.

Can the Dolphins win the Super Bowl?

Sure...will they? I don't know, I can't see the future.

Yeah, when I saw this article I thought it might be worth a read. Turns out it's nothing but offseason fluff. Nothing new we haven't already heard a million times after the season ended.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:21 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

So let me get this straight... the offensive line was terrible and the offensive coaching staff was terrible... but it's still Henne's fault.

Got it.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]