View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 
 Cardinals expected to release Rolle 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Cardinals expected to release Rolle
The Cardinals are expected to release FS Antrel Rolle this week.

The sides have been negotiating a contract extension, but cutting Rolle will allow the Cards to avoid paying his impending $4 million roster bonus. It may also very well cost them their starting free safety. Rolle will become an unrestricted free agent and generate interest because of his play-making ability. The 27-year-old has 10 interceptions over the past three years. Feb. 21 - 8:46 pm et
Source: azcardinals.com

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLi ... &hl=167905

Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:01 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Cardinals expected to release Rolle
I would have to think Miami is at least going to explore this.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:02 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

i would hope so this would lock up our DB with him & bell back there should be good :yay:

Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:27 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Cut Wilson and give Rolle a contract close to Wilsons, we did make Wilson one of the highest paid FS in the league we can do the same for Rolle if we cut him

Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:51 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I don't know if Miami will pursue Rolle, but he has 10 interceptions the last 3 years and being he was a former CB, he has much better ball skills than Gibril.

Gibril Wilson turned out to be a big mistake. I would like to see what Tyrone Culver and Chris Clemons can do.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:50 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Why the hell not if he's interested right?

Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:03 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think they would have to explore it. This is the year to jettison bad contracts so now is the opportunity to get rid of Porter (given) and Wilson leaving some room to sign an FA or two. It would be awesome if they could grab both Dansby and Rolle, but the combo of both contract demands (or either for that matter) might be too high. At the very least it warrants consideration.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:23 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

jammer wrote:
I think they would have to explore it. This is the year to jettison bad contracts so now is the opportunity to get rid of Porter (given) and Wilson leaving some room to sign an FA or two. It would be awesome if they could grab both Dansby and Rolle, but the combo of both contract demands (or either for that matter) might be too high. At the very least it warrants consideration.

There is no cap this year, so they could literally go on a spending spree. There is no limit.

The only problem will be if there is a cap re-established in the future.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:37 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

There is no cap this year, so they could literally go on a spending spree. There is no limit.

The only problem will be if there is a cap re-established in the future.

I think we can assume there will be a cap again in the future so that is why I said they have to approach this with caution.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:43 am

jammer wrote:
I think we can assume there will be a cap again in the future so that is why I said they have to approach this with caution.

I don't think you can assume that at all.

If there is disagreement to continue keeping the current system in place, why should we assume there will be agreement later?

You may see a soft cap instituted in which teams that exceed the cap pay a luxury tax much like the NBA has now, or no cap at all. This is what the more influential owners in the NFL want.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:50 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

I don't think you can assume that at all.

If there is disagreement to continue keeping the current system in place, why should we assume there will be agreement later?

You may see a soft cap instituted in which teams that exceed the cap pay a luxury tax much like the NBA has now, or no cap at all. This is what the more influential owners in the NFL want.

Regardless of my assumption, I think it would be wise that Miami do its due dilligence before getting tied into big contracts with an uncertain future.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:25 am

Oh god I hope a hard cap comes back... it actually keeps all the teams relevant for the most part... I pay little attention to other sports for that very reason!

Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:17 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

how good is Rolle? I don't know much about him. The only Cards game I watched was vs. Green Bay in the Playoffs and he did not look that great. If he was that good why would the Cards be looking to cut him.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:14 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

IamPZ wrote:
Oh god I hope a hard cap comes back... it actually keeps all the teams relevant for the most part... I pay little attention to other sports for that very reason!

I think teams will stay relevent regardless as long as profit sharing stays in place

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:15 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

IamPZ wrote:

I agree. Usually the poor teams are on the bottom and the teams with money are on top.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I think this will answer your question MTFan.

Posted by Mike Florio on February 21, 2010 9:33 PM ET
NFL_rolle_250.jpgAs he enters the final year of his rookie deal, Cardinals safety Antrel Rolle is due to earn a base salary of $8.11 million.

Then there's a $4 million roster bonus due next week.

Based on 2009 wages, the Cardinals already employ the highest-paid safety in the NFL -- Adrian Wilson, who made $7.039 million last season.

So Rolle, who has said he's not taking a pay cut and who has coughed up $2.2 million in back taxes to the IRS, could be hitting the open market in the uncapped year. Darren Urban of the team's official web site predicts that Rolle will be released.

Rolle, who said last month that he'd like to play for the Dolphins, was the eighth overall pick in the 2005 draft, three selections before DeMarcus Ware.

Meanwhile, Rolle is the second top-ten pick of the Cardinals during the three-year Denny Green era to unlock high-end escalators that eventually forced the team into a corner. Two years ago, 2004 first-rounder Larry Fitzgerald parlayed a huge cap number into a four-year, $40 million deal. This time around, a good-but-not-great career from Rolle has put him in line for $12 million, an amount that's unheard of for a safety.

So Rolle undoubtedly won't be back in Arizona absent a major pay cut, and he'll ultimately make a lot less than $12.11 million this year, and likely in any future year of his career.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:40 pm

MTFan wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

I think teams will stay relevent regardless as long as profit sharing stays in place

Well there you go. The big dawgs like Dallas and Washington and the Giants are tired of revenue sharing.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:47 pm

Rich wrote:
MTFan wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Well there you go. The big dawgs like Dallas and Washington and the Giants are tired of revenue sharing.

I think the sport would really suffer if we ever got rid of the cap and revenue sharing. Right now baseball loses more and more fans who are sick of watching the same teams fight for the championship each year... what happens to football if the same thing goes on here?

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:53 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

He is a liability in coverage at times, (althoug not nearly what Gibril was), and is known to miss a tackle or two here and there...

But the guy is a playmaker. I say get him if the price is right.

Hell, let's become the Miami Cardinals! Rolle, Dansby, Quan....come on down!

Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:16 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Exactly PR! we could stack a pretty nice team thanks to Arizona

Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
Right now baseball loses more and more fans who are sick of watching the same teams fight for the championship each year... what happens to football if the same thing goes on here?

It's already started to happen. When was the last time Detroit made the playoffs? 1999? They're about as relevant as the Tigers are.
I think a lot of that has to do with these new divisions. An 8-8 team in a bad division can host a 12-4 team in the first round of the playoffs, then the following season the team that went 14-2 has already been predetermined to play the worst division in football. It use to be teams that had the best record would then be playing the toughest teams the following season, regardless of the division.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:53 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:

I think the sport would really suffer if we ever got rid of the cap and revenue sharing. Right now baseball loses more and more fans who are sick of watching the same teams fight for the championship each year... what happens to football if the same thing goes on here?

Actually there hasn't been a repeat champion in baseball since 2000. The Yankees had a stranglehold on baseball during the late 90s, but in the 00s it has been fairly even.
Still, I would rather have an even playing field salary-wise in sports.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:53 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Actually there hasn't been a repeat champion in baseball since 2000. The Yankees had a stranglehold on baseball during the late 90s, but in the 00s it has been fairly even.

Baseball has had a World Series for 107 years, and the Yankees have played in 40 of them. About 40% of the time the Yankees are going to be in the World Series.

Basketball has had 64 Finals and the Lakers have played in 30 of them. About 50% of the time, the Lakers will be in the Finals.

Football has had a Super Bowl 44 times, and Dallas has played in 8 of them. About 20% of the time the Cowboys will be in the Super Bowl.

Food for thought.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:30 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Iowafin wrote:
Phin wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Baseball has had a World Series for 107 years, and the Yankees have played in 40 of them. About 40% of the time the Yankees are going to be in the World Series.

Basketball has had 64 Finals and the Lakers have played in 30 of them. About 50% of the time, the Lakers will be in the Finals.

Football has had a Super Bowl 44 times, and Dallas has played in 8 of them. About 20% of the time the Cowboys will be in the Super Bowl.

Food for thought.

Good point Iowa.

(note: The Celtics and Lakers have combined for 50 Championship appearances with the Celtics winning 17 and the Lakers winning 16; so a combined 33 championships have been won by these two teams which is over 50%)

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:50 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Rolle > Wilson. Let's make some moves please.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:54 pm

tonelaxn13 wrote:

I'd be extremely disappointed if Wilson wasn't released.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:32 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Even with a Cap teams pay too much for players. The problem right now isnt the Cap its the mandatory FLOOR that comes with the Cap. Poorer teams want to slash payroll and they should be aloud to if they want.

Look at this draft this year, it gets deeper every year. An all star roster isnt an instant ticket to the SuperBowl it can still be challenged.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:22 pm

ggippo wrote:
Even with a Cap teams pay too much for players. The problem right now isnt the Cap its the mandatory FLOOR that comes with the Cap. Poorer teams want to slash payroll and they should be aloud to if they want.

Look at this draft this year, it gets deeper every year. An all star roster isnt an instant ticket to the SuperBowl it can still be challenged.

I think a minimum cap is a good thing. If not, you would have deadbeat owners who wouldn't want to try to make their teams competitive.

See MLB.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:25 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

IamPZ wrote:

Baseball is losing fans because they die faster than they can be born. Its lame. A 162? game season and 8 playoff teams. Give me a break.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:30 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
ggippo wrote:

I think a minimum cap is a good thing. If not, you would have deadbeat owners who wouldn't want to try to make their teams competitive.

See MLB.

I think it is too but it cant be both ways. If they get rid of revenue sharing than the floor has to go. Right?

One thing that does need to go is the ridiculous mandatory rookie salary for number one picks. It doesnt seem like a sustainable system.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:36 pm

ggippo wrote:
I think it is too but it cant be both ways. If they get rid of revenue sharing than the floor has to go. Right?

One thing that does need to go is the ridiculous mandatory rookie salary for number one picks. It doesnt seem like a sustainable system.

A rookie cap is a must man... I think maybe that and an 18 game schedule are holding up these contract talks.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:12 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Iowafin wrote:
IamPZ wrote:
Right now baseball loses more and more fans who are sick of watching the same teams fight for the championship each year... what happens to football if the same thing goes on here?

It's already started to happen. When was the last time Detroit made the playoffs? 1999? They're about as relevant as the Tigers are.
I think a lot of that has to do with these new divisions. An 8-8 team in a bad division can host a 12-4 team in the first round of the playoffs, then the following season the team that went 14-2 has already been predetermined to play the worst division in football. It use to be teams that had the best record would then be playing the toughest teams the following season, regardless of the division.

the tigers did make the world series a few short years ago

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:40 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Lets not forget the Marlins, who are almost always competitive with the leagues lowest salary, and even won 2 World Series (one against the yanks).

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

joeschmoe wrote:
Lets not forget the Marlins, who are almost always competitive with the leagues lowest salary, and even won 2 World Series (one against the yanks).

Let's make no mistake. The 03 was young and very good, but the first World Series, 97, was a bought team that could not be sustained and was sold off piece meal just days after the season ended. It was a mercenary team in many ways.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:55 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

tonelaxn13 wrote:

Has there been any thought to dumping Bell and his massive roster bonus and moving Wilson back to his natural position at strong safety? When playing strong safety, Wilson's been pretty good in this league.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:38 pm

MNDolfan wrote:
tonelaxn13 wrote:

Has there been any thought to dumping Bell and his massive roster bonus and moving Wilson back to his natural position at strong safety? When playing strong safety, Wilson's been pretty good in this league.

I'm pretty sure Wilson will be the more expensive player, by far, in 2010.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:36 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Not to mention that Bell is no slouch at SS. Bell did just technically make the pro-bowl. I think if you get a solid FS next to him and some ILB's who can cover.. Bell will shine even more. He had his moments this year that weren't so good. But, he did make a game saving tackle or two as well. Not to mention he lead the team in tackles.. again. (PLEASE let us get an ILB who can play, our SS should not be leading the team in tackles year in and out) I keep Bell over Wilson ANY day of the week.

Can you believe that both our safeties were the two leading tacklers. Eww. And 20 tackles behind even Wilson was Akin Ayodele. I know Channing missed a couple games.. But, he just plain STUNK this past year. Even Randy Starks had more tackles then Channing. Even Vontae Davis our rookie DB who didn't even start the whole year had only 2 less tackles then Crowder. Gone are the years of Zach dominating the team in tackles.

With the Salary Cap the way it is this year.. and with teams clearing out bad contracts. Do not be surprised to see Channing moved.. or cut.

YB had 3 INT's this year at SS. Wilson had 0 at FS.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]