View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 A former Dolphin scout's view on McClain 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post A former Dolphin scout's view on McClain
Quote:
Q: And McClain?

DJ: “He’s a good player but I don’t think he’s an elite player. He’s not Patrick Willis or Jon Beason or any of the three USC linebackers that came out last year (Matthews, Cushing and Maualuga). I think he’s more like Karlos Dansby of Arizona, more of a finesse linebacker than some of those names that I mentioned. Then you have to look at how he’s going to fit into a Mike Nolan defense. Mike likes a thumper, a real tackler and then a freelance floater, a guy that can get out to the perimeter and make plays on the edge. So you have to look and see whether McClain’s a floater or a thumper and some people think he’s going to be the thumper, but I think in Mike’s system he’s the floater. He’s very instinctive, a flow and feel guy. But at 12? I don’t know. I really don’t”

Q: I think he’s as instinctive as I’ve seen but when you watch him in isolation, he loafs quite a bit, especially on plays going away from him or working down the field. Do you see that?

DJ: I do. He does a lot of loafing for a guy rated so highly. I spent a few years around the greatest inside linebacker to ever play the game in Ray Lewis and I never saw him loaf in practice let alone in games, so that’s an issue for me. I don’t think he’s going to run very fast, he looks like a 4.75 type guy and I have to say that 12 is a little early for me.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... t_w_1.html

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Post Re: A former Dolphin scout's view on McClain
We'll be lucky if he's there at 12....

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:22 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

If it's a scout that was here from 98' to 2007, then I'm going to take what he said, print it out, put it in the furnace, stick it up his ....... you get the idea.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:44 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dave, I posted the same article in the Draft forum. He's a scout with Baltimore whom that guy Simon, the draft analyst from London, had a chance to interview.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:51 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

That's what the draft process is about, tearing prospects apart and building them up. Teams have been none to put negatives out on a kid that they hope will drop to them to hopefully scare other teams off.

All of these kids have there weaknesses, no question about it. I think there are more positives than negatives with McClain, and if it one thing Parcells knows is linebackers.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]