View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Combine rumor: Dolphins want Dansby 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Combine rumor: Dolphins want Dansby
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/24/combine-rumor-dolphins-want-dansby/

Quote:
Greg Bedard of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel offers up a juicy one. He says, via Twitter, that the word on the street is that the Dolphins "will pay" linebacker Karlos Dansby.

Coincidentally, the Dolphins were one of the teams listed by Dansby on a four-franchise wish list, before claiming that he has no wish list.

The Cardinals still have exclusive negotiating rights with Dansby until he hits the market at midnight on March 5, but the tampering begins to unfold with a vengeance during the NFL convention that unfolds in and around the Scouting Combine.

hmmm...

If we were to pick up Dansby, do you think we'll make more of a run at Dez Bryant or stick with defense?

Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:52 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Re: Combine rumor: Dolphins want Dansby
I think it certainly makes it more feasible if he were to be there at #12. I still think he will be gone as I expect Denver to eventually move Brandon Marshall. The Broncos would want to fill that void and Bryant would fit in nicely.

I think at that point, while they would be reaches somewhat, Brandon Graham and Dan Williams come in to play here as well.

I saw that earlier tonight on Rotoworld.com about Miami taking a serious run at Dansby. I think you could see Miami jumping on Dansby as soon as the clock hits 12:00 and free agency opens up. There probably some talk that will go on at the combine, although it is not suppose to happen, it does.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:01 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

joeschmoe wrote:
hmmm...

If we were to pick up Dansby, do you think we'll make more of a run at Dez Bryant or stick with defense?

Very interesting. I think the Dolphins think hard about Dez Bryant if he is still there, but supposedly there will be a very good OLB available, too. Getting Dansby opens up our options in the draft. I say we pay him. It will think it will improve the play of Crowder.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:57 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Big Dave wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:
hmmm...

Very interesting. I think the Dolphins think hard about Dez Bryant if he is still there, but supposedly there will be a very good OLB available, too. Getting Dansby opens up our options in the draft. I say we pay him. It will think it will improve the play of Crowder.

i agree with dansby and it helping crowder

bryant for me is top notch !! i can see a team trading up to get him
top ten pick for me

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:31 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Milwaukee Journal? Anyway, those are nice ideas but not really Parcells style. Possibly overpaying Dansby & drafting a wide receiver in the first round . . . . I'm not opposed but that seems like a stretch to me

I think it would be more likely that we get Boldin & draft a line backer

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:58 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Steve Zissou wrote:
Milwaukee Journal? Anyway, those are nice ideas but not really Parcells style. Possibly overpaying Dansby & drafting a wide receiver in the first round . . . . I'm not opposed but that seems like a stretch to me

I think it would be more likely that we get Boldin & draft a line backer

IMO that would be a much better deal. We get a proven guy at a position of need, and we look at drafting a position which can make an immediate impact (unlike most WRs).

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I don't think Karlos is the answer to our LB corpse... If we sign him, he will be a great addition playin under Nolan. But I sincerily don't expect a Ray Lewis type of ILB we're missing...

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:31 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Dan wrote:
I don't think Karlos is the answer to our LB corpse... If we sign him, he will be a great addition playin under Nolan. But I sincerily don't expect a Ray Lewis type of ILB we're missing...

I agree that Dansby is not the answer to our LB CORPSE. (Though he might fit right in.. half our LB's do play like corpses.) But, he just might fit in very nicely to our LB core or corps.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:01 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I don't really see why the addition of Dansby would allow the fins to shift away from the defense. Personally I think bringing in Dansby would shift the top option for the fins in round 1 from McClain to Kindle or another pass rushing outside linebacker (potentially graham but 12 is probably high for him.) I think it is very unlikely Dez will be there at 12 and if he is I still think Miami goes Defense.

We need so much more help on defense than we do offense. Have Langford or Merling proven themselves to the point where we can write off 3-4 end as a need? Gibril (need i say more). What are we going to do about NT? We don't have 1 proven linebacker that can play every down at this point (Peezy is gone, JT is old, Crowder is slow both mentally and physically and wake is a pass rushing developmental project, albeit a promising one) Signing Dansby and then drafting a LB with our top pick is IMO the best thing for the fins to do. We need speed and youth in our LB core, neither of which are present.

I also wouldn't rule out adding McCLain if we sign Dansby. Is it likely? Probably not, but parcells and co are known for drafting the top player available and Dansby certainly has the size this regime covets. Crowder isn't our ILB answer for the next 10 years and IMO he is expendable, why not see what kind of trade value he has (probably no higher than 4th round.) I wouldn't be opposed to having Dansby and MCclain in their together wreaking havoc for the next number of years. I expect at least 5 defenders drafted in this next draft, 3 of which being linebackers.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:21 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I actually think Dansby is a player that our regime WOULD pay big money for...sure the Trifecta likes to spend smartly, but they do also pay for those that deserve it and frankly signing Dansby means we have a large hole filled and we can focus elsewhere in the draft. Some positions, like WR, OLB, TE, etc might require double-picks in the draft to find the right fit, signing on Dansby would all-but shore up the ILB spot (Akin and Reggie are serviceable backups and I think Crowder is fit for a starting role) and we'll have more options in the draft and less holes to fill.

That being said I think if we do sign Dansby, we still go defense with the 12th pick. I personally would want Brandon Grahm, but Sergio Kindle or Dan Williams would be smart picks as well. But I see Graham/Jerry Hughes or Kindle/Hughes would be a good OLB combo in this up-coming draft, something the trifecta I believe would look into doing. And franklky I love Jerry Hughes as a LB and having him and Graham could possibly sollidify our murky future at the OLB positions.

But I think it all starts with picking up a good FA in this terrible FA class, and Dansby is our best option out there.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:19 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Are we really ready to give up on (2) 3rd year players in Phillip Merling and Kendall Langford already, really.

And yes, the defense certainly needs help as they gave up over 24 points a game, but the offense is scoring 22 points a game. If you think that is championship claiber, sorry, it's not.

And while Karlos Dansby will not be the answer by himself, and no one player is, he certainly can be part of the solution to helping fortify the linebacker unit.

Right now Miami has 9 picks and will likely get a compensatory pick. I believe a large part of the draft will and should go to the defense, but this team does need some offensive pieces as well.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:31 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Where did I say anything about giving up on Merling and Langford? I am just saying that they haven't completely established themselves. Am i giving up on them? NO. Have I written them off? NO. Am I convinced they are the answer and we shouldnt draft another DE because they are so good? NO. I believe in both of them but I think that the end in a 3-4 defense is too important to not bring in more talent, whether its to play immediately or push current players harder. You are completely misconstruing what I said.

Also where did I say our offense is championship calibur? I agree that our offense needs help but to say it needs more than the defense is rediculous. Especially in the first round, is anyone offensively outside dez bryant worth taking with the 12th pick? I don't think so, Our offense is much closer to where it needs to be than our defense IMO. Signing Dansby and addressing the defense early in the draft is what will turn this team into a contender the quickest.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:34 pm
Phins 2 Phins
Phins 2 Phins

Is Dansby the solution? Probably not but will he make a noticeable difference on defense is the real question. I think adding Dansby to our roster can only benefit us and I think that if there is any one player tehy would be willing to pay money for Dansbt would be it.
I also think that if Bryant was available at 12 and we picked up Dansby that should be our pick, unfirtunately I think he will go to the Broncos. If that is the case them I think we should trade down because the other players we should move onto consider will still fall to us.

"News, info and discussions about the Miami Dolphins, their players and the season..."

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:37 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

What if we do get Dansby? That doesn't mean we can't still get Boldin.... Then we could still address defense in the first round. We could go OLB or DE or even NT. Boldin and Dansby give us to immediate upgrades/help at positions that are majorly lacking on this team.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:33 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phin wrote:
What if we do get Dansby? That doesn't mean we can't still get Boldin.... Then we could still address defense in the first round. We could go OLB or DE or even NT. Boldin and Dansby give us to immediate upgrades/help at positions that are majorly lacking on this team.

I didnt think Miami would go for Dansby but you're right. If they could get those two it adds some good veteran presence and fills two large needs.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:36 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The nice thing about Dansby is that we don't have to give up picks and he is an instant upgrade that is proven. We still get to address defense, and if Boldin can be gotten for a 3rd rounder, you still have the 2nd round to add another defensive talent. Dansby+Defense in 1st + Defense in 2nd + Boldin for our 3rd = pretty darn good

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:40 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I guess the combine rumor is that Boldin will be dealt, the Ravens and Dolphins are the likely players, and the asking price is a 2nd rounder (all speculation of course). My only concern is that Baltimore would have an easier time parting with a late 2nd rounder than Miami would with an early 2nd rounder. So many freaking unknowns.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Bring in Dansby, draft Dez Bryant, then the rest of the draft goes for defense.....sounds darn good to me.

Bring in Dansby, draft a linebacker, trade a 2nd for an aging Boldin......yuck.....stuck on stupid again. We will have a darn good defense in a year or two, but the offense will be pathetic. Ricky will be gone.....Ronnie will be gone ( or hurt ), you fill in the blank.....and our WR corps will still be amongst the league's most mediocre. BALANCE....the team needs a balanced approach.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:06 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Well the 2nd rounder is a complete rumor, but for that matter so is the 3rd rounder we were speculating on earlier. I don't see Boldin (for us) being worth the 2nd rounder. If he was a year or two younger he might be, but I'm not high on anything more than a 3rd, unless it was like a 3rd this year and a 6th next....

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

How about this.....

Free agent, Dansby
Draft Dez Bryant
bring in Boldin for maybe a 4th and Ginn....
Defense on the rest of the picks.

Henne gets two weapons. The defense gets some help. Opposing defenses now have to game plan for a multi-dimensional Dolphins team.....one than can run it down your throat and hit on big pass plays (you know....the ones where the ball goes more than 10 yds downfield.....).

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:13 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

csonkasaurus, the first part of my post was directed to your comments on Phillip Merling and Kendall Langford.

The rest of post involved nothing else you stated in your original post, but we do have posters on the board that think the offense is just fine and it was directed more to them.

In regards to Merling and Langford, indeed this is a key year for them. While they continue to be part of the rotation, they have not stepped there games up following nice rookie seasons. I think you probably will see a lot more of Ryan Baker next year and it would not surprise me to see Miami draft another 3-4 DE.

Also, if Miami does sign Dansby, I still think they will draft another ILB, maybe not in the 1st round, but they will bring in another ILB and I think Miami will draft multiple OLB's. Micah Johnson, the ILB from Kentucky is a kid I like in the mid to late rounds.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:16 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I think a lot of us like Micah. BEAST. IMO, he has late first round talent. But, the injury knocked him way down.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:42 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I agree Hypo.

Healthy and any other school other than Kentucky, and we would be lucky to get him in the early 2nd.

I think he ends up going to somebody in late round 3.

He reminds me of Jon Beason.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:31 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

He can plug running lanes VERY well. The one thing I haven't seen a lot of is his ability to cover. I hear it's pretty mediocre. But, one thing is for sure. I'd love to have him laying the wood at ILB for us.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]