View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 is a first round WR worth it? 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post is a first round WR worth it?
Wr taken in the first round since 2005

Braylon Edwards
Troy Williamson
Mike Williams
Matt Jones
Mark Clayton
Roddy White

Santonio Holmes

Calvin Johnson
Ted Ginn Jr
Dwayne Bowe
Robert Meachem
Craig Davis
Anthony Gonzalez

None

Darrius Heyward-Bey
Michael Crabtree
Jeremy Maclin
Percy Harvin
Hakeem Nicks
Kenny Britt

2nd Rounders
Reggie Brown
Mark Bradley
Roscoe Parrish
Terrence Murphy
Vincent Jackson

Chad Jackson
Sinorice Moss
Greg Jennings

Sidney Rice
Dwayne Jarret
Steve Smith (NYG)

Donnie Avery
Devin Thomas
Jordy Nelson
James Hardy
Eddie Royal
Jerome Simpson
Desean Jackson
Malcolm Kelly
Limas Sweed
Dexter Jackson

Brian Robiskie
Mohamed Massaquoi

Some good in with the bad but I think this class is extremely weak at WR. With more and more character issues with Bryant and us having so many needs I say we do not look wr until 3 unless Benn is there in the 2nd. Also did not realize we could have had Bowe instead of Ginn man talk about a punch in the face on that one :hithead:

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:34 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: is a first round WR worth it?
What are the more and more character issues with Bryant?

Dez is the best WR to come out since Calvin Johnson. If you look at a lot of the 1st round busts, they have basically been one dimensional players.

Ginn, Bey, Williamson, Davis....all pure speed guys. And then obviously there are the character issue players like Williams.

I have questioned Dez's immaturity in the past, but he doesn't have any real off the field issues, and his talent is undeniable. Speed, route running, hands, YAC, strength, the ability to go up and make a play......the guy has it all.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:21 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

His problem (supposedly) is motivation. He's lazy and routinely late according to Jason Cole's "sources."

Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
Some good in with the bad but I think this class is extremely weak at WR. With more and more character issues with Bryant and us having so many needs I say we do not look wr until 3

....Huh!!! The draft class for WR is weak, so let's wait till the 3rd round to draft one? Last year's WR class was one of the strongest in recent memory, so we waited till the 3rd round to draft Patrick Turner....who then sat on the bench all year. Please tell me the logic in waiting till the 3rd round this year???????

This team has needed a true #1 receiver for years. Draft one, or bring one in by free agency. If the Dolphins continue to stay stuck on stupid, then the team will continue to flounder. Look at last year's playoff teams. All but one got there on the strength of their offensive teams....and it was the passing game that drove most of those offenses. The NFL is a passing league. The Jets even featured Braylon Edwards....a receiver quantum leaps ahead of any of ours. We got the QB now....so get him some darn toys.

Dez Bryant is clearly the best WR in this year's draft. If he is there at #12, we would be insane not to take him. But, then again, this is the team that drafted Pat White and brought in Wilford and Gibril Wilson....so mistakes are not something they have entirely avoided.

Also, that list of 1st round WR's is chock full of stars....and guys who show signs of being better than any receiver on our team. I will highlight the top receivers from that list...looks like quite a few guys who would have made our team better:

Braylon Edwards
Mark Clayton
Roddy White

Santonio Holmes

Calvin Johnson
Dwayne Bowe
Robert Meachem
Anthony Gonzalez

Michael Crabtree
Jeremy Maclin
Percy Harvin
Hakeem Nicks
Kenny Britt

2nd Rounders
Vincent Jackson

Sinorice Moss
Greg Jennings

Sidney Rice
Steve Smith (NYG)

Donnie Avery
Jordy Nelson
Eddie Royal
Desean Jackson

Mohamed Massaquoi

Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:39 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Mark Clayton, Sinorice Moss and Dwayne Bowe are not better than this team has. Sidney Rice had a decent year with Berrian, Peterson and Favre..I wouldn't put him above Miami's receivers either.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dwayne Bowe and Sidney Rice have stats that clearly show they are superior to our team's wide receivers.

Bowe (3 year pro)
203 Rec 2,606 yds 12.8 avg (his biggest downfall) 16 TD's.......all this while playing for a God awful team.....

Let's compare him with Ginn (3 year pro)
128 Rec 1,664 yds 13.0 avg 5 TD's....

Yep....Bowe is a better receiver.....I would take him any day over Ginn. He is also better than Bess. Hartline is the only receiver we have that is close to being as big a threat to score....but he is just a rookie and we will have to wait and see.

Sidney Rice (3 year pro)

129 Rec 1,849 yds 14.3 avg 16 TD's

Closer match against Ginn....but still clearly has figured out where the endzone is. Rice did this with Tarvaris Jackson as his QB for 2 years....and Rice only started in 7 games total in 2007 and 2008. He started 14 games in 2009. So...yep....Rice is a better receiver than Ginn. Clearly he is better than Bess. Hartline is our closest match for him in terms of production in 2009.

So....yeah Bowe and Rice are better than our current crop of wide receivers. What makes you think otherwise? You are right about Sinorice Moss though....I should have scratched him off that list.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Dwayne Bowe and Sidney Rice have stats that clearly show they are superior to our team's wide receivers.

Because stats are the only thing that matter...
Regardless, you only compared them to Ginn...who is just awful.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Rice did this with Tarvaris Jackson as his QB for 2 years....and Rice only started in 7 games total in 2007 and 2008. He started 14 games in 2009.

Incorrect, he had Gus Frerotte in 2008...and you act like because he only started 7 games total in two years that that makes him good...if you aren't starting, doesn't that say something about the coaching staff's faith in you? I think it does.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:26 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I agree we need more playmakers. Our receivers aren't awful, they are just very similar (possession receivers without big YAC ability). Ginn has the speed and has shown flashes, but I think even the last of his die hard fans have given up on him being the playmaking WR you lean on.

The Dez Bryant character concerns are just that, concerning, but weren't the same things said about Crabtree? Once he actually made it on the field he was highly productive.

I don't have an issue with drafting Bryant but I don't think he will be there and I doubt even more that the front office looks at anything other than defense in the first few rounds.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:42 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If I understand it correctly, isn't Bowe a bigger, stronger version of Chambers? Great playmaking ability but inconsistent hands?

Pretty sure Rice had a good rookie year, was hurt in 08, and rebounded nicely this past season. I'd take him in a heartbeat because of size and toughness.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:44 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Is a first round WR worth it? "IF" Dez Bryant is our pick, then absolutely without a doubt. Beyond him, I am not so sure in this years draft.

I like that kid from Georgia Tech, but not with a first round pick.

Dez Bryant, if he stays healthy, I would expect a great chance of being an All-Pro wideout in the NFL.

IMO, he would even be worth trading down ahead of Denver, if he makes it that far. He can be a star for many years to come.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:07 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Finhead wrote:
Is a first round WR worth it? "IF" Dez Bryant is our pick, then absolutely without a doubt. Beyond him, I am not so sure in this years draft.

I like that kid from Georgia Tech, but not with a first round pick.

Bryant is the only WR worth the 12th pick. I'd say Arrelious Benn and Golden Tate have a chance to be 1st round WRs, but I think there is some better talent at other positions that should be taken before them if we are talking about the 12th pick.

Demaryius Thomas could go anywhere from the 2nd to the late 3rd. Its possible he could go late 1st if a team falls in love with his upside.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]