View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Dolphins set Internal Salary Cap 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Dolphins set Internal Salary Cap
Quote:
Stephen Ross: Money doesn't buy victories

With the uncapped year only days away, Dolphins fans can pretty much cast aside thoughts of their team breaking open the piggy bank as it dives into free agency.

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross told me moments ago that, "yes," the Dolphins have set an internal budget for 2010 and although he didn't want to get into specifics, he made it clear the team will neither be among 2010's highest spenders nor at the spending floor compared to other teams.

"I don't think money buys victories," Ross said as he walked to a meeting with other NFL owners at the Ritz-Carlton in Fort Lauderdale. "I think we have the right personnel to make the right decisions. And you do what you need to do. But you don't throw money at things just to buy victories. That doesn't do it. It's about your brains, not your pocketbook that does it."

Last season, the first under Ross as owner, the Dolphins spent a lot of money. According to NFLPA figures the team's total payroll of $126,855,921 was the second highest in the NFL behind only the New York Giants and their $137,638,866 total payroll.

more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2010/03/stephen-ross-money-doesnt-buy-victories.html

So there goes our dream team with Dansby, Rolle, and Anquan Boldin. :embarrassed:

Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:27 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Dolphins set Internal Salary Cap
No Dansby I guess....

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:42 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

did not realize that we had the second highest payroll

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:16 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phins Rock wrote:
No Dansby I guess....

Not necessarily. I think Parcells goes after one high-priced free agent as he did last year. He'll spend big money on offensive linemen and linebackers.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:57 pm
Profile WWW

They did go after a high priced FA last year, (in fact, 4 of them if you count Bell and Carey)...

But Dansby is going to cost in the 5 year, 60 million dollar range.

That's like Gibril, Grove, and Crowder combined.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:05 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Most of the money was spent in resigning Vernon Carey, Yeremiah Bell & Channing Crowder. Miami did sign Gibril Wilson and Jake Grove to nice deals.

Miami will gain a good bit of money back from cutting Joey Porter and could gain more in releasing Gibril Wilson.

I agree with Dave in that I believe the regime will make a run at a guy they like, aka Karlos Dansby. There to much smoke about Miami going after Dansby.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:32 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Yeah it was interesting to me that we had a team with no real big names (minus porter and JT), yet we still had the second highest payroll. I guess thats why we brought dawn aponte here.

Dansby is asking for way too much, imo..

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:30 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Most of the money was spent in resigning Vernon Carey, Yeremiah Bell & Channing Crowder. Miami did sign Gibril Wilson and Jake Grove to nice deals.

Miami will gain a good bit of money back from cutting Joey Porter and could gain more in releasing Gibril Wilson.

I agree with Dave in that I believe the regime will make a run at a guy they like, aka Karlos Dansby. There to much smoke about Miami going after Dansby.

Crowder is at bargain prices. He didn't sign for huge money, I want to say in the 2.5-3 million range.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]