View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Dophins should move for Dansby; Boldin still buyer beware 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dophins should move for Dansby; Boldin still buyer beware
Quote:
> Posted by Dave Hyde on March 4, 2010 08:40 AM
1. The free-agent period opens tonight at midnight, and expect the Dolphins to make a big, free-agent offer for linebacker Karlos Dansby. Expect a lot of teams to go after him, too, considering he's one of the few prizes of this time of bigger headlines than payouts.

Dansby, though, would be a catch. He'd solidify a linebacker corps that needs wholesale changes. He'd also free up the Dolphins to move elsewhere with the No. 12 pick, if they want.

2. Arizona is asking for a third-round pick for Anquan Boldin. That shows just how badly they want to get rid of him. It's a good price, though he fits the buyer-beware label to me. He's 30 (next season). He's had injury issues the last two years. He's been playing for a new contract. He was in a passing offense with Kurt Warner and opposite Larry Fitzgerald. The question: Is he a bonified No. 1 receiver? Nope. He's an upgrade, sure. But beware of too high of expectations.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... l+blogs%29

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:08 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Dophins should move for Dansby; Boldin still buyer beware
Quote:
by: Omar Kelly March 4th, 2010 | 6:52 AM This is the calm before tonight’s storm, but I’m expecting this year’s start of free agency to be quite different than years past. Quiet in fact because of the new financial landscape.
Everyone and their momma is expecting the Miami Dolphins to be in the Karlos Dansby sweepstakes. However, their supposed interest in the Cardinals inside linebacker might just be a smokescreen because I can’t remember the last time the Trifecta was this transparent about their REAL intentions.

The Trifecta at work
I’m told Bill Parcells is an excellent poker players, especially when it comes to free agency. He doesn’t bluff on offers, avoids bidding wars, and he rarely ever shows his hand.
From what I’ve gathered talking to those in the know the past few days (NFL people are like gossiping teenagers around this time) Dansby is looking to trump the five-year, $40 million deal the Jets gave Bart Scott last season. That deal paid Scott $27 million in the first three years.
The team that doesn’t get Dansby likely jumps to the front of the line for the draft’s top inside linebacker

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... l+Blogs%29

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:17 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Dansby: The Dolphins are interested. There is no doubt about that. Too many NFL people are saying it for it not to be true. The latest to make the point is Andrew Brandt, the former VP of the Green Bay Packers who is now writes the business of football column for National Football Post. He direct messaged me on my twitter Wednesday to stress he keeps hearing from his sources that the Dolphins are onto Dansby.

The NFL Network's Steve Wyche reported that three teams are onto Dansby, although he did not know the teams. I also don't know the other teams. But I can tell you Dansby expects something of an auction for his services and he will go to the highest bidder.

By auction, I'm talking Rembrandt type stuff here. Agent sources tell me Dansby will be "asking" $30 million in guaranteed money on a five-year contract that would expire when he's 33 years old.

He wants to set the market's new ceiling for a linebacker so he's going to start out somewhere in orbit. And understand the $30 mil is not the entire deal. The total cost of the deal Dansby will be asking will average at least $8 million annually. Do the math. The guy wants a deal of approximately $40 million with 75 percent of that guaranteed.

Of course, asking and getting are two different universes. But the fact more than two teams are apparently interested is a good sign for the former Auburn standout.

I would tell you Dansby would be the prize of unrestricted free agency for the Dolphins should they land him. But landing him will be neither easy nor cheap.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... a--it.html

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:39 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Looks like Dave Hyde is guy that seems to want to give Fitzgerald credit for what Anquan has acheived, when Boldin was there before Fitzgerald and was the established WR, not the other way around.

You put Anquan Boldin in any style offense, he will be productive, plus he is great as a downfield blocker in the run game, something Fitzgerald get's criticized for.

Last edited by phinsfansc on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:28 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Dansby is crazy for asking for so much . . he is good, but he isn't near Ray Lewis good. Its just crazy to expect that much money, especially in a year that a lot of owners may actually plan on spending less with the possibility of a lockout growing day by day

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:00 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

We will see what the market bares, but I can tell you right now that if the Redskins get involved with this, he may get what he asks for. Bart Scott is a good football player, not great, but he got big money last year.

A plus in this race may be that the Giants have said they will not be involved in the bidding for Dansby.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:36 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

joeschmoe wrote:
Dansby is crazy for asking for so much . . he is good, but he isn't near Ray Lewis good. Its just crazy to expect that much money, especially in a year that a lot of owners may actually plan on spending less with the possibility of a lockout growing day by day

You hit the nail right on the head and throughout his career this defense has never been that good. Has Dansby ever been to a PRO BOWL?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:55 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

MdDolfan wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:

You hit the nail right on the head and throughout his career this defense has never been that good. Has Dansby ever been to a PRO BOWL?

Since when (Lately) does one put much stock in the pro bowl. It's a popularity contest. Good players get snubbed every year.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:45 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think I've flopped on Dansby. i don't want him for that kind of money. We are getting rid of a big contract with Porter and I don't see why signing another overpriced free agent would help. Better to build through the draft (even if it takes time), than to overspend on pricey free agents.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]