Les Miles 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Todd Bowles 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mike Zimmer 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Total votes: 31
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:32 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The poll is who will they hire, although I'd also like to hear everybody's thoughts on who you think they should hire.

I think it will be, and am on board with Rob Chudzinski. Is there anybody in the NFL right now you would trust more with a young QB?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:39 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I say they go after Rob Ryan after Cowher turns him down because of Ireland/Peterson..

Whether or not Ryan will want to work for a proven loser like Carl Peterson remains to be seen...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:05 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
Peterson has earned praise for hiring winning coaches and re-establishing proud traditions for professional football franchises.

Peterson led the Chiefs for 20 seasons, one of the longest and most successful tenures for a team president, general manager and CEO in modern NFL history.

Upon his arrival to Kansas City, he made one of the most important hires in the team's history when naming Marty Schottenheimer head coach. Schottenheimer led the team to its most successful period since Pro Football Hall of Fame coach Hank Stram paced Kansas City's sidelines. Prior to Peterson's arrival, the Chiefs had made only one playoff appearance in the previous 18 years. The Chiefs were the NFL's winningest team in the 1990s, won four AFC West championships, and played in the team's only AFC Championship Game in January 1994. Over Peterson's 20 years, the Chiefs' record was 176-141-1 and qualified for the NFL playoffs nine times.

Under Peterson's leadership, three Kansas City assistant coaches ultimately went on to lead teams to Super Bowl championships as head coaches: Bill Cowher (Pittsburgh Steelers; Super Bowl XL), Tony Dungy (Indianapolis Colts; Super Bowl XLI) and Mike McCarthy (Green Bay Packers; Super Bowl XLV). Peterson also hired Vermeil as Kansas City's head coach in 2001, two years after he had led the St. Louis Rams to victory in Super Bowl XXXIV.

Four current NFL team general managers also built their portfolios as members of the Chiefs' front office under Peterson: Tom Dimitroff (Atlanta Falcons), Mark Dominik (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), Jeff Ireland (Miami Dolphins) and John Schneider (Seattle Seahawks). In addition, National Football Scouting President Jeff Foster, a Chiefs scout under Peterson, now directs the annual NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis for all 32 NFL clubs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Peterson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:16 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dave Hyde wrote:
Ross wants an experienced coach. The top two names out there are the names everyone will call: Bill Cowher and Jeff Fisher.

“I’d like to find a young Don Shula, if that’s possible,” Ross said.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... l+blogs%29

Geez, who isn't looking for the next Don Shula? Get in line, Ross.

All the same .... good luck to you. I'm thinking he may go after a college head coach again.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:01 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Bringing in a big deal maker like Carl Peterson is a good move that indicates Ross is very interested in Bill Cowher. Cowher wants power and a quarterback. Reports two months ago indicated that Cowher was very interested in Miami because at that time it looked as though we would have a good shot at getting Andrew Luck. Cowher wants to win early and win in the future. Cowher basically has a lot of needs in order for him to walk into a situation. The big question is do the Dolphins have what he wants???
Front office wise the Dolphins could make one simple move that would appease Cowher. We already seem to be moving towards signing Peterson which is a good move. Next we could take GM powers away from Ireland and let him take over full time as head of scouting. This would allow Cowher to work with Peterson and have the final say on all player/personnel decisions. This makes it possible for Miami to meet need number one.
That brings us to the quarterback situation. Matt Moore. Well, he isn't exactly what I would call a selling point. But he could represent good trade value if we find the right buyer on draft day. So the question becomes can we land a quarterback that would instill confidence in Cowher??? That is a question I can't answer. I guess it all depends on how we finish. If the Dolphins can finish in the top five then there remains a possibility of landing a top tier prospect. Basically this is one of the major flaws with the Miami organization right now. We don't have a top tier franchise quarterback or top tier franchise quarterback prospect to sell to a prospective top tier coach.
As far as winning early and often, if the Dolphins can land a coach like Cowher and a top tier quarterback prospect then it will work itself out. Cowher took a young first round prospect named Big Ben to a Super Bowl. If the Dolphins can land a similar prospect maybe we can have similar success??? We've got a good defense, we've got talent on the other side, we just need a trigger man to run it all and tie everything together.
Whether or not we can land Cowher will depend on how we sell what we can do to get him a quarterback that is up to his standards. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:15 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I so do not want a studio analyst who would only be coming back for the payday to become Miami's next HC.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:01 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Phins Rock wrote:
The poll is who will they hire, although I'd also like to hear everybody's thoughts on who you think they should hire.

I think it will be, and am on board with Rob Chudzinski. Is there anybody in the NFL right now you would trust more with a young QB?

If they could get Chud AND Griffin III, that would be very intriguing.

Rob Ryan would be solid.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:06 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rob Ryan is a joke. Sorry, I'm not that impressed with his brother in NY either. Time to either reach for college talent or go old school with Cowher.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:42 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

After Cowher turns Ross down. Les Miles will be the big splash COLLEGE guy. I want a HEAD COACH. No more assistants who are in over their heads. (Though Philbin is intriguing) IE. Cam Cameron. Sparano. I'd really prefer it to NOT be Les Miles either. But, I'll take what I can get... better then SOME of the alternatives.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:18 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I like Pete Carmichael and Mike Zimmer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:02 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Kev1321 wrote:

Quote:
Peterson took over a sad sack Chiefs operation in 1989 and hired Marty Schottenheimer as coach. Together, they built the Chiefs into one of the league's most successful teams over the next 10 years. Year after year Arrowhead Stadium sold out and the Chiefs competed for the AFC West title.

They never did get to the ultimate goal, the Super Bowl. With Joe Montana at quarterback, they did reach the AFC title game in the 1993 season, but lost to Buffalo. However, Kansas City faltered the past decade after Schottenheimer resigned and seemed to hit a low point with an emotionally draining loss Sunday to San Diego.

..............During Peterson's 20 years at the helm, the Chiefs amassed a 176-141-1 record, won the AFC West four times.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3771725

Marty ran that team....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:22 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Jeff Fisher, the guy wins and he has not always had the talent or support Cowher has. To me I think Cowher is going to be like a lot of the free agents that leave Pittsburgh, a flop!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:53 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I really like Jay Gruden. Imagine what he could do with Barkley or RGIII??

Hmmmmm!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:03 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

catman_56 wrote:
Jeff Fisher, the guy wins and he has not always had the talent or support Cowher has. To me I think Cowher is going to be like a lot of the free agents that leave Pittsburgh, a flop!

Omar Kelly seems to be hinting at Fisher.

Would it be that crazy to think Ross would give Fisher personnel decision power and keep Ireland as sort of a consultant/figurehead? Ireland has to know that A. he's luck to still have a job and B. he's not the most popular/sought after GM around the league.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:05 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

You guys had better hope we land a big name guy like Cowher. Otherwise we'd all better get ready for Brian Shottenheimer to lead this team. He's a young offensive coach that likes to air it out which I'm sure all of us would like to see. But at the same time the Jets offense hasn't done very well the past couple of seasons. I'm not sure whether the problems with that offense are Shottenheimer and his playcalling or Sanchez and his terrible decision making. Either way, Shottenheimer is a real candidate that we should all brace ourselves for if we can't land a big fish. Shottenheimer was a front runner for the job Sparano got back in 2007, but he backed out at the last minute. He's been at the front of the list for a couple of other head coaching vacancies over the past couple of seasons as well. He's 38, inexperienced, and he might just be our next head coach. While he does have the coaching pedigree, whether or not he's going to make a good head coach is up for debate.
Ross said he's looking for a "young Don Shula". Ireland said he's looking for a "football guy". Shottenheimer is young, and he is a football guy. But the whole Shula thing, that I'm not so sure. Right now I'd have to say probably not, but who knows. Until the kid gets a shot to coach, I'll have to reserve my judgement.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:54 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Les intrigues me but Im wary of hiring another college coach; especially one with LSU ties. Cowher would be a good choice from the standpoint of knowledgeable and a 'football' guy, but would he have the desire to repeat in Miami?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:21 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I hate the idea of Cower being our head coach. I dont know if any of you watched him through the years but he is a product of a great system. He is the kinda coach you want 40 years ago not now. How many years did he let Kordell Stewart and Tommy maddox start for his team just go take a glance.

And then go look at how many games he got ahead a 3 points and then shut his offense down and lost because he likes to sit on his 3 point leads. Thats not todays NFL You have to score points to keep up with the better teams in this leauge. There are way to many flags on defenses now to be able to hold teams under 10 points.
If you want to watch a lot of the same thing that we have already had for 4 years then Cower is the right guy.

I want someone young who has not already won a superbowl, who wants to win just as bad as the fans and the players. I have no idea who that is but Cower is not the guy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:24 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Mando tweeted recently that there is no chance Cowher comes to Miami. Can't say I'm surprised, although I'm a little disappointed.

Also probably means Fisher is off the table as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:08 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Mando tweeted recently that there is no chance Cowher comes to Miami. Can't say I'm surprised, although I'm a little disappointed.

How does no Cowher=no Fisher?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:22 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Because if Cowher says no so early, it's because of Ireland being in place. Fisher likely shares the same thought process.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:24 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Because if Cowher says no so early, it's because of Ireland being in place. Fisher likely shares the same thought process.

There's a whole lot of assumption in that post.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:30 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I voted Les Miles for this reason. He's been recruiting, coaching and coaching against the top college talent in the country. I think that formula worked for Jimmy Johnson, maybe it could work for Les.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:33 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TennFinFan13 wrote:
I voted Les Miles for this reason. He's been recruiting, coaching and coaching against the top college talent in the country. I think that formula worked for Jimmy Johnson, maybe it could work for Les.

Or like it didn't work for Barry Switzer, Saban, Petrino, Dennis Erickson, Butch Davis, Steve Spurrier, Mike Riley, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:53 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Iowafin wrote:
TennFinFan13 wrote:

Or like it didn't work for Barry Switzer, Saban, Petrino, Dennis Erickson, Butch Davis, Steve Spurrier, Mike Riley, etc.

True, but you can come up with just as many if not more examples for each prospective coach listed in the poll.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:15 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

10acjed wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

Quote:
Peterson took over a sad sack Chiefs operation in 1989 and hired Marty Schottenheimer as coach. Together, they built the Chiefs into one of the league's most successful teams over the next 10 years. Year after year Arrowhead Stadium sold out and the Chiefs competed for the AFC West title.

They never did get to the ultimate goal, the Super Bowl. With Joe Montana at quarterback, they did reach the AFC title game in the 1993 season, but lost to Buffalo. However, Kansas City faltered the past decade after Schottenheimer resigned and seemed to hit a low point with an emotionally draining loss Sunday to San Diego.

..............During Peterson's 20 years at the helm, the Chiefs amassed a 176-141-1 record, won the AFC West four times.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3771725

Marty ran that team....

Quote:
Peterson took over a sad sack Chiefs operation in 1989 and hired Marty Schottenheimer as coach

Oh ok

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:36 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phins Rock wrote:
Mando tweeted recently that there is no chance Cowher comes to Miami.

I like Cowher, but if he doesn't seem interested in the job then forget him. Anyone that needs convincing to take the job will not put their whole heart into it. (Eh, Saban?) Also, he's been out of coaching for 5 years. He has to be getting soft.

I'm not against Gruden, as long as he doesn't have final say into the player acquisition part. He's a high profile coach and you know that Ross wants high profile everything for this team. Heck, he was glowing about the talent and possibilities of this team at the start of the season.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:49 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

they will hire the next young Don Shula. Ross already said so.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:19 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
they will hire the next young Don Shula. Ross already said so.

Lol..along with the sig, this comment made me laugh pretty hard.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:22 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I will say that nothing will surprise me on who the final choice will be.....I am bracing myself for the _ _ _ _ _!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:23 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
I will say that nothing will surprise me on who the final choice will be.....I am bracing myself for the _ _ _ _ _!!!!!

No matter what, be sure that Phins Rock will find it be a great hire.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:49 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Kev1321 wrote:

Quote:
Peterson took over a sad sack Chiefs operation in 1989 and hired Marty Schottenheimer as coach

Oh ok

And when Marty left what happened to the Chiefs with Peterson making the decisions?
I cant disregard the fact that he (Peterson) hired Schott and helped build a winning franchise. But you also cant disregard the fact that once Schott left he was unable to land another winning coach.

Just saying. His resume is hiring one successful coach.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:51 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Phins Rock wrote:

Tweets arent facts

:ann0y:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:53 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
According to NFL spokesman Greg Aiello, teams that have appointed interim coaches cannot hire a permanent coach until after the season.

“Once the season is concluded, the head coaching position must be considered open and the club must fill the position in accordance with the interviewing guidelines,” Aiello said.

Those guidelines require that teams interview at least one minority candidate to satisfy the league’s Rooney Rule. Because Dolphins interim coach Todd Bowles is black, could the Dolphins fulfill the rule by interviewing Bowles this week and then hiring a coach before the season ends Jan. 1 against the Jets?

No, the league says. A minority candidate — likely Bowles — must be interviewed after the final game of the season.

The rule does not prohibit the Dolphins from immediately contacting or interviewing candidates who have no affiliation to teams, including Bill Cowher and Tony Dungy (who both say they plan to stay in television), Jon Gruden, Jeff Fisher and Brian Billick. ESPN’s Eric Mangini, who has given counsel to Dolphins owner Stephen Ross in the past, ESPN’s Herman Edwards and NFL Network’s Steve Mariucci are among other former coaches free to speak to teams.

That's pretty messed up....I can see having to go through the stupid Rooney rule but who are they to hold back a team from signing a coach and moving on with the franchise

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/12/14/2 ... z1gYHFsdJc

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]