All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:13 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I'm glad Ireland repeatedly stated in the press conference they will get a "Football Guy" as the next HC. I was worried they may go with Marc Anthony.

C'mon, I know you don't want to limit yourself by being overly specific, but you got to come out with something better than that.

The press conference and follow up interview are on MiamiDolphins.com

:boo:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:27 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I was sitting by the phone until I read that

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:09 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

NFLJunkie wrote:
I was sitting by the phone until I read that

:)

“We all stink. We're 0-6, everybody stinks. We’ve all, in some way, shape or form have not been good enough I don’t care if it’s the front-desk secretary — she ain’t doing a good enough job.”-Reggie Bush

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:05 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Tony Sparano was a "Football Guy"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:00 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Maybe he meant that he is looking for a soccer guy. Pelé, anyone?

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:29 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Ireland needs to go. Once again he is part of this 3 headed monster that got us our 3rd losing season in a row. Throwing your head coach under the bus when you should of had his back is spineless & gutless. His antics can make it hard for us to land a first tier guy , who would trust him? We finally hear from him when we fire his friend but when his friend was 0-7 and at least standing up at the poteom , he stays under his rock. He sucks up to Ross who is a part of the problem as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:44 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

FINesse wrote:
Ireland needs to go. Once again he is part of this 3 headed monster that got us our 3rd losing season in a row. Throwing your head coach under the bus when you should of had his back is spineless & gutless. His antics can make it hard for us to land a first tier guy , who would trust him? We finally hear from him when we fire his friend but when his friend was 0-7 and at least standing up at the poteom , he stays under his rock. He sucks up to Ross who is a part of the problem as well.

Well in Irelands defense the common thread in his & Sparanos relationship left here a while ago...

Both were guys brought in to Dallas by Parcells and then brought here by Parcells.

Ireland did not hire Tony Sparano....

And I doubt for one second that Jeff Ireland stays on as GM if Cowher tells Ross he will coach if he can bring in his own GM

We have a guy who has done a decent job in finding talent. Lets not go crazy just yet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:51 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Jeff Ireland and Stephen Ross are certainly not on the same page. Ross said he is looking for a young Shula, while Ireland wants a proven commodity.

I do also think if Cowher wants this job, Ireland is gone because Cowher will want to bring in his own personnel man.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:59 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

I want a Golf or Table Tennis guy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:19 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:

No he wasn't. He was a personality coach, that's it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:52 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rich wrote:
I want a Golf or Table Tennis guy.

Zach Thomas just won the Charity Table Tennis tournament.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:59 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I've got a feeling Ross let Ireland know he was on a short leash. Ross can't be happy if Ireland talked him out of firing Sporano at the end of last season (thus, obstructing him from bringing in Jim Harbough or potentially Urban Meyer). Obviously, Ross made it clear to Ireland he will be intensely involved, if not leading the search.

In that press conference, Ireland also repeated the next coach will be someone "Mr. Ross is looking for", i.e. a coach who gets butts in seats. Look for a full blown press on Cowher.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:15 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:
10acjed wrote:

You obviously didnt know much about the guy...

I want to win too, but I dont blame the failure of the Parcells / Ireland / Sparano regime on him at all. He obviously had issues with some things being he got his contract adjusted to allow him more control in player selection. And he may have not been the greatest coach. But the guy took his team back in the middle of the season after an 0-7 start and had them all rally around him.
He got screwed with us..

Parcells screwed this team royally. The rest is just collateral damage.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:45 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
10acjed wrote:

You obviously didnt know much about the guy...

I want to win too, but I dont blame the failure of the Parcells / Ireland / Sparano regime on him at all. He obviously had issues with some things being he got his contract adjusted to allow him more control in player selection. And he may have not been the greatest coach. But the guy took his team back in the middle of the season after an 0-7 start and had them all rally around him.
He got screwed with us..

Parcells screwed this team royally. The rest is just collateral damage.

Wow, your on that Island with few others man. Tony Sporano was not a good coach. He was a character guy no doubt, but he made lots of coaching mistakes and failed to get the players prepared or make adjustments along the way. He also couldn't put together an offensive line to save his life ....err... job in this case! That's inexcusable when your an oline coach to begin with. No, Tony needed to go back to being an assistant, he was just far too in over his head.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:49 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

You don't fire your General Manager/Head of Scouting at the end of the season when he's in the middle of his scouting for this years draft. Ireland is only safe in my opinion because firing him now would severely hurt our draft. If you want to see Ireland get fired, just wait until after the draft. Ireland is still not as safe as most seem to think. If the Dolphins are able to convince Cowher to come to Miami I could see a scenario where Ireland is bumped down to just Head of Scouting, and then possibly released after the draft. But, if he and Cowher are able to work well together and they have a successful draft then who knows.
If you talk to a lot of coaches they'll say this is now a general manager's league and not a coaches league. General Managers do all of the player/personnel decisions now and if you are going to have success as a head coach you'll need to find a general manager that is willing to work with you, and is willing to build a relationship where the two can come up with a draft strategy and build the team together. I think that if Ireland is willing to work with Cowher, and listen to him on player/personnel decision, then this could work. But this only works if Ireland and Cowher can work together. If not, then maybe Ireland needs to go. Or maybe we're better off going after Fisher.
Personally I'd like to see a scenario where Ireland and Cowher can co-exist. Ireland has had pretty good success drafting defensive players over the past few seasons. Cowher is a defensive minded coach who understands the importance of having talent on that side of the football. The only problem I see is that Ireland has failed to acquire a franchise quarterback for this team. That is something that Cowher would no doubt like to get. So I guess for me it all boils down to whether or not the two of them can agree on a quarterback. If they both can identify a kid in the draft, or someone in free agency, then maybe this can work. If not, then this deal will likely not get done.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:58 pm 

Quote:
You don't fire your General Manager/Head of Scouting at the end of the season when he's in the middle of his scouting for this years draft.

Baloney.

Do you think other personnel guys are sitting around watching Family Feud while waiting for the phone to ring?

If anything, the unemployed ones have more time to scout college talent than the ones who also have to focus on who is available to churn the bottom of the roster.

And the employed ones are currently gathering information for the teams they work for.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:18 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

10acjed wrote:
He got screwed with us..

Heck, he was paid millions of dollars to field a mediocre team. And he's getting paid a couple million next year to do nothing. Who screwed who?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:20 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Quote:
You don't fire your General Manager/Head of Scouting at the end of the season when he's in the middle of his scouting for this years draft.

Baloney.

Do you think other personnel guys are sitting around watching Family Feud while waiting for the phone to ring?

If anything, the unemployed ones have more time to scout college talent than the ones who also have to focus on who is available to churn the bottom of the roster.

And the employed ones are currently gathering information for the teams they work for.

Yes, but how many of them have the inside information of what the Miami Dolphins need???
The NFL is a general managers league now. The GM holds more power than ever before and that means firing them is a lot more tricky than it may have been in the past. Not only is Ireland the general manager, he's also our head of scouting. He's a pretty important piece of this team right now and Ross listens to him from what I can tell. I don't think Ross is willing to let him go that easily. I'm pretty sure Carl Peterson agrees with that and that is why Ireland still has a job right now. From what I've seen Ross seems to trust two guys, Peterson and Ireland. I think those two guys will remain with this team going forward. Whether Ireland remains GM I do not know, but I do think he'll remain with the team until at least the draft.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:27 pm 

wkloiber13 wrote:
Yes, but how many of them have the inside information of what the Miami Dolphins need???

Anyone with a set of eyes can see what the Miami Dolphins need.

Quarterback, offensive line, pass rusher, safety.

Everything else is icing on the cake.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:51 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
Anyone with a set of eyes can see what the Miami Dolphins need.

You'd think so, Rich, but we have an offensive coordinator that took half the season to figure out how to use Reggie Bush even though there are years of tape on him, and we have a defensive coordinator using our physical corners in zone rather than man-to-man. The fans can see it, but our coaches dont' seem to be able to.

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]