10. Philadelphia (5-8)
11. Buffalo (5-8)
12. Kansas City (5-8)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9833 ... of-week-15

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:35 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

At least two of the teams ahead of us are in need of a qb (Indy and Wash). Im not sure there are more than two qbs in this draft that deserve to go inside the top ten. It might behoove us to trade down to the early teens, or trade up above the Skins. I'd give the Vikings or Rams a call and see what it would take to move up so that we could get the second best qb off the board.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:53 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Phin wrote:
At least two of the teams ahead of us are in need of a qb (Indy and Wash). Im not sure there are more than two qbs in this draft that deserve to go inside the top ten. It might behoove us to trade down to the early teens, or trade up above the Skins. I'd give the Vikings or Rams a call and see what it would take to move up so that we could get the second best qb off the board.

I am on the fence with Indy actually drafting Luck. Still feel they could easily move down a few spots, and gain more picks while still putting a first round QB on the rosters.

Wash will take the best QB available at their spot. Which leaves us in a strange spot. We trade down and run the risk of loosing the guy we want to teams like Cleveland and KC, not to mention other teams scrambling to move up...

I am hoping for RG III, and praying that if we take him he is as good at the pro level as he was in college.

Personally I could care less about the rest of the draft. We need a QB, and we need to start taking the chances..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:01 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Phin wrote:

The draft has changed. Because of the rookie scale, I think teams are going to be more willing to reach for players and less willing to trade down, especially if they are looking for a quarterback.

We don't want to trade ourselves out of a top QB prospect, so I don't think it would behoove us to trade down unless it is only a couple of spots. Early teens might be too low.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:12 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

It doesn't really matter where Miami picks, if they want Luck or RG111, then they are going to have to trade up. I could be wrong, but I believe some team (or teams ) will make a big move and trade up to get Luck or RG111. I don't think Barkley is coming out.
So the question is how much is a franchise QB worth. Some people point out the Minnesota trade
for Hershal Walker or New Orleans when they traded their whole draft for Ricky Williams as a
warning for trading too much. It's true that none of them worked out.
But and I mean a very big but, Walker and Williams were running backs. You can't build a team around a running back. This is a QB driven league. You have to build your team around a QB.
You need a franchise QB to win a championship in the NFL.Look at the Colts and the Bears,
without Manning and Cutler they're nothing.
Take away Breese from the Saints, Rodgers from the Packers, Brady from the Pats
Sanchez from the Jets (ok,I am kidding,I just couldn't resist that one) where are those teams now.
I would give the whole draft for Luck because in three years, when Luck will be a seasoned QB
will we really miss the rest of the potential picks we lost. Think about it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:00 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

gatorphin wrote:
I would give the whole draft for Luck because in three years, when Luck will be a seasoned QB
will we really miss the rest of the potential picks we lost. Think about it.

:yay: :yay: :yay:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:21 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'd give two firsts, a 2nd and maybe a 4th. Something like that, to move up for Luck. I just feel as if he is one guy that no matter the price, Indy won't trade that pick away.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:07 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Phin wrote:
Indy won't trade that pick away.

Indy needs more than just a QB. With that I can see a scenario where if Barkley, Griffin both come out & Indy likes both & believes they can improve their team more for the near future & far future by getting more picks & either Barkley or Griffin then keep Manning for a Yr or two longer then it is one I would think they would consider. Neither come with the must start as Luck does, so that gives Indy the keep Manning & also preserve the future.

The key question here is Barkley & Griffin coming out. Both are top caliber QB prospect so a team like Miami may feel the very same way & not want to give up picks to move up for Luck.

Its could be a bad Yr to have the No. 1 pick if you are wanting to move down because of those two other Qbs also being in the draft.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:19 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
The draft has changed. Because of the rookie scale, I think teams are going to be more willing to reach for players and less willing to trade down, especially if they are looking for a quarterback.
I believe the draft will be more exciting now with the money being lowered. More teams will be willing to move up into the top of the draft. The past X yrs, having the top pick was a bad thing. Now its not.

Rich wrote:
We don't want to trade ourselves out of a top QB prospect, so I don't think it would behoove us to trade down unless it is only a couple of spots. Early teens might be too low.
If Miami cannot land a Qb. Then Blackmon or Jeffery would also look good in a Phins uniform.

I really do not want Miami to win another game. So if they don't. They could end up with the 4 pick of the draft.

Wash has 2 really winnable games left on their schedule. Philly & Minn.

Cleveland has one winnable game left. Ari. Play the Steelers Wk. 17 ( Resting players ? )

The Jags have one really winnable game. Indy.

The Bucs have one winnable game in Car.

Carolina has one winnable game in Tampa. I can also see Carolina beating Houston this week.
Plus in Wk. 17 they play the Saints ( Resting players? )

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:25 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

RG3, welcome to Miami.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:36 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

fonzy wrote:
RG3, welcome to Miami.

I wouldn't rule out Barkley.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:44 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I wholly agree with Rich. The rookie wage scale has completely changed the drafting dynamic. With essentially a "slotting" salary system in the 1st round, there's a lot less risk in reaching for players, or just drafting what you want, when you want it. Unless you completely screw up your 1st round pick (as is done by a couple teams every draft), it's not going to kill you financially like it has in the past for Top 10 picks.

I also think trade values for higher picks will skyrocket. Moving up to grab Sam Bradford at $70M would have stung a little. Moving up to grab a Cam Newton or Andrew Luck at $30M is going to leave a scar. If Luck really turns out to be that "generational" QB, then the scar will be a cool badge of honor. If not, it'll be a hideous disfigurement that people will stare and point at.

I do applaud the regime for making the coaching change now, giving Bowles a chance to show everyone what he can do, and giving the future coach a chance to henpick his QB for the future.

The next Dolphins coach has a real chance to something pretty darn good.

I think we've all waited for it long enough.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:13 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Dphins4me wrote:
Phin wrote:
Indy won't trade that pick away.

Indy needs more than just a QB. With that I can see a scenario where if Barkley, Griffin both come out & Indy likes both & believes they can improve their team more for the near future & far future by getting more picks & either Barkley or Griffin then keep Manning for a Yr or two longer then it is one I would think they would consider. Neither come with the must start as Luck does, so that gives Indy the keep Manning & also preserve the future.

The key question here is Barkley & Griffin coming out. Both are top caliber QB prospect so a team like Miami may feel the very same way & not want to give up picks to move up for Luck.

Its could be a bad Yr to have the No. 1 pick if you are wanting to move down because of those two other Qbs also being in the draft.

Indy and Manning control this draft. If Manning can come back, Indy could trade down and take whichever QB they feel like 'grooming'.

That means the Rams are going to have a lot of suitors for their picking second.

Cleveland may turn out to be the wildcard in this draft. They have two first rounders this year, and if I was Indy, I'd rather have those than say Miami's first this year and next.

Washington is going after a QB, and I wouldn't be suprised if both the Jags and Seattle want to go after a QB. I can also see the cards wanting to play.

If Miami isn't in the top three, we are going to have to trade up to make sure that we are if want our QB. (Assuming they have a strong conviction about barkley and RG3) I would assume they will have to give up at least next years 1st if not our 2nd this year.

Costly, but Miami has to do this and they cannot wait and see who drops to them at 4 thru 8 (depending on our position) This is the year they have to be bold.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:02 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I am convinced that Indy tanked the season for Luck and won't give him up for any package of picks. Why would they? This is the perfect situation for them. The pick is cheaper than previous first picks, the prospect is considered the best QB prospect to have come out in a decade or so, and their star QB is aging and injured. I also believe that Manning is done for good and the Colts know it.

We will have to move up to get Griffin, in all likelihood. I am not sure if that is worth it if Barkley is available. In fact, if we can't get one of these top QB's, then I think we ought to draft to build up the defense and offensive line and let Moore run the team for a year. I don't want us to use a pick for a lesser QB prospect with so many other needs. Add a top pass rusher, a quality safety and some offensive line help and the Dolphins should be able to get their way into the playoffs. Sucks, but I think it makes sense. The Colts aren't trading their pick away and Luck will be that pick.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:41 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

apatos19 wrote:

Indy and Manning control this draft. If Manning can come back, Indy could trade down and take whichever QB they feel like 'grooming'.

That means the Rams are going to have a lot of suitors for their picking second.

Cleveland may turn out to be the wildcard in this draft. They have two first rounders this year, and if I was Indy, I'd rather have those than say Miami's first this year and next.

Washington is going after a QB, and I wouldn't be suprised if both the Jags and Seattle want to go after a QB. I can also see the cards wanting to play.

If Miami isn't in the top three, we are going to have to trade up to make sure that we are if want our QB. (Assuming they have a strong conviction about barkley and RG3) I would assume they will have to give up at least next years 1st if not our 2nd this year.

Costly, but Miami has to do this and they cannot wait and see who drops to them at 4 thru 8 (depending on our position) This is the year they have to be bold.

Jags took a first round QB last year, they shouldnt do it again yet.

The main teams to worry about are Indy, Wash, Clev, and KC. KC and Clev will try to move up ahead of us. I dont know if RG III is a Shanahan QB, so I see him taking Barkley.

Personally I dont care about what it takes, we have been waiting a long time for this, and every year we pass or claim "its too much" to trade away for one guy. And we dont and it sets us back another year...

Move up, take RG III and lets move forward

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:10 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

10acjed wrote:

I have to disagree. Blaine Gabbert has looked awful, I mean Beck circa 2007 with the deer in the head lights look. I'm usually the preacher of patience, but I haven't read a single person who hasn't said the guy looks about as bad as you can get and has zero pocket presence.

Its possible the Jags just try to sign a vet and let Gabbert sit for a year or two, but if you lose faith in his ability you need to move on, especially when you don't have 30 million guaranteed to him. The new rookie wage scale is much more helpful in getting rid of mistakes. If they see a franchise guy in Griffin, Barkley or even Jones then I think they wouldn't hesitate to pull trigger.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:45 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Surely one of these Qb's are gonna be there when we pick. At some point the franchise guy has to be there for us because other teams will have done their due diligence and have already found their prospect. One thing drafts has showed us is that their is no such thing as a sure thing but it is time to pull the trigger on get a guy in the first round.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:54 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

You can't find a franchise guy if you don't look for one...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:11 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

10acjed wrote:
New coach has no ties to Gabbert. Can't ask a new coach to put his neck in the noose with a QB he is not wanting.

jammer wrote:
I have to disagree. Blaine Gabbert has looked awful, I mean Beck circa 2007 with the deer in the head lights look. I'm usually the preacher of patience, but I haven't read a single person who hasn't said the guy looks about as bad as you can get and has zero pocket presence.
A trade might be in order if the new coach wants one of the rookies.. They have no Wr nor true pass catching TE or RB to help out a rookie Qb & he got very little work in the offseason & then the surprise release of Garrard.

jammer wrote:
Its possible the Jags just try to sign a vet and let Gabbert sit for a year or two, but if you lose faith in his ability you need to move on, especially when you don't have 30 million guaranteed to him. The new rookie wage scale is much more helpful in getting rid of mistakes.
Might be a place Henne shows up.

jammer wrote:
If they see a franchise guy in Griffin, Barkley or even Jones then I think they wouldn't hesitate to pull trigger.
New coach needs his Qb. If Gabbert is not going to be it, then yes I see no reason why they would stick with Gabbert. The new owner will not care how much the previous owner paid Gabbert in up front money.

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]