View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ] 
 Ryan Clark in for interview 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Ryan Clark in for interview
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/07/ryan-clark-arrives-for-visit-in-miami/

Quote:
Ryan Clark arrives for visit in Miami
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 7, 2010 7:12 PM ET

Steelers free safety Ryan Clark arrived in Miami Sunday evening, according to Jeff Darlington of the Miami Herald.

``There were a lot of good offers, and a lot of good fits," Clark said upon arrival. "But this seems like a good spot. So I'm praying it goes well."

Clark says he chose his first visit carefully, and hope he doesn't make another.

"That's the reason we waited so long to take any [free agent] trips," Clark said. "We had interested teams that I didn't really want to go to, and I didn't want to try to make myself look busy by going to a bunch of different places."

I'm not much of a Ryan Clark fan, but at least we're looking..

Last edited by joeschmoe on Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:39 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Ryan Clark in for interview
First and only stop... Cool, give him a little salary for 2 years and see what he does...

I dont mnd average players Joe, as long as they make averege $...

I do think its foolish we wasted that money on Wilson last year, let Hill go to Denver cause at 30 he was "too old" and now we are interviewing a guy thats 30 to fill an open Safety position...

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:54 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Things that make you go hmmm
huh?

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:21 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

hm, i would rather have atogwe but i know that this guy is pretty talented... im sure bill parcells will konw what to do

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:41 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

A cheap stop gap if you ask me

and if its not cheap then its not for us

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:48 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

should dolphins bring back chris chambers

Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Boy has two rings already. I know he looks good back there next to Troy, but we all know how "good" that D is without Troy. Short term stop gap at best.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:11 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

i dont understand why everyone is down on him, he is a big upgrade over Wilson, he lead the steelers last yr w/ 110 solo tackles and had 3 int..tying for team lead w/ Polamalu.. im all for it i think he will do good. :yay:

Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:43 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Phin wrote:
Things that make you go hmmm
huh?

I agree....hmmm

This has got "another bad free agent signing" all over it. Man, I hope I can eat these words but I think Clark will fall into the list with Wilford and the rest

Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:02 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I would prefer O.J Atogwe, but Ryan Clark is a good football player and a hellacious hitter as Willis MaGahee can attest.

Hopefully if Clark is signed he falls into the Randy Starks, Jake Grove, Cameron Wake and Justin Smiley free agents instead of the Ernest Wilford and Gibril Wilson version of free agents Miami has signed.

I think Chris Clemons is still a little raw and needs some work still, but he has the physical skills you like. Tyrone Culver is a nice option at FS as well, so Miami does have a few young players that can be developed behind Clark if he is signed.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:02 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Hatecrewadb wrote:
i dont understand why everyone is down on him, he is a big upgrade over Wilson, he lead the steelers last yr w/ 110 solo tackles and had 3 int..tying for team lead w/ Polamalu.. im all for it i think he will do good. :yay:

Troy Polamalu was injured most of the season. Clark can hit, but that was gerbil's thing too. We don't need another tackler, we need a guy who can cover and create turnovers. If we were to bring in Atogwe our secondary would take a huge step forward. I would rather have a QB scared to throw the ball than have a WR scared to catch the ball.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:19 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

I see a lot of guys giving opinions without knowing what they are talking about regarding Ryan Clark.

He is a top 20 safety in the NFL. Profootballfocus.com ranks him the 18th best safety in the NFL (although they did rank Gibril Wilson 15th). Now that doesn't put him in elite category, but certainly good enough to shore up our deep secondary. He had 89 tackles last season and 3 INTs with 8 passes defensed. He is a knockout hitter over the middle and a stable last line of defense for the Steelers defense according to Scouts, Inc.

This isn't a guy who just got cut by the Raiders a year after signing for a multimillion dollar deal. He is a guy who has been with the Steelers for 4 seasons.

He allowed 38.5% of the passes thrown his way to be completed and 1 TD all year. QBs that throw into his coverage area have a rating of 36.2.

Granted the Steelers pressure helps those stats, but you will find that to be the case with any safety.

I would like the move. He is a definite upgrade over Wilson.

Last edited by Rich on Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:44 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
I'd rather have a QB afraid to throw the ball than a WR afraid to catch it

There's a quotable quote for you! Ideally of course you'd rather have both, but that's a great point.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:47 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
I see a lot of guys giving opinions without knowing what they are talking about regarding Ryan Clark.

He is a top 20 safety in the NFL. Now that doesn't put him in elite category, but certainly good enough to shore up our deep secondary. He had 110 tackles last season and 3 INTs. He is a knockout hitter over the middle and a stable last line of defense for the Steelers defense.

I don't disagree that he's a major upgrade, Rich, but do his stats rank him top 20? It all depends who's doing the measuring... one breakdown had Gibril ranked top 20, and we all know how that was... :hithead:

Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:50 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

upgrade for sure, and we will have more pressure on QB's this season.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:11 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I would not mind the move. I think bringing in a guy with the attitude and mentality of the Steelers defense is not a bad thing. Maybe he can teach Sean Smith how to put his head down and lay out some WR/RB's. I believe we are going to draft a young guy anyway, but I doesn't hurt to have a veteran to guide the rest of our players. Besides like they quoted before, Clark has 2 rings, so he knows what it takes to be a champion. Not a bad thing to have trickleing around our locker room.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:52 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

The one thing that I think is a plus for Ryan is that he is part of an aggressive 3-4 scheme featured by Pittsburgh. Mike Nolan is a very aggressive DC and he does a good bit of blitzing with his system out of the 3-4 as well.

I would think Nolan would have some say so in personnel that would best fit what he wants to do, and perhaps Ryan is a better fit for what he wants to do.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:55 am
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

phinsfansc wrote:
The one thing that I think is a plus for Ryan is that he is part of an aggressive 3-4 scheme featured by Pittsburgh. Mike Nolan is a very aggressive DC and he does a good bit of blitzing with his system out of the 3-4 as well.

I would think Nolan would have some say so in personnel that would best fit what he wants to do, and perhaps Ryan is a better fit for what he wants to do.

Sounds like clark has/had others after him. I don't see him leaving now. He sounds like this might be his only interview. He's as good as ours.

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:22 am
Profile YIM

k-dash wrote:
I don't disagree that he's a major upgrade, Rich, but do his stats rank him top 20?

That depends on which stat you consider the most important.

Are you looking for a guy who gets a lot of tackles and picks or are you looking for a guy that effectively prevents the deep pass play.

To me, the free safety is your last line of defense and therefore stopping the big pass play is his top priority.

Clark only allowed one deep pass play all season long.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:32 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Told you so..... :ann0y:

What a Clark signing would do, is not only give us a starting caliber FS, but if God forbid YB gets hurt, Clark can move over to SS.

The thing about bringing in Atogwe would be that we would have 3 pure FS's. With Clark, you have 3 FS's, and 2 SS's, essentially.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:31 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Like I have always said , "Give Culver a shot" he earned it !

Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:56 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

LA Fins Fan wrote:
Like I have always said , "Give Culver a shot" he earned it !

I think Culver is a great depth player, but not starting material. There are far too many great WRs we have to face to not bring in a great safety, especially with the youth we have at cb.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:59 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

PFT wrote:
"We had interested teams that I didn't really want to go to, and I didn't want to try to make myself look busy by going to a bunch of different places."

I like his analytical mind. He's looking for a place where he can excel at.

Why do some of you think he'll be gotten "cheap"?

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:18 am
Profile WWW

Rich wrote:

He is a top 20 safety in the NFL. Profootballfocus.com ranks him the 18th best safety in the NFL (although they did rank Gibril Wilson 15th). Now that doesn't put him in elite category, but certainly good enough to shore up our deep secondary. He had 89 tackles last season and 3 INTs with 8 passes defensed. He is a knockout hitter over the middle and a stable last line of defense for the Steelers defense according to Scouts, Inc.

This isn't a guy who just got cut by the Raiders a year after signing for a multimillion dollar deal. He is a guy who has been with the Steelers for 4 seasons.

He allowed 38.5% of the passes thrown his way to be completed and 1 TD all year. QBs that throw into his coverage area have a rating of 36.2.

Granted the Steelers pressure helps those stats, but you will find that to be the case with any safety.

I would like the move. He is a definite upgrade over Wilson.

To back-up Rich's point, the only safety that was better out in coverage in 09 was Sharper...

Clark's QB rating-against was 36.2, while Gibril's was 94.7.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:35 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Fins "hot on the trail of former Steelers safety Ryan Clark"
Source: http://cbs4.com/sports/ryan.clark.dolph ... 45069.html

Quote:
MIAMI (CBS4) ―
The Miami Dolphins struck early in free agency landing arguably the best player available in linebacker Karlos Dansby. Immediately after that, the Fins turned their attention to the safety position and the team is now hot on the trail of former Steelers safety Ryan Clark.

Clark arrived in Fort Lauderdale Sunday night and the Fins hope he doesn't leave the team's facility in Davie without a signed contract. The 30-year-old safety was undrafted out of LSU, but became a force as he teamed with All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu for the Steelers.

Didn't see this posted. I am glad we are going after someone in free agency since we do not have a starting FS as of right now. I still prefer Sharper though.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:55 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Fins "hot on the trail of former Steelers safety Ryan Clark"
See this thread:
http://www.phinfever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=621

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:06 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Ryan Clark Deal Likely To Be Finalized By Monday Afternoon!
Big Hitters. That seems to the be theme of this year's Miami Dolphins offseason. Steelers big hitter Ryan Clark interviewed with the Miami Dolphins this evening and is expected to sign a contract within the next 24 hours. Sources have told me there is a slight differential in desired years per Clark but Miami is willing to budge with a reasonable asking price.
Former Dolphin FS Gibril Wilson, 2009's biggest offseason bust for the team, was released recently leaving a position void for Clark to fill.

Ryan Clark, considered one of free agency's top safeties on the market, has been considerably quiet. According to Clark, Miami is the reason he's stayed put for a while.

http://slumz.boxden.com/f16/dolphins...orrow-1349418/

The link confirms what the one on thee top says, Clark should be signed and delivered by tommorrow. Has some numbers on the contract expected.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... oon/23090/

So we have our safety...bar any drastic changes but im very excited great sign I beleive! :yay:

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:07 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Add to that that Pitt has Signed Will Allen (of Tampa Bay) and it seems a sure thing

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:15 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Isn't Ryan Clark the same player as Yeramiah Bell? With those 2 in the secondary we have 2 SS. We need a FS that plays the ball has speed get interceptions and possibly take it to the house.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:45 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

MdDolfan wrote:
Isn't Ryan Clark the same player as Yeramiah Bell? With those 2 in the secondary we have 2 SS. We need a FS that plays the ball has speed get interceptions and possibly take it to the house.

no there diffrent guys... :ann0y:

Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:12 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

he re-signed with pit

Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:29 pm

Project86JLL13 wrote:
he re-signed with pit

:boo:

Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:31 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Steelers-resign-Ryan-Clark.html

haha....whoops

Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:33 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

:jests: :angry: :jests: :angry: :jests: :angry: :jests: :angry:

Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:38 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Burnt. That hole seems bigger now. Theres not much left out there. Let Berry fall to 5 or 6 & trade up

Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:45 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Wasnt Ryan praising the Dolphins and said he wants to be a Dolphin fer sure....Oh, he must have saw the new owners (Williams sisters, J lo and Fergie). And said, Ahhh, no thanks !!!

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:35 am

LA Fins Fan wrote:

Wasnt Ryan praising the Dolphins and said he wants to be a Dolphin fer sure....Oh, he must have saw the new owners (Williams sisters, J lo and Fergie). And said, Ahhh, no thanks !!!

He used the Dolphins as leverage to resign with the Steelers and I don't blame him. Good move on his part.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:54 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
LA Fins Fan wrote:

He used the Dolphins as leverage to resign with the Steelers and I don't blame him. Good move on his part.

True, a good move on his part(Clark). Not so nice feeling for the Dolphins though!

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]