View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Fins aren't convinced RG Donald Thomas is long-term solution 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Fins aren't convinced RG Donald Thomas is long-term solution
Maybe we shoudl have kept Rex Hadnot ... was available this offseason.

Barry Jackson wrote:
The Dolphins aren't convinced Donald Thomas -- who had trouble blocking on the move -- is a long-term solution at right guard. Miami was impressed by Nate Garner, who replaced Thomas as a starter in mid-December, but he also has value as a multiposition backup. Miami likes left guard Justin Smiley, who was solid but hasn't played a full season since 2006, when he was with the 49ers.

Miami Herald

Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:52 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Fins aren't convinced RG Donald Thomas is long-term solution
I remember doing a lot of praising for him. I've seen the guy stand up TWO DT's by himself (Houston) and hold his ground. Inconsitent as all get out though. Sad. If he could fix one little area up, he is so good at the rest.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:17 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Basically last year was Thomas's rookie year. He was raw coming out of college. Given him some time to learn & grow. I hope Miami does not give up on him so quickly.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:37 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Dphins4me wrote:
Basically last year was Thomas's rookie year. He was raw coming out of college. Given him some time to learn & grow. I hope Miami does not give up on him so quickly.

I don't think they will give up.. But, it's definitely smart to bring in some competition to push him. IE: Incognito.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think having good depth and rotation is more important than having a full time "solution". Reason for that is that guys will get injured, it's just part of the game, and even if they make it the whole year, it's great to have a guy come in and give a guard a breather from mauling a DT or linebacker and bring in someone fresh to beat up on him.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:06 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

hypocritex wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

I don't think they will give up.. But, it's definitely smart to bring in some competition to push him. IE: Incognito.

I agree. I still think Donald Thomas is a future star in this league. He's got all the talent in the world; kind of like Merling, if he can just become a little more consistent, and shore up the details....wow.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He has a tremendous amount of raw power. Even for that position. I think it's the skill he is lacking. Pretty sure that can be tought. Like I said, he took on the entire interior line of Houston by himself and didn't move an inch. That says something.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:12 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I think it would be a good thing if Miami could bring in Richie Incognito-besides having one of the coolest names in football-he is a tough mauling NFL guard with a lot of experience. I think this team is doing a good job of letting everyone know that no job is safe and that if you don't produce you are gonna be hitting the bricks. Even if Incognito or Garner don't unseat Thomas just there presence could push to be an All-Pro!

Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]