View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 I still want McClain! 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post I still want McClain!
After the signing of Karlos Dansby it seems that many people think we are secure at ILB. I disagree because Dansby is the present and McClain is the future. I feel that getting Dansby should not change our focus on the draft especially with a talent like McClain. He ran in the 4.6 at his pro day and measured at 6'4" 259lbs. We all know his football brain, the kid was the leader of the best defense in college football for the past 3 years starting at 18yrs old. He is only 20yrs old right now. I say we take McClain in the 1st, hopefully Hughes in the 2nd or Cody and the best available OLB with the 3rd. If our FO does it's homework a truely gifted WR can be had in the 4th round.

Ok go ahead and disagree with me..... :ann0y:

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:24 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: I still want McClain!
Why draft a player for the future with #12 rather than a player that will come in and fill a hole and make an impact right now?

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:33 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

MdDolfan wrote:
After the signing of Karlos Dansby it seems that many people think we are secure at ILB. I disagree because Dansby is the present and McClain is the future. I feel that getting Dansby should not change our focus on the draft especially with a talent like McClain. He ran in the 4.6 at his pro day and measured at 6'4" 259lbs. We all know his football brain, the kid was the leader of the best defense in college football for the past 3 years starting at 18yrs old. He is only 20yrs old right now. I say we take McClain in the 1st, hopefully Hughes in the 2nd or Cody and the best available OLB with the 3rd. If our FO does it's homework a truely gifted WR can be had in the 4th round.

I like what your proposed plan does for our defense... but I think leaving the glaring hole at receiver to chance in the 4th round is not gonna be enough to get this offense over the hump. Its likely going to take someone better than a 4th rounder to fix our deficiencies in the passing game.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:47 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

You can get a thumper like Micah Johnson, the ILB out of Kentucky in the 5th or 6th round.

The pick for Miami at #12 right now has to be a NT, OLB or WR.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:48 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

joeschmoe wrote:
Why draft a player for the future with #12 rather than a player that will come in and fill a hole and make an impact right now?

because he is more than just a player, i think he is going to be something special and i hope our FO feels the same way. who do you want to see them take?

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:59 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

MdDolfan wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:

because he is more than just a player, i think he is going to be something special and i hope our FO feels the same way. who do you want to see them take?

I personally would like to see them trade to the bottom of the 1st and get another pick and draft one of the NT's, or get Dan Williams with 12 if we have to. Or an OLB, but I think NT has to be top priority.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:20 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I am staying with my choice of Cody or Williams....

McClain was there, but his position isnt such a need.. I think Crowder & Dansby will compliment each other in style (at least I hope so)

Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:39 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

MdDolfan wrote:

Do you mean to draft McClain and move Crowder outside? Interesting idea.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:49 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Big Dave wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:

Do you mean to draft McClain and move Crowder outside? Interesting idea.

yeah, considering he only has 2.5 sacks in 5 years.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:53 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

McClain is the absolute pick that we cannot pass on. I've said it before and I'll say it again. McClain is a well rounded LINEBACKER. I emphasize the word LINEBACKER because to be quite honest with you he could actually play all four LB positions. It would be to our advantage if he could line up with Dansby, Crowder and hopefully JT. Putting McClain as an OLB wouldn't be a bad idea because he has that rare ability and knowledge to really make things disruptive on the edge and in coverage.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

joeschmoe wrote:

Why would you assume he can't make an impact right now?

ILB is one of the few positions where guys can come in and make an impact right away. Add to that he played in an NFL-style 3-4 defense under Saban, and I think it's a no-brainer. If he is available at 12, and there isn't a guy who simply fell to us who should have been picked much higher, you take him.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

eleaf wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:

ILB is one of the few positions where guys can come in and make an impact right away. Add to that he played in an NFL-style 3-4 defense under Saban, and I think it's a no-brainer. If he is available at 12, and there isn't a guy who simply fell to us who should have been picked much higher, you take him.

I didn't say that he couldn't make an impact right now, I'm sure that he can. I was referring to what the OP said about drafting him for the future. Come to think of it, perhaps we draft McClain and end up trading Crowder for picks, I'd be fine with that. But in our current situation I think we have too many holes to draft a ILB in the first.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:35 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

joeschmoe wrote:
eleaf wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:

I didn't say that he couldn't make an impact right now, I'm sure that he can. I was referring to what the OP said about drafting him for the future. Come to think of it, perhaps we draft McClain and end up trading Crowder for picks, I'd be fine with that. But in our current situation I think we have too many holes to draft a ILB in the first.

That's exactly the scenario I was hoping for! Maybe one of the bottom half teams like the Rams, Browns or Bucs would have interest in Crowder and be willing to give up a 4th or 5th rounder. I've watched Crowder since his rookie year and his playmaking ability has decreased every year. I don't know that statistically but look at our Defense and who on it will an Offense have to gameplan for?........NOBODY! Maybe Dansby now but for all the money we paid that guy he NEVER made the Pro Bowl. I just believe if we don't pick McClain we will regret it for the next 10 years.

I also wanted to post the mock draft from walter football.com, they have us taking the S from South Florida with our 2nd round pick.
http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2010_2.php

Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:16 pm
2011 NFL Survival Champ
2011 NFL Survival Champ

joeschmoe wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:

I personally would like to see them trade to the bottom of the 1st and get another pick and draft one of the NT's, or get Dan Williams with 12 if we have to. Or an OLB, but I think NT has to be top priority.

my sentiments exact, as even though 12 may be kinda high for any of the NT's available, we can ill afford to have a glaring hole at NT come opening day. I'd rather over pay for a NT and stand a chance to field a good team rather than play Russian-roulette and draft a BPA and hope the center piece of any functional 34 defense just happens to fall to us later. ideal situation is McClain is there at 12 and somebody is wanting him bad enough to move up for him and we can move back somewhere's around #17-20 and pick up a dan williams or terrance cody there for less and end up with an extra pick in a deep draft

Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:23 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

MdDolfan wrote:
... have interest in Crowder and be willing to give up a 4th or 5th rounder.

Sorry, Crowder isn't bad in the middle and he signed a salary cap friendly contract for a starting ILB. I would not be for giving him away.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:05 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I must say I didnt follow him too much through out the year, but after watching video of him and his pro day....this kid is a beast. He is also a lot bigger than I thought. He moves around to freely and comfortable for his size. I dont want to call him the next Patrick Willis, but he seems to be a pretty special kid. I hate to talk about the SEC cuz Im a canes fan, but he did play against top notch competition week in and week out. Wouldnt mind seeing him in the ole aqua and orange.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:26 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Big Dave wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:
... have interest in Crowder and be willing to give up a 4th or 5th rounder.

Sorry, Crowder isn't bad in the middle and he signed a salary cap friendly contract for a starting ILB. I would not be for giving him away.

I agree with you but the fact that all you could say about Crowder was "isn't bad in the middle" is a problem. ILB needs to be our strength on defense. The Steelers are the cream of the crop when it comes to a 3-4 D and they have 4 outstanding LB's.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:08 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

It's not going to happen now, fellas. The Broncos just released their starting ILB (Andra Davis). I am sure they are targeting McClain.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Big Dave wrote:
It's not going to happen now, fellas. The Broncos just released their starting ILB (Andra Davis). I am sure they are targeting McClain.

How funny would it be if McClain were snatched up right before the broncos picked, leaving McDaniels dumbfounded. That guy's arrogance kills me.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

All the more likely Dez Bryant is there at #12 then.....will the Dolphins actually try to get a playmaker on offense????

Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:02 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
All the more likely Dez Bryant is there at #12 then.....will the Dolphins actually try to get a playmaker on offense????

What's the big deal with Dez Bryant? He had one good year.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yes and that one year was a great year, not a good year and had he not got suspended, he would have had back to back great years.

87 Catches for 1480 Yards and 19 Touchdowns at the Division One level as a Wide Out is pretty darn impressive. I think there is a reason there is so much buzz about this kids talent.

It isnt his skills being questioned, it is his maturity level. This kid is a beast on the field.

YEAR REC YDS AVG LNG TD ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
2007 43 622 14.5 39 6 2 16 8.0 9 0 0 0
2008 87 1480 17.0 80 19 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
2009 17 323 19.0 46 4 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
Oklahoma State.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He was held to no catches against Missouri State. Against a good defense in Texas he had no TD's and 6 catches. He got his TD's in bundles against bad defenses, his most coming from an ISU team that didn't win a single conference game...he grabbed 4 scores.
Not all that impressive, and his inconsistency is worse than Ginn's in college...and we saw how that transferred over.
So add that into his prima donna and immature attitude along with the fact that he hasn't done anything performance wise since September of last year I would think this guy isn't even worthy of a 1st round grade let alone a top 15 pick.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]