View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Can Dan Williams make an impact at NT like Vince Wilfork? 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Can Dan Williams make an impact at NT like Vince Wilfork?
The more I look at Miami and what they will do with the 12th pick overall, has me leaning more and more towards not being surprised if they select Dan Williams NT out of Tennessee.

It is not a glamourous first round pick, that's for sure, but everything I read about this guy tells me he hogs up the middle and usually takes two would be tacklers out of the equation.

Personally, I would still like to see Dez Bryant, but a couple years back when they selected Jake Long, I was clammering for Chris Long because he seemed to be the more high profiled impact player, however, what a smart pick with Jake Long who will anchor our line for years to come and I almost wonder if Dan Williams can serve the same purpose that Vince Wilfork does for New England as our defense has got to improve and unless there is a 2nd or later round NT that they are targeting, I just wonder if Williams is way above anyone else at NT for this draft.

Thoughts anyone??

Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:43 pm
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host

Post Re: Can Dan Williams make an impact at NT like Vince Wilfork?
Well, I put him at #12 to Miami in my mock draft, so I believe Dan can be the man to provide Miami with the play they need from the NT position.

He been a premier player the last 2 years for the Vols in the nation best conference, his last year playing under Monte Kiffin. He has the idea build for a NT, not to tall at 6'3, 327 lbs with a wide, big base in regards to his hips and legs. He has good power in his upper body as he did 27 reps at 225 lbs and ran a 5.16 40 at 327 lbs.

Here is a breif write up from WalterFootball.com. and cbssportsline.com.

Dan Williams, Tennessee - Scouting Report
Height: 6-2. Weight: 327.
Projected 40 Time: 5.25.
Combine 40 Time: 5.17.
Benchx225: 27. Vertical: .
Projected Round (2009): Top 15 Pick.
11/28/09: Dominant at the line of scrimmage this season, Dan Williams has 56 tackles, 8.5 TFL and two sacks in 11 games. With more teams switching to the 3-4, nose tackles are in high demand, so Williams could sneak into the first round.

2/14/09: Dan Williams registered 48 tackle, 8.5 TFL and 1.5 sacks in 2008.

8/1/08: Dan Williams started 10 games as a sophomore, and collected 40 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss and two sacks.

Overview

The addition of Lane and Monte Kiffin was supposed to unleash the playmaking ability of back-seven defenders Eric Berry and Rico McCoy. Williams, however, proved the true beneficiary in the defensive interior.

The massive space-eater inside entered his senior campaign with 19 career starts and averaging 44 tackles the previous two seasons. He was viewed as a potential mid-round pick. However, Williams quickly developed into one of the SEC's most feared big men, registering 61 tackles over the regular season to lead all conference linemen.

Possessing a combination of great strength and burst to project nicely at defensive tackle or on the nose, Williams may only have to convince scouts that his senior campaign wasn't a fluke to rank among the elite in what some believe is an historic class of interior defensive linemen.
Analysis

Pass rush: Relies on good to very good power as a bull rusher to collapse the pocket. Uses a swim move effectively, but lacks the burst and lateral agility to be a consistent factor in the pass rush. Works hard, but has only phone booth quickness. Requires an open lane to close. Alert defender that gets his hands up in the passing lanes.

Run defense: Greatest asset to the defense due to his build, strength and ability to locate the football. Good burst off the snap to explode into the offensive lineman. Tough to move off the line of scrimmage, as he naturally sprawls his feet, keeps his pads low and has the upper-body strength to hold up even to double-teams. Strong hands and an effective swim move to disengage. Natural candidate to move to nose guard. Keeps his head up and finds the ball. Only phone booth quickness, but hustles laterally and even downfield in pursuit.

Explosion: Good initial burst off the snap. Good upper-body strength to shock his opponent and quickly separate. Needs a lane to gather momentum and provide a big hit, but can deliver a jarring blow when he gets one.

Strength: Arguably his best trait. Low center of gravity due to a thick, wide lower body which helps in the leverage battle up front. Good use of hands and good upper-body strength to stack and shed in the running game. Relies on his strength as a bull rusher to collapse the pocket from the interior. Slides off blocks to make the play at or near the line of scrimmage.

Tackling: Enough strength to slow and even pull down some runners with one arm as he remains engaged with the blocker. Brings his weight with him as a hitter, resulting in some big collisions. Provides enough pop that he doesn't have to wrap up to knock down most ballcarriers, but improved in doing so as a senior. Good vision to locate the ball and can redirect surprisingly well at his size. Hustles laterally and downfield to make the tackle from behind.

Intangibles: Re-dedicated himself after the hiring of Lane Kiffin. Was moved to the nose and his draft stock "skyrocketed" as a senior. Was characterized by Monte Kiffin as a "undrafted free agent" based on film before the 2009 season … Has struggled maintaining his weight in the past. Has been as heavy as 357 pounds and ballooned to over 340 during the off-season last year. Played at 320-325 this season … Majored in legal studies and has aspirations to be a lawyer after his football career is over.

I still think it could get very interesting if Dan and Dez Bryant are still on the board, but I certainly would be happy and understand the pick if it is Dan Williams.

Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:16 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Can Dan Williams make an impact at NT like Vince Wilfork?
im a big Vols fan, guy can play. would rather have b marshall though haha

Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]