Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: My draft thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:01 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well, we'll suck less, but we'll still suck. I am not drinking the "Retire 17" Kool Aid. The team is still riddled with holes and the entire offense will stall w/o a big play WR. Right now I put us at 4th, with an outside chance of 3rd in the division.

Post subject: Re: My draft thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:35 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

We are all entitled to our own opinion. I hope we made an improvement on our team. It will only be told with time. Funny how this retire 17 thing has taken off but Ross should feel optimistic I suppose. Hope for the best and expect the worse. IMO draft not to bad! Time will tell. Lets go Dolphins!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:29 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I disagree. Our team is not even close to being complete. I'll wait until mid-preseason to make such predictions. But right now I definitely feel like this team is headed in the right direction. We currently have 2 solid veteran QBs and one potential star in the making, we have a young promising o-line, a dynamic player in Bush to go along with 2 young RBs with promise, one of the best pass rushers in the league (Wake), 2 Pro-Bowl run stuffers (Soliai and Starks), a LB that can do everything (Dansby), a stud CB (Vontae), and 2 solid WRs in Bess and Hartline.

As of now, our biggest weakness is the secondary. Will Sean Smith step it up? Who will win the starting safeties spots and will they be difference makers? Who will win the starting RG position (I don't see the "Sparano musical chairs of bouncing players around here, I see stability). Who will be the the playmaking WR? Will Olivier Vernon be the answer opposite of Wake? Who will be Dansby's sidekicks and will they be efficient in covering the dangerous TEs in the league?

Those are the questions. But overall, I don't see any major weakness on this team other than safety and possibly wide receiver. I think Hartline can develop into the next Jordy Nelson. The safety spot is the one I'm most concerned about and as well as the nickel corner position.

Those are some of my thoughts.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:53 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

All Brian Hartline does is get open and make plays and the same with Davone Bess and with the West Coast Offense, you don't necessarily have a disadvantage by not having some all world wide receiver with all the timing patterns in this system, now don't get me wrong, getting an upgrade at the Dolphins receiver spot is still the plan, but I am also excited to see if Gates or Wallace breaks out this year as well. I think some folks are high on Julius Pruitt from the practice squad too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:02 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Ski_Money wrote:
Well, we'll suck less, but we'll still suck. I am not drinking the "Retire 17" Kool Aid. The team is still riddled with holes and the entire offense will stall w/o a big play WR. Right now I put us at 4th, with an outside chance of 3rd in the division.

Well, the team is riddled with holes if this were still Sparano's team. This isn't... As to Tanny, let's see his first play before we put in him Canton... At any rate, the kid has the potential to become a franchise type guy. Whether he does or not only time will tell. I'm not going to knock Ireland and the fins because of the changes in both the offensive and defensive schemes... Let's at least see what they are doing before you crucify them...

And as to 'sucking less', did you really think that the draft would suddenly put us in close competition with the pasties ?? That 6-10 last year was about where most of us thought we'd be. But until we see what the staff puts together, it's impossible to predict next season...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:58 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:

Me too, buddy. Until Miami proves they can put a winning product onto the field, I'm skeptical.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:34 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

does anybody even know where the SB bus is?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:18 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Ski_Money wrote:
does anybody even know where the SB bus is?

Im just inflating the tires to ensure a safe ride.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:22 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Ski_Money wrote:

I'm not sure this team is as riddled with holes as you think. All of this of course is just on paper, but outside of receiver where is the major hole?

Everything is simply on paper right now because we don't know how injury, idiocy and cap casualties will effect the team over the summer. Outside of receiver and safety question marks, what on this team keeps you up at night with worry? Everyone they drafted in rounds 2-4 can have immediate impacts if they stay healthy.

I'm not buying the Jets or Buffalo, at all. I don't think either team has a QB better than Moore or Garrard. We saw what happened in Miami when the team loses faith in its QB and how that impacts the performance of everyone. The Jets are probably the biggest question mark in the division because of that.

I honestly think its a crap shoot between Miami, Buffalo and NY to finish 2nd behind NE should NE not suffer any major injuries and lose its grip on being the lead horse.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:48 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

jammer wrote:
I honestly think its a crap shoot between Miami, Buffalo and NY to finish 2nd behind NE should NE not suffer any major injuries and lose its grip on being the lead horse.

I agree with this... our roster compares with NY and Buffalo, but we're not in NE's league yet. I hope that our latest draft helps us pull closer to that goal, but until we see them play it's impossible to know.

As for major holes; S, WR, the right side of the OL (until proven otherwise), and a 2nd pass rusher are my biggest concerns. But let's be clear; the draft MAY have solved some of those problems. We'll see.

It's also important to remember that the Pats have major holes as well, until proven otherwise. What they have is an elite QB that helps cover up those holes. We have the hope that an (eventually) elite QB is now on our roster, but time will tell.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:59 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

To me the biggest question mark going into the new season is Philbin. Will he become a successful head coach or is this just the second coming of Cam Cameron ?

I am hopeful he'll bring stability to the Dolphins, but we're just going to have to wait and see.

Successful teams start with the owner, the GM, and the head coach. Miami's fall from the elite has been because they suffered in all three areas.

Huizenga made bad personal decisions. JJ wasn't committed for the long haul. Wannstedt was a good
field general but a horrible judge of talent, he choose a CB over Drew Brees. Saban could have worked but he missed the college game. Cam Cameron was awful on the field and at drafting players. Sparano simply wasn't good enough.

Miami's future begins with Ross,Ireland and Philbin. So far, I am cautiously optimistic.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:21 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

gatorphin wrote:
To me the biggest question mark going into the new season is Philbin. Will he become a successful head coach or is this just the second coming of Cam Cameron ?

I totally agree. It doesn't matter who is on the roster, a bad head coach will screw it up quickly. I am FAR more hopeful with Philbin than I ever was about Cameron, but only time will tell.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:44 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
Ski_Money wrote:

Me too, buddy. Until Miami proves they can put a winning product onto the field, I'm skeptical.

Patience fellas, all good things will come with time. Ireland is finally working without that giant Parcells shadow lurking over him. Philbin, Sherman, and Coyle are all going to be working overtime to set up this new team. We shouldn't expect another miracle season like we had in Tony's first year, but I don't think it's out of the question that we could improve our record this year even if Tannehill winds up as the starter. We've got a lot of good pieces and a group of coaches with Super Bowl rings. I think the core of what we're building is a solid one. It might take a season or two to develop, but when we get this thing built I think it will be something that can last.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:15 am 

I just hope this season is not like Sparano's first. What I mean is just like that season the schedule is very favorable , leading to a decent record , leading to false assessment of the team , leading back to reality in the following seasons.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:26 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

FINesse wrote:
I just hope this season is not like Sparano's first. What I mean is just like that season the schedule is very favorable , leading to a decent record , leading to false assessment of the team , leading back to reality in the following seasons.

Sparanos first season had an actual team leader behind center who played a big part in that years success as well as the wildcat which had us shock the football world by going into NE and whooping them badly. We rode that wave of confidence through the season.
Not that Moore isnt a leader, its just that he is no Pennington when it comes to managing an offense.

What I hope to see change is whatever it was that caused this team to start so slow each year under the previous staff. Going 0 - 2 or 0 - 3 out of the gate is tough

I could care less about SOS, I think of teams that barely make the playoffs and then go deep into them. Thats where good coaching comes into play...

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]