Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:40 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... est-chance
Quote:
Ireland said there's no plan when Tannehill is going to play, at least not yet. He pointed out to the practice fields from his office and told King, "Out there is where we're going to find out about Ryan Tannehill, Matt Moore and David Garrard."

Ireland hit the nail on the head. Nobody will know what we've got in Tannehill until he gets on the field and starts competing. He might take the job in camp. He might struggle and need a season on the bench. We'll just have to wait and see once the bullets start flying in camp.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:55 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He needs Clyde Gates and Charles Clay badly to make up for all the missed opportunities to grab big play makers.

Cuz if those guys don't pan out, here's what we're looking at for starters from Ireland's drafts (I'm counting the years Parcells was around, argue if you want):
2008:
Jake Long (final year, coming off injury)
2009:
Vontae Davis (hasn't made a full year, on and off)
Sean Smith (flashes but no consistency)
2010:
Jared Odrick
Koa Misi
2011:
Mike Pouncey

6 starters out of 32 picks. And for all intents and purposes, Koa Misi could be on his way out if he doesn't perform either.

Green Bay has had 37 picks, 10 starters since 2008. Nearly double the success rate.

But again, if Gates and Clay step up and then you get a few guys from this draft doing some things, Ireland sits well.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:33 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
He needs Clyde Gates and Charles Clay badly to make up for all the missed opportunities to grab big play makers.

Cuz if those guys don't pan out, here's what we're looking at for starters from Ireland's drafts (I'm counting the years Parcells was around, argue if you want):
2008:
Jake Long (final year, coming off injury)
2009:
Vontae Davis (hasn't made a full year, on and off)
Sean Smith (flashes but no consistency)
2010:
Jared Odrick
Koa Misi
2011:
Mike Pouncey

6 starters out of 32 picks. And for all intents and purposes, Koa Misi could be on his way out if he doesn't perform either.

Green Bay has had 37 picks, 10 starters since 2008. Nearly double the success rate.

But again, if Gates and Clay step up and then you get a few guys from this draft doing some things, Ireland sits well.

You make a good point, Ireland needs to hit on not only Tannehill, but also on several of these young offensive guys we've brought in.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:17 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Umm.. I think you missed a couple players... May not be every down players, but still drafted players since 08 and still here playing...

Rashad Jones, Jimmy Wilson, Nolan Carrol, Brian Hartline

So now we have 10 active players who may not all be starters, but they play every week.....

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:17 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

If it takes at least 2 years to determine if a draft was successful does it really matter who is still around & on the roster if we have had 3 losing seasons in a row now? Bottom line is we have to draft better. I am not a draft nick but I know there are a few guys here who really study it as well as the guys coming out of college. 90% of opinions here say we have had as good as draft as any other team. Im saving alot of these posts , we will see 2-3 years down the road.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:43 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

For the record, I am excited about the Dolphins drafting Tannehill. Even if he turns out to be a bust, at least they took a chance.

But Tannehill isn't the only rookie coming into camp this year. Another rookie will have a greater impact on the Dolphins as to whether they succeed or not. His name, Joe Philbin.

What Miami needs to succeed is stability at the head coaching level. The only stable head coach since Shula was Wannstedt, but his off the chart stupid draft picks nullified that.

I won't mention names, but a certain young ex Dolphin QB, never had a chance to develop with the circus environment he was surrounded with.

The Dolphins success hinges first on Philbin, then the players.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:16 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I would not be surprised at all if Tannehill pushes the other two for the starting job. He may not start day one, but I think he will be right on their heals.

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]