All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:30 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I've read this about him from several draft analysts. The draft is a hit and miss process. Hopefully Ireland and his scouting department see something in him that the previous teams that whiffed on Missouri tight ends that separates him from the rest. I think Aaron Rodgers is the only Tedford quarterback that has been successful in the NFL as a bona fide franchise quarterback, so, hopefully the same will hold true for Egnew. I'd rather have a more complete tight end, myself, but I am a bit "old school".

Quote:
NFL people skeptical of Mike Egnew

The Dolphins' third-round pick of TE Michael Egnew is reportedly drawing "skepticism" around the league.

"If you can find me a recent Missouri tight end that's done well in the pros, let me know," one NFC scout said. "They're too one-dimensional." Chase Coffman and Martin Rucker were recent Missouri tight ends drafted in the early to middle rounds who flamed out quickly. Egnew has a bit better speed than both, but he will struggle to get on the field if he can't block on the line.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/47281594/ ... _news-nfl/

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:02 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

There is not a player in the draft that does not have question marks and that includes Andrew Luck and RG3. We need another solid TE and this guy also looks like he has some receiving skills.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:03 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I think when he is on the field for the Fins he will be lined up away from the Tackle, more like a slot receiver or on the outside. If he is next to the OT then he probably will still end up going out moreso than staying in to block. Fasano will be the blocking TE that can also catch.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:26 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well, for one, Miami did not draft Egnew to be a blocking TE, as they have a very solid, complete TE in Fasano, and a blocking TE in Will Yeatman.

Egnew is a kid that can be lined up in the slot or out wide and can cause mismatches with LB & safaties.

The history of Missouri TE's get's your attention recently, but also remember that one Kellen Winslow came out of Missouri as well.

We will see how things play out on the field.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:56 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

To add to Dave's point about a hit or miss process, one Brian Brohm comes to mind as a 2nd round pick that didn't even make the team.

You can be skeptical about any player in the draft having the impact (or the reverse) that the Kipers, McShays, and Mayocks predict.

If Egnew turns out to be and Aaron Hernandez or heck even David Martin type then some comment from some scout in April is going to be forgotten quickly.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:18 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Remember all the Tedford QBs that failed before Aaron Rodgers...

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:13 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
To add to Dave's point about a hit or miss process, one Brian Brohm comes to mind as a 2nd round pick that didn't even make the team.

You can be skeptical about any player in the draft having the impact (or the reverse) that the Kipers, McShays, and Mayocks predict.

If Egnew turns out to be and Aaron Hernandez or heck even David Martin type then some comment from some scout in April is going to be forgotten quickly.

....and if he does succeed, all those who doubted him won't be bringing up his success as proof of their ignorance. It's easy to dis someone or something then forget it when your wrong, it's another to stand behind something and take the flak for it when your wrong.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:44 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
I'd rather have a more complete tight end, myself, but I am a bit "old school".

Well we kind of knew about the "old" part ... but thanks for the clarification. lol : )

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:36 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AQNOR wrote:
Quote:
I'd rather have a more complete tight end, myself, but I am a bit "old school".

Well we kind of knew about the "old" part ... but thanks for the clarification. lol : )

Old as dirt ... LOL.

:fart:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:47 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:

Yeap, but from what I've heard GB broke Rodgers down & rebuilt him.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:44 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Egnew wasn't brought to Miami to inline block all day, he was brought here to create mismatches against linebackers and safeties. He's a big target for our quarterbacks to throw to. Yes his blocking could use some work but the kid has the size to be a decent inline blocker so long as he is willing to learn and use his size to get in front of guys and protect the quarterback. He can be productive in the NFL if he is willing to work hard and develop the weaker parts of his game. But at the same time you could say that about any rookie.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:12 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I'm hoping this guy succeeds but i have to admit he's the one tight end in the top 5 that I did not want.
Having said that, I heard that Tannehill really likes him and has already started to bond with him.
Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:04 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I think Dolphins were trying to move up & get Dwayne Allen that round. & I thot it was a little silly the Colts took 2 TE's, 2 rounds in a row. (In fact I think their draft sucked from the perspective of the lack of defense on that team since Dungy) Dwayne has some combined strength & explosiveness that we could've used. But seeing how Egnew is taller, faster, & can jump higher, hopefully he'll be able to succeed as a pass catching TE in the NFL. & it proved to be a value move. If we trade up then we may of given up enough that we couldn't of been in a place to go get Lamar Miller when they find themselves shocked to see where he had fallen.

Heres a question for that NFL scout. How many NFL TEs can you name from Kent St?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:43 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I like the idea that Miami drafted Egnew. The kid is tall athletic and catching 140 passes his last two years of college tells you that he has good hands and was productive along with having good speed. The type of offense Miami is running is all about timing and this guy looks like he would create mismatches against backers. Here's to hoping we have ourselves another weapon for the offense.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:07 pm 

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

Yeap, but from what I've heard GB broke Rodgers down & rebuilt him.

Which ties into my larger point. Coaching plays a huge role in how players transition into the NFL.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:18 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
First, Tannehill was reunited with Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman, his former head coach at Texas A&M. Next is was Dolphins assistant quarterbacks coach Zac Taylor.

Then it was Tannehill’s No. 2 wide receiver with the Aggies, Jeff Fuller, who was one of 16 undrafted free agents signed by the Dolphins last week.

The latest connection? Dolphins third-round draft pick Michael Egnew, a tight end from Missouri.

How do they know each other?

“I ran track against him, played him in football,” Egnew said Friday after a rookie minicamp. “We were in the same district so we competed against each other.”

Track?

Yeah, the triple jump.

“I mean, I won,” Egnew said. “I did pretty well in triple jump, but he’s a heck of an athlete. He’s really good.”

To be fair, I came across an article from 2006 that shows Tannehill defeated Egnew in a Class 4A, District 4 meet.

No, there’s no hard feelings regardless of who owned the rivalry. Tannehill and Egnew are rooming together this weekend in a Plantation hotel, and they seem to be getting along – good for a potential red zone combination.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... -jump.html

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:45 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
I'm hoping this guy succeeds but i have to admit he's the one tight end in the top 5 that I did not want.
Having said that, I heard that Tannehill really likes him and has already started to bond with him.
Fingers crossed!

He's a big athletic guy who has great hands and size for the position. Big targets like Egnew are a rookie quarterback's best friend. Hopefully the two develop a bond similar to Brady/Gronkowski, Rivers/Gates, and Brees/Graham.

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]