Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:46 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:

By the time of that trip it was becoming clear that Griffin would be a high first-round pick, and by February, Luck and Griffin were certain to be taken one-two. When St. Louis auctioned off the second pick of the draft in March, Ireland dipped his toe in the water but didn't jump in. "I didn't see a huge separation between Griffin and Ryan at the time," Ireland said on Friday. "I just didn't see it."

As a last check, Ireland sent tape of Tannehill to several close friends in the business, to be sure he wasn't seeing just what he wanted to see. The reviews came back positive.

Projecting whether a first-round quarterback will hit it big or bomb is the greatest mystery in pro football. Much depends on forces beyond his control—quality of teammates, of coaching, of the front office. But Ireland, who had the final say on Tannehill, expressed no doubts last Friday. "I am pumped, excited, ecstatic," he said. "We got our guy. I am willing to put my name on it."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:27 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Nice article. Puts a few things into perspective.

Still, I hope Miami doesn't just rush him out there. If he earns it in camp then great.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:03 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Tannehill and Griffin111 faced each other last year. For what it's worth.

Texas A&M 55- Baylor 28

Pass attempts RG 28/40 430 yds, AVG 10.8 - Tannehill 25/37 415 yds. AVG 11.2

TD RG- 3 Tannehill - 6

Rushing yds- RG Carries 12 for 15 yds, AVG 1.3 yds

Tannehill 5 for 55yds, AVG 11.0

Last edited by gatorphin on Fri May 04, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:13 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Wow, head to head he kicked his butt (statistically)

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:28 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I forgot to mention, that you might argue that Texas A&M had a better defense than Baylor. I don't know if that's true, but I thought that I should throw that out there.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:33 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm going to avoid the whole who is better thing. Both guys are big athletic quarterbacks that have good arms and can throw well on the run. We'd be lucky to have either guy in my opinion. What RG3 vs Tannehill boils down to for me is I think we got a better value than the Redskins did. If I had to choose between giving up three 1st round picks for RG3, and giving up one 1st round pick for Tannehill, I'd choose Tannehill. I think both guys are going to be successful in the NFL at some point in the next couple of years, but for me giving up three 1st round picks to get a guy is way too risky, even if that guy is as talented as RG3. When you sacrifice that many 1st round picks you sacrifice being able to build around you're guy. With Tannehill we only sacrifice one pick to get him, we don't sacrifice the future and being able to build around him.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:41 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I seriously doubt that Tannehill has the same kind of arm as Griffin right now. After watching both guys play I can make an easy assessment & say Griffin has a special kind of talent. He has the ability to put a bullet on the spot while looking like he hardly flicked his wrist. Tannehill doesn't have that quick release yet. He is certainly capable of making the tight passes some day but that NFL game speed will eat him up if he plays right away. Hes only had about a season & a half at this position so its not unexpected to be a bit behind the curve but to me its obvious where the difference between these two QBs is right now. RG3 has owned his position with a cannon & it was stupefying when you saw a Baylor receiver drop a pass from him. To me Robert's ready & Ryan needs time

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:27 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Steve Zissou wrote:
I seriously doubt that Tannehill has the same kind of arm as Griffin right now. After watching both guys play I can make an easy assessment & say Griffin has a special kind of talent. He has the ability to put a bullet on the spot while looking like he hardly flicked his wrist. Tannehill doesn't have that quick release yet. He is certainly capable of making the tight passes some day but that NFL game speed will eat him up if he plays right away. Hes only had about a season & a half at this position so its not unexpected to be a bit behind the curve but to me its obvious where the difference between these two QBs is right now. RG3 has owned his position with a cannon & it was stupefying when you saw a Baylor receiver drop a pass from him. To me Robert's ready & Ryan needs time

You act as if RG3 is so far ahead of Tannehill, but when they met head to head Tannehill blew his team out of the water. Heads up, Tannehill looked like the better player. One thing I'd like to point out is RG3 is only working on fundamentals in his rookie camp, he's not out there running the offense. Why do you think that is??? Maybe RG3 isn't as pro ready as some people seem to thing. He's got a lot of learning to do before week one in my opinion. Mostly learning an NFL offense and partly learning how to take snaps from under center and read defenses, things Tannehill can already do at a very good level for a rookie. I know RG3 is a talented athlete, but I doubt Shanahan is going to change his offense to mostly read option just for RG3's sake. I'll admit that Tannehill needs to fine tune things before he's ready to get out there, but that being said, he's still ahead of the curve in terms of comparing him to most prospects. If we played the Redskins this year on week one, Tannehill vs RG3, I'm picking the Dolphins to win that one.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:56 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

wkloiber13 wrote:
Steve Zissou wrote:

You act as if RG3 is so far ahead of Tannehill, but when they met head to head Tannehill blew his team out of the water. Heads up, Tannehill looked like the better player. One thing I'd like to point out is RG3 is only working on fundamentals in his rookie camp, he's not out there running the offense. Why do you think that is??? Maybe RG3 isn't as pro ready as some people seem to thing. He's got a lot of learning to do before week one in my opinion. Mostly learning an NFL offense and partly learning how to take snaps from under center and read defenses, things Tannehill can already do at a very good level for a rookie. I know RG3 is a talented athlete, but I doubt Shanahan is going to change his offense to mostly read option just for RG3's sake. I'll admit that Tannehill needs to fine tune things before he's ready to get out there, but that being said, he's still ahead of the curve in terms of comparing him to most prospects. If we played the Redskins this year on week one, Tannehill vs RG3, I'm picking the Dolphins to win that one.

Thats a good point about RG3. Its probably going to be very difficult for him to transition to an NFL offense, especially coming from Baylor. Conversely, the transition could be easier for Tannehill due to his knowing the offense. But thats not what this is about. The difference, as I saw between these guys, was arm strength & release. I still think RG3 has more zip on his passes & impressed me with his accuracy. To me Tannehill has a bit of a wind up to his pass & sometimes they float a little. That could certainly improve with some time, as I said he hasnt played the position as much as RG3 yet. So I think Ireland was just sorta pumpin his guy/draft pick up a bit here.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]