Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:50 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
by Kevin Nogle on May 8, 2012 5:00 PM EDT in 2012 Miami Dolphins News

You cannot truly grade a draft until three years after the selection meeting. That's the conventional wisdom at least. Well, for 2009, that's now, and Dane Brugler, from CBS Sports, is doing exactly that ...

MIAMI DOLPHINS (9 Draft Picks)
1 (25) CB Vontae Davis, Illinois; 2 (44) QB Pat White, West Virginia; 2 (61) DB Sean Smith, Utah; 3 (87) WR Patrick Turner, Southern Cal; 4 (108) WR Brian Hartline, Ohio State; 5 (161) TE John Nalbone, Monmouth; 5 (165) S Chris Clemons, Clemson; 6 (181) OT Andrew Gardner, Georgia Tech; 7 (214) LB JD Folsom, Weber State

THE GOOD: While he hasn't been the All-Pro cornerback the Dolphins thought when they drafted him in the late first round, Vontae Davis has been a quality and normally reliable player the last three seasons

THE BAD: After an All-American college career, Pat White was considered more of an "athlete" but wanted to stay at quarterback, lasting only one season in the league and finishing his NFL career with zero completions

JURY STILL OUT: With the recent signing of Richard Marshall, cornerback Sean Smith might be forced to the bench this season as he proved to be unreliable last year (only three career interceptions)

Re-Grade: C-

Looking back on the 2009 draft, how would you grade the Dolphins' selections? Do you agree with Brugler's best, worst, and jury still out players? Can any of the 2009 draft turn around the entire class and raise that C- grade?

http://www.thephinsider.com/2012/5/8/30 ... t-re-grade

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:53 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Just as a first thought Hartline should bump it up some. imo.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:57 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I still think Clemons is the best safety we have.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:00 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

AQNOR wrote:
Just as a first thought Hartline should bump it up some. imo.

I hear ya. I think we'll find out this season what Hartline's made of. I. as a fan, like his potential.

Since we have the gift of hindsight tho, I would give us a D for taking Pat instead of LeSean McCoy. Ha!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:25 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

What was the original grade?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:30 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'd give us a solid c to c+
Pat White destroys what otherwise was a solid draft.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:00 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Vontae Davis, Sean Smith, Brian Hartline, and Chris Clemons have all played a significant role on this team from year one. All four are starters who will likely remain starters in my opinion. While I wouldn't grade this draft an A+, I'd still give it a C+ to B- even though Pat White and Patrick Turner were big time busts. If those two were still backups on this team I'd probably give this draft a B to B+.

Anytime you can add four starters in one draft I think you're doing alright. While none of these guys are Pro Bowlers, they are all good contributors. Not great, but still good.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:16 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

I dont know what dictates a good or bad draft aside from players drafted who are on the field on Sundays.

So 2009 leaves us with
Davis
Hartline
Smith
Clemmons

Who are all decent quality players, maybe not the best, but with a little tweaking can be very good.

Then you have
Pat White
Pat Turner
John Nalbone
Andrew Gardner
JD Folsom

So in the end, we ended up with 4 players who more than likely will still be on the team in Sept, and 5 who are already gone...

If an A+ is batting 1000 I'd say a C is about right for us...

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:08 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Whoa...Pat White and who else? The only notables on there are Vontae and Hartline. Both great picks regardless, but the rest of that "supporting cast"...absolutely atrocious! Chris Clemons is just BARELY average and he comes closest to our best pick behind Vontae and Hartline. Man, I'd grade that draft at BEST a C-, but a D sounds a tad more fair.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:24 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

So Sean Smith is absolutely atrocious?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:08 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

I'm hardly one to be an apologist for our front office, but it seems that to get 3 starters and a part-time starter out of a draft is quite reasonable. It's not knocking it out of the park, because none of the starters are elite (at least not yet; I still have hope for Davis...) but it's solid. Yes, White was a horrible pick, but it's somewhat mitigated by the fact that we did well with Clemons, Hartline and Smith considering their draft position. I think a B is fair.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:54 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Better than Billycheats draft

S Patrick Chung 2nd (34) Tops on team in tackles (37) despite missing time

DL Ron Brace 2nd (40) Returned to practice this week after starting on PUP (elbow)

OL Sebastian Vollmer 2nd (58) Limited to one game this season with a back injury

OL Rich Ohrnberger 4th (123) Five games as a reserve in two seasons; On IR this year

DL Myron Pryor 6th (207) Strong debut in 2011, on IR after shoulder injury Week 2

WR Julian Edelman 7th (232) Slowed by injuries in 2011;

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:14 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

A good way to look at the past drafts is by identifying which guys other teams (especially quality teams) would want to have as a starter on their team. I don't think there is any doubt Vontae Davis would start on just about every team in the NFL. You could make cases for Smith and Hartline being starters on several teams.

Long, Langford, Bess, Carpenter, Davis, Smith, Hartline, Odrick, Pouncey...its not like they haven't hit on some picks (UDFAs) over the last few years. Trading a 4th rounder for Fasano was a solid move too.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but in a year or two you might be able to field a team with the starters being mostly drafted players that keep this team an annual playoff contender. Your only major FA guys would be Dansby, Wake and Burnett unless some guy signed this year has a breakout.

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]