View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 ProFootballFocus 2009 All AFC East Team 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post ProFootballFocus 2009 All AFC East Team
Quote:
QB Tom Brady (Patriots)
A down year by his standards, a great comeback year by others -- would have looked better but for 34 drops (third-highest in league)

HB Fred Jackson (Bills)
Not great in pass protection but fought poor blocking to have great year with impressive 4.5 YPC and 38 missed tackles

FB Lousaka Polite (Dolphins)
Is there a more effective lead blocker in the league? Saw more snaps than any other fullback and didn't wear down at all

WR Wes Welker (Patriots)
No player as good at getting open and getting yards after the catch (54.15 percent of his yards coming after the catch)

WR Jerricho Cotchery (Jets)
No Randy Moss? Cotchery did more with less despite what the numbers may say -- one of the leagues most underappreciated players.

TE Anthony Fasano (Dolphins)
Inconsistent in the passing game, but excellent as a run blocker in a division that lacks quality tight ends since David Martin went down

LT Jake Long (Dolphins)
Elite left tackle who excels in pass protection, with six perfect games and five in which he gave up a solitary pressure

LG Logan Mankins (Patriots)
Excellent blocker in space who greatly improved his performance in pass protection in 2009

C Nick Mangold (Jets)
In a league of his own when it comes to run blocking for a center -- the biggest reason a team should spend a high pick on a center

RG Steve Neal (Patriots)
Best pass-protecting guard in the league? Only injuries hampered the best season of his career

RT Damien Woody (Jets)
Slow start to the season but run blocking got better and gave up less than a pressure per game
For the defense we're using a 4-3 hybrid system that both the Jets and Patriots used throughout the season

DE Randy Starks (Dolphins)
Has found a home as a 3-4 end, where he generated consistent pressure (32 total) and was excellent against the run (37 stops)

DE/OLB Calvin Pace (Jets)
Pace missed the first four games of the season but didn't miss a beat bringing pressure for the Jets with nine sacks, three hits and 35 pressures

DT Sione Pouha (Jets)
Did the Jets miss Kris Jenkins? Pouha was a revelation as a run stopper this year with 32 stops and countless blocks eaten up

DT Vince Wilfork (Patriots)
Misused a tad by New England at times, but as a nose tackle he was occasionally immovable

OLB Tully Banta-Cain (Patriots)
A year that came from nowhere…he was the premier pass rusher in the division with 10 sacks, 10 hits and 23 pressures -- amazingly, he was briefly released mid-season

MLB Paul Posluszny (Bills)
Doesn't get the attention he deserves but can do it all -- blitzed well, but his solid tackling (six missed tackles all year) and excellent coverage were highlights for Bills

MLB David Harris (Jets)
Harris may never be the greatest defender when it comes to shedding blocks, but his blitz timing (six sacks, seven hits and eight pressures) and especially his coverage were ideal for the Jets this year

CB Darrelle Revis (Jets)
A breathtaking, MVP-type year…thrown at 111 times with 41 receptions allowed and the game's top receivers shut down

CB Leigh Bodden (Patriots)
Did a lot of work rebuilding his career as Pats' most consistent corner…allowed 50 percent of throws his way for a bit more than 500 yards

SS George Wilson (Bills)
Quietly had a very good year as an in-the-box-type safety, producing some big plays (two sacks, four Interceptions) and very consistent play (one poor game all year)

FS Kerry Rhodes (Jets)
May not have been the type of player Rex Ryan wanted, but his natural talents showed up -- in a league full of safeties making mistakes, missed only five tackles and gave up no TDs

K Stephen Gostkowski (Patriots)
83.3 percent on field goals but beats out Dan Carpenter on the strength of his kickoffs

P Brian Moorman (Bills)
Solid year, averaging over 40 yards net per kick

RET Ted Ginn (Dolphins)
Struggled with his punt returns (when given the chance) but displayed game-changing ability returning kicks -- just ask the Jets.

ST Eric Smith (Jets)
Intense special teamer who ended the season with 13 special team tackles

http://www.profootballfocus.com/article ... rc=&id=136

Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:42 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: ProFootballFocus 2009 All AFC East Team
i read fred jackson over thomas jones and stopped reading

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
RT Damien Woody (Jets)
Slow start to the season but run blocking got better and gave up less than a pressure per game
For the defense we're using a 4-3 hybrid system that both the Jets and Patriots used throughout the season

http://www.profootballfocus.com/article ... rc=&id=136[/quote]RT Damien Woody? I'd say that's BS, should be Vernon Carey.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:15 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Argh with the quoting.

I don't get to watch enough games(we get at best 3 games shown a week nationally and at my dorm I can see 1 every week and streams arent always working) :/ but as good as Jacksons performance was it fades to Ricky Williams', in my opinion. About the same amount of carries and just a much better production. Granted he had more help but he was also a 2nd string HB that took over as a starter and handled himself very well.

I mean if not Ricky then Thomas Jones certainly seems to be a more obvious choice for the best running back performance in East.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:50 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

he also only had two td's.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:51 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ

Hmmm...
Jackson (avg.-rush) 4.5 ypc, Williams 4.7 edge Williams
Jackson (long-rush) 43 yd, Williams 68 edge Williams
Jackson (TDs-rush) 2, Williams 11 edge Williams
Jackson (avg.-rec) 8.1, Williams 7.5 edge Jackson
Jackson (long-rec) 21, Williams 59 edge Williams
Jackson (TDs-rec) 2, Williams 2 even
Jackson 1 TD pass, Williams 1 Int edge Jackson

Williams is certainly ahead of Jackson in my mind, but I'm obviously biased.
What I can't figure out for the life of me is how Thomas Jones isn't the name there.
Workhorse with 331 carries. Williams had 241, Jackson 237.
Maintained solid 4.2 average. 14 TDs-rush with a long of 71, and 1402 yards rushing.
I hate to admit it, but the Jet Jones was the definition of a franchise back in '09. Steady continual production while bearing the brunt of the workload.

Another somehow puzzling vote is Wilson the SS from Buffalo.
Wilson 70 solo, 33 asst Tackles, Bell 92 solo, 22 asst Tackles edge Bell
Wilson (missed Tackles) 5, Bell 1(!)edge Bell
Wilson (Ints) 4/23 yd + 6 PD, Bell 3/48 + 8 PD even
Wilson (Sacks) 2, Bell 1.5 edge Wilson
Wilson 895 snaps, Bell 966 edge Bell

Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:23 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Yea, the stat that really stands out for me is Bell only missed 1 tackle..and of course got invited to the pro bowl on an alternate spot.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:47 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

rhoads30 wrote:
i read fred jackson over thomas jones and stopped reading

Yeah and that was only the 1st questionable pick in this article... nice to have a few Phins in there but an article with Fred Jackson, Jerricho Cotchery and Anthony Fasano being considered the "best" in their division is a joke.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]