View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Acquiring draft picks 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Acquiring draft picks
A lot has been said already about the depth of this draft class. I know a lot of us have thrown around our own visions of how we would reshape the team.

Now that Smiley is on the block (I'm doubting they get the requested 3rd rounder), it opens up the discussion of who else may be heading out.

Gibril got the "kiss of death" backing only weeks before he was cut. I seem to remember the same for Akin Ayodele. Maybe even more significant was the support of Ted Ginn Jr. I'm willing to bet he is part of a deal on draft day to acquire another player or a mid round draft pick.

My question to you guys is who do you think Miami will dangle to acquire more picks? I've already said Ginn. Pennington is another thought if they truly feel good about White being the third stringer. I think Camarillo could generate some interest from a receiver starving team (not saying he has to go, but Miami pretty much already has 3 of him if you include Bess and Hartline).

Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:46 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Acquiring draft picks
First of all, I don't think Pennington is traded. If I remember right he has a clause in his contract saying that if he is traded, he will receive some pretty hefty bonuses, or something like that. If any QB is traded, it's Thigpen.

As for our WRs, I doubt any are traded; if so, then Ginn. We wouldn't get any value for any of them. And, Camarillo and Hartline are not really the same player. Even though Hartline is only an inch taller, he seems to "play bigger", IMO.

Their best chance of acquiring any high picks is to trade down (unlikely but possible).

Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:09 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I agree with k-dash, Tyler Thigpen is he most likely candidate to be traded if anyone get's moved.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

How long before the draft do u see Smiley or Thigpen being traded for picks? or is it going to be a draft day thing. I also dont think that Ginn is going to be traded unless it's to aquire another WR. I guess the only reason I dont want to see Ginn go, is because all I can think about he is a #9 overall pick. I was so pissed when we took him and now I guess I want to see him do something to change my mind about the pick, but I guess it will never happen.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:05 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Again, I'm only throwing out names I could see other GMs having some interest in. Thigpen is more attractive, but I have a hard time seeing Miami move him for fear of the only thing standing between Pat White and starting is a fragile Pennington should something happen to Henne. I think he stays as a backup unless a team throws out a third round pick for him.

There isnt really a need to move Ginn or Camarillo. But if I am another GM I'm looking at Ginn's speed to compliment a #1 and Cam as a nice possession option, a solid #3 and reliable #2. I don't think Miami would move both, but I could see one of them going for a pick if the opportunity presents itself.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:42 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

PENINGTON has the most value, if his rehab is successful. He also is old, and injury prone. Still, a team in need of a quality QB might take a chance on him, especially given his intelligent play and leadership. He's a legit NFL QB, w/a lot of passing skill, but a very mediocre long ball. Especially for any team that's close, he'd be a good addition.

THIGPEN might be traded, but I doubt it. He's young, and possesses all the "tools" of a legit NFL QB, plus all of the "tools" that PIS hopes that WHITE will have SOME DAY. I think that he stays, unless it's a REALLY-REALLY great offer.

WHITE may evolve. He's just too young to give up on. That being said, I REALLY BELIEVE that he was brought here to add a new dimension to the Wildcat. If so, since THIGPEN has the same skills and more, WHITE may go. I am convinced that if PARCELLS had known that he could/would get THIGPEN for a 5th, he wouldn't have drafted WHITE at all. As to what MIAMI could get for WHITE, your guess is as good as mine.

I understand why they are shopping SMILEY around. I'm just not sure that it's such a great idea. I would be firm about a 3rd, though. IF SMILEY can stay healthy, you get a legit topshelf G for just a 3rd, who isn't being paid a ton of money, really. I say a 3rd or a very high 4th, or forget it.

:jests: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

i have a feeling that we are going to trade down a couple of times in the first round. Since, it's such a deep draft according to everyone, this might be the best idea. We have been predictable in the two drafts that this FO has been a part of. This year I believe we might shock some guys with our picks. I don't see us going to the season with 4 qb's because I know TS would rather have an o/d line man take up the extra roster spots. As far as Smiley goes I hope we can get a 3 rd pick, or maybe package it with one of our picks or a player and scam another 2 rder. Its getting exciting and we are less than a month away.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]