View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Could Miami still take Rolando McClain at #12? 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Could Miami still take Rolando McClain at #12?
We have all assumed with the signing of Karlos Dansby that ILB has been taken off the board in the 1st round. But are the Dolphins really happy with Channing Crowder.

Crowder signed a new contract last year, but it was not a mega deal and his production left a lot to be desired this year as he only had 52 total tackles, 44 solo and 8 assisted and 1 sack and 1 interception. Plus, he made some pretty childish statements supporting Joey Porter when Porter was ripping the organization and talking about possible unrest in the locker room.

Also, one thing to remember about this regime is they love size, and it has to be in the size range they like at the positions. I love Brandon Graham, but he is 6'1 and the regime likes there OLB in the 6'3 range. You would hope that an 1'1/4 inch would not make a difference, and it may not, but we know how the group think in regards to size.

Rolando is 6'3 3/8, 249 lbs and alleviated a lot of fears by running a 4.68 40 and looking very fluid in the positions drills in his pro day at Alabama. He's smart, physical and by far the best ILB in the draft, leader, great football IQ, the kid lives football and played ILB in a 3-4 scheme under as demanding college coach as there is in Nick Saban.

In the 2nd round Miami could grab Jermaine Cunningham, the DE from Florida who Miami spoke with about converting to an OLB. At 6'3 3/8, 266 lbs, he has the size the trifecta would want at OLB and he has 18.5 sacks in 3 years at Florida playing with very good talent.

I still expect Miami to take an ILB in this draft, could McClain be that ILB Miami takes? Thoughts.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Could Miami still take Rolando McClain at #12?
I hope we can get McClain because even though Inside linebacker isn't a major need. I feel he would be the best player available.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:50 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Miami absolutely needs to fix the defensive side of the ball. LB's and Secondary were a major concern last year and if a kid like McClain falls in your lap you have to take him. In a few years, He maybe the premier LB in the league but there isn't any rush for him right now to be pressed to be the man.

With Dansby, He can make an easier transition into the pro game.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:05 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

It seems that Parcells focuses on a position a year on defense. He drafted a couple of outside pass rushers as defensive ends in his first draft, he drafted cornerbacks last year, and this year he seems to be focused on the inside (ILB/NT). I wouldn't be surprised if he drafted McClain if he were available. He's smart, hard-working, plays the run and pass well, and is an upgrade over Crowder. Crowder has very good athleticism, but he many times have we seen him out of position?

I honestly think he will either draft McClain or an OLB (college DE) at #12.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:09 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

If McClain is drafted then surely Dansby would move outside.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:35 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

SC, are you thinking Miami would deal Crowder? I have a hard time seeing him as a backup or in a rotation with a guy they select with the 12th pick.

Its wide open with possibilities but my money would be on Dan Williams, Earl Thomas or an OLB (Kindle, Graham, Morgan, Pierre Paul).

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:46 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

jammer, I am not sure what they would do with Channing, but certainly they could look to trade him if they were to pull the trigger on McClain.

Here a little blurb form Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald in today blog on Miami sticking to a prototype in regards to size.

Sparano explains why he sticks to prototype
Last week I explained to you that the prototype player is important to the Dolphins.

I told you the Dolphins have certain specific size and speed and other requirements they don't deviate from very much. And I know you like it when I tell you things like this because then you get to argue with me about it.

But then someone with serious credibility says the same thing I said and then you come around because suddenly Salguero's not on the island all by himself anymore.

Well, Tony Sparano explained the idea behind drafting for the prototype, signing prototype free agents, and being careful about not making too many exceptions on the prototype during the NFL annual meeting a couple of days ago.

Here are his thoughts:

"If you continue to turn your cheek to prototype, to size, to speed, to those types of things, to the mental part of it, to the prototype players, to the position specific skills, then all of a sudden you turn around and two years later you look at your football team and you have a team full of non-prototype players," Sparano said. "So you have a lot of non-prototype players and you’re a small team, you’re not a big team. You’re a slow team, you’re not a fast team because you like this kid and you like his qualities and he’s a good football player.

"So I think in some situations you’ve got to be cautious about the prototype thing and that you might be passing on a good player, so we try not to do that. We try to take all of those things into consideration and we do, that’s a fact. But I also do believe that you don’t want to look back later on and see a team full of non-prototype players. That’s not good in this league, to be a small team or to be a slow team or to be one of those types of things. It’s not a good thing. The thing I keep hearing from people that play us is, ‘Wow, they’re physical. Wow, they’re physical. They’re big, they’re physical.’ That I think is because of the type of people that we bring in."

And so that is the reason that despite my appreciation for Brandon Graham, for example, I see little to no chance the Dolphins would draft the Michigan star to be their OLB because he's 6-1 and not 6-3 or 6-4. It is a shame because, clearly, the adherence to prototype forces the Dolphins to pass on certain guys.

If Miami wants to go OLB and are hell bound to stick to the size prototype, and they probably will, a name to keep in mind is Everson Griffin, the freak of a DE from Southern Cal. 6'3 3/8, 273 lbs, the kid ran a 4.66 at the combine and put up 225 lbs 32 times. He had 18 sacks in his 3 year career with SC, but the knock on Griffin is his motor runs hot & cold. But he looks very fluid in the drills and played the elephant position for SC, OLB as well as DE.

Derrick Morgan is obviously a guy Miami has interviewed, and if he is not there at #12, Griffin could be a consideration, alhough he would be a reach.

One concern with Morgan that Mike Mayock bought up after the Georgia Tech Pro Day was he felt that Morgan struggled in the LB drills from a movement standpoint.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:06 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I have to agree. I'd be all for continuing on the McClain bus this April.
Crowder has been ok, but it was made pretty evident by that other article talking about big plays and how much of them were actually screens, that we need a lot of help at the ILB position. Taking McClain would give us the option to maybe trade off Crowder for another draft pick, giving us a pretty sweet ILB crew of Karlos Dansby and Rolando McClain.

Clearly a huge upgrade over Channing Crowder and Akin Ayodele!!!

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:17 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

He would be the perfect compliment to Dansby on the inside.

That said, Channing is a solid player, and certainly good enough to be the 2nd guy behind Dansby in the middle. I think Crowder could do great things with a player of Dansby's caliber playing next to him.

I doubt McClain gets passed KC at 5, and even if he does I think somebody jumps on him in the top 10 somewhere.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:04 pm
2011 NFL Survival Champ
2011 NFL Survival Champ

it really all depends on how the first 11 picks fan out, but i still feel McClain is the pick here, because our regime has said they always look to upgrade any position depending on player availability. what it all depends on is if the trifecta believes McClain to be a signifigant upgrade over Crowder at a position of need and the art of that is they determine what a need is. While Dansby and Crowder may be a good ILB combo, imo the trifecta may decide to gamble on great w/ Dansby and McClain.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It's hard to tell what this FO is going to do, so I wouldn't put anything past them. I think we are going to try and trade down and aquire as many picks as possible, but if McClain is there and we pick him I would not be dissappointed at all. He is a beast.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]