View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Titans debacle a case of Dolphins believing their own hype 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Titans debacle a case of Dolphins believing their own hype
Quote:
by Ben Volin

A trio of Dolphins talking points to jumpstart your Wednesday:

1. Sunday’s debacle was a result of the Dolphins believing too much of their own hype.

For six weeks, all the Dolphins players heard was how much better they were playing than everyone expected – even when they lost:

* That Joe Philbin was a brilliant new coach.
* That new schemes on both sides of the ball were so much better than the old ones.
* That Ryan Tannehill was the next great quarterback.
* That the Dolphins were two missed field goals away from being 6-1.
* That they would make a run at the playoffs in the second half.

And then Sunday happened. The Dolphins got absolutely embarrassed at home, 37-3 to the Titans. The offense turned the ball over four times and couldn’t get into the end zone. Jake Locker made the defense look foolish with his arm and his legs. The special teams units couldn’t execute a simple return without committing a penalty.

And now they stand at 4-5, two games out of the playoffs and their postseason chances looking grim. According to cornerback Nolan Carroll, Sunday’s stinker was the result of the players believing too much of the hype.

“I think we got a little complacent as far as thinking, ‘OK, we’re good,’” he said Tuesday as the Dolphins prepared for Thursday’s game at Buffalo. “We came into the game Sunday as if we got it on lock. I don’t think we did what we needed to do because our mindset was already fixed on being relaxed a little bit. That’s what got us, and I know for sure when we come out on Thursday, it’s not going to be the same.”

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... -own-hype/

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:29 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Titans debacle a case of Dolphins believing their own hype
One loss and we are back in the toilet, worst team in the league, Tanne is a bust, Philbin cant coach, and our coords cant call plays...

Now thats more like Miami media reporting!!!

I guess the only satisfactory outcome for any regime here is to just draft the next Marino and make a superbowl run in the first year

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:49 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Well, the coaches and players have to know that this is the NFL. Clche' or not, any given Sunday.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:58 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

It is a young team with a rookie quarterback and a rookie head coach getting knocked back down to earth.

It happens.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

10acjed wrote:
One loss and we are back in the toilet, worst team in the league, Tanne is a bust, Philbin cant coach, and our coords cant call plays...

I guess the only satisfactory outcome for any regime here is to just draft the next Marino and make a superbowl run in the first year

I wonder if you could point what you said in the above article?

Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
It is a young team with a rookie quarterback and a rookie head coach getting knocked back down to earth.

It happens.

Exactly, now it's a matter of them picking themselves up and grinding out a few more wins. Tomorrows game is a big time gut check. We're going to find out what this team is made of.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:01 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

AQNOR wrote:

Not sure what it is your asking.. I did not write an article, I commented on one regarding these things being "Hype" (Exaggerated or extravagant claims).

The hype comes from media reports.. From the same exact source..

Ben Volin wrote:
Tannehill, meanwhile, has been one of the biggest surprises of the 2012 draft. Most observers thought he would need to sit on the bench this year after starting only 19 games at quarterback at Texas A&M. Instead, he has shown steady improvement since starting the opener and has been given a veteran’s responsibility at the line of scrimmage.
“The one thing that’s really stood out to me about Tannehill is he’s pretty advanced before the ball is snapped,” said NFL Films senior producer Greg Cosell. “He’s very comfortable, he recognizes pressure, he’s not frenetic in his play, he’s poised in the pocket and he’s willing to stand in there and deliver the ball.
“The coaching staff deserves a ton of credit, because this kid is playing like an NFL quarterback.”

So on Nov 3, Tanne was the biggest surprise, and the coaching staff deserves credit. Now its all hype....

Just pointing out the obvious flip flopping these guys do week to week. Wasn't a knock on you, you simply posted an article....

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:29 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

10acjed wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Not sure what it is your asking.. I did not write an article, I commented on one regarding these things being "Hype" (Exaggerated or extravagant claims).

The hype comes from media reports.. From the same exact source..

Ben Volin wrote:
Tannehill, meanwhile, has been one of the biggest surprises of the 2012 draft. Most observers thought he would need to sit on the bench this year after starting only 19 games at quarterback at Texas A&M. Instead, he has shown steady improvement since starting the opener and has been given a veteran’s responsibility at the line of scrimmage.
“The one thing that’s really stood out to me about Tannehill is he’s pretty advanced before the ball is snapped,” said NFL Films senior producer Greg Cosell. “He’s very comfortable, he recognizes pressure, he’s not frenetic in his play, he’s poised in the pocket and he’s willing to stand in there and deliver the ball.
“The coaching staff deserves a ton of credit, because this kid is playing like an NFL quarterback.”

So on Nov 3, Tanne was the biggest surprise, and the coaching staff deserves credit. Now its all hype....

Just pointing out the obvious flip flopping these guys do week to week. Wasn't a knock on you, you simply posted an article....

Sorry about my poorly written sentence. I was trying to ask if you could point out how you arrived at your position in regards to the posted article. Mea Culpa.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I was just wondering because it seems like my understanding of an article and others has been quite a bit different and I wondered where my disconnect was occurring.

It seems to be semantics in this case at least. I understood his use of hype in its more common form (at least as I understand it) to intensively promote something. There was a lot of promotion in the media ( and he was a part of it, it seems) about how good Miami was playing and even a fair amount of playoff talk. This was not just local but some national talk as well.

So his article praising Tannehill and one saying that players were believing the hype would not be contrary imo.

He even quoted a player who thought that the problem could have been that they bought into all of the good press so much that they did not come with the right mindset, the right intensity.

I took believing the hype as becoming complacent when you should be trying harder.

"One loss and we are back in the toilet, worst team in the league, Tanne is a bust, Philbin cant coach, and our coords cant call plays..." What you wrote there did not seem to bear any resemblance to what I thought the article was about, which I took it to be as, don't rest on your laurels but come with the same intensity that got you there. Don't believe you are good and let down in intensity but show you are good with effort and execution. That seems to go along with the players quote.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:28 pm
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

10acjed wrote:

Still think this after the first half of the buffalo game? (Buffalo, worst defense and lost every other home game)

Miami is either one of two things right now.

1. They are back to the "picking up a pay check" mentality
2. Serious lack of talent on the team (refer to our arguments about how our starters may not be starters on other teams).

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]