View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Where do the Miami Dolphins' offensive players rank? 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Where do the Miami Dolphins' offensive players rank?
Quote:
By Omar Kelly

Sun Sentinel

4:00 p.m. EST, December 1, 2012
Everyone wants to make this Sunday's game against the New England Patriots a measuring stick game.

I'm not sure that's wise or responsible considering the Patriots are on pace to shatter a number of NFL records, and are presently the hottest team in the league.

Keeping pace with New England is a race few teams in the NFL can win, so it might not be wise to say the Dolphins aren't on solid footing if they lose, or get blown out tomorrow.

I've found steady improvement from most of this Dolphins team, but the offense is behind the defense.

Davone Bess and Brian Hartline are on pace to catch 1,000 yards of passes. But they are also the only receivers the Dolphins regularly use.

Bess is rated by ProFootballFocus.com as the NFL's 19th best receiver. I found it interesting that he's second in the NFL in producing missed tackles (14), behind Minnesota's Percy Harvin (22). He averages 4.7 yards after the catch.

I point this out because many Dolphins fans claim Bess produces few yards after the catch. That's not accurate.

Hartline's ranking has been on a steady decline since his hot start. He's presently ranked as the NFL's 30th best receiver. Out of every receiver who has played 300 or more snaps this season Hartline ranked 26th in yards per reception (14.7)....

Jake Long checks in as the NFL's 46th best offensive tackle, but it is his run blocking grade (-2.4) that brings him down. Long has allowed four sacks this season, but only 24 offensive tackle have allowed fewer. He's allowed nine quarterback pressures in 11 games. Only eight offensive lineman have given up fewer. And keep in mind Long rarely gets help from a tight end or tailback on his side.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... l+Blogs%29

Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:00 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: Where do the Miami Dolphins' offensive players rank?
Patriots Insider wrote:
This week, the Patriots will deal with one of the best slot receivers not named Welker, Davone Bess of the Miami Dolphins.

Bess, who's signed through 2013 with Miami, is an intriguing player. At 5-10, 190, he's a little more solidly built than Welker. He's also a little faster. Bess is a player I used to think could be plugged into the New England offense in place of Welker and give identical production.

http://www.necn.com/11/29/12/Belichick- ... eedID=3352

To me, Bess plays almost as well as Welker. He can read defenses to know the soft spots, has very dependable hands, and makes yards after the catch. He also is a good punt returner.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:25 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The Bess vs Welker pick is hard because Brady I am guessing targets Welker way more than Miami targets Bess. If Bess got as many chances as Welker with balls being thrown his way, week in and week out, I agree Dave, I bet he would match that output even more so.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:32 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Omar Kelly wrote:

Bess is rated by ProFootballFocus.com as the NFL's 19th best receiver. I found it interesting that he's second in the NFL in producing missed tackles (14), behind Minnesota's Percy Harvin (22). He averages 4.7 yards after the catch.

I point this out because many Dolphins fans claim Bess produces few yards after the catch. That's not accurate.

Bess has 202 YAC this year, which places him 58th on the YAC list. Does anyone consider that good for a WR with 55 catches?

The leader ( Harvin ) has 531 & 9 more catches.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:45 am
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

and how is he faster than Welker??? Sure doesnt show up on the field. I didnt even notice Bess today except for mistakes. Welker carved us up. Welker has way more "make you miss" than Bess

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:54 pm
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
Omar Kelly wrote:

Bess has 202 YAC this year, which places him 58th on the YAC list. Does anyone consider that good for a WR with 55 catches?

The leader ( Harvin ) has 531 & 9 more catches.

Bess is a good possession receiver with sure hands. His "speed and elusiveness" leave much to be desired. He often goes backwards after a catch in an effort to make something happen. He did it today at midfield and was very close to the first down if he simply would just fall forward. It forced a punt.....might have been a first down or very short 4th down.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]