View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 More info on Martin's Performance 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post More info on Martin's Performance
Quote:
Feeling the heat

The left side of the Miami Dolphins’ offensive line was always in for a tough day going up against Aldon Smith and they duly suffered a disappointing day with Jonathan Martin (-5.2) recording his lowest single game grade of the season in his first start at left tackle. Back on home turf (just a 40-minute drive from his collegiate home field at Stanford) Martin really struggled to deal with the physicality of Smith off of the edge and surrendered almost all of his pressure to Smith including both a sack and a hurry via bullrush.

Quote:
Only a neutral zone infraction late in the fourth quarter really blotted his copybook and on top of his two sacks and four hurries he also drew a holding penalty from Reggie Bush after he had blown to the inside of Jonathan Martin leaving Bush with little option but to grab Smith and give QB Ryan Tannehill a chance to escape.

Aldon Smith ended the game with 2 sacks and 4 pressures.

Justin Smith also had some success against Martin.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... s-week-14/

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:08 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: More info on Martin's Performance
Is there ANY way this team resigns Long? I am more and more in favor of it now, I just do not think he is the kind of player who will DEMAND top LT money and rob the team of more play makers, I believe his heart is in this franchise. I hope he takes a home town discount and we get him back.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:05 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I thought the O-line played relatively well...........considering they were going against the premier D in the NFL. Sure Tanny got hit and pressured, but he also was given time, particularly in the 2nd half.

I think Martin played as expected, considering this was his first start at LT playing most of the day against the Smiths. The Long of 3 years ago would have held his own, but the today's Long would have been abused.

Look for a team like Chicago to pony up big bucks for Long in the off season, which we wont and shouldn't match.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:21 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

There is no question that Jonathan Martin will need to and has to spend a TON of time in the weight room this off season. Regardless of the side he is on, right or left, I have seen him get bullrushed a lot and that was the question on him coming out of Stanford.

Would I like to see Jake Long back, yes. But not at top 5 money. He has not played up to that caliber of OLT and further more, he has not shown the ability to stay healthy the last few years either.

Martin got a baptism by fire this weekend going against the leading sack guy in the NFL in Aldon Smith. So while he did have his struggles, it not like he was lining up against some scrub.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Cameron Wake roasted the SF offensive line, but I suppose they aren't whining about their LT....

Smith is the leading pass rusher in the NFL....what the hell did anyone really expect was going to happen? Someone probably should have been assigned to chip block him on virtually every passing down.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:35 pm

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Cameron Wake roasted the SF offensive line, but I suppose they aren't whining about their LT....

Seeing as how Cameron Wake lines up against the RT...

Wait... do you actually WATCH the games?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:35 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Rich wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

Seeing as how Cameron Wake lines up against the RT...

Wait... do you actually WATCH the games?

His point is valid though. Great pass rushers will beat OT's more often than not.

You don't need to have a great set of OT's. Just a solid one.

But at the same time, Martin wasn't just beat on a couple plays...he was embarrassed consistently. Wasn't even close to being good enough.

You only need to be solid at LT. Nothing more, which is why I don't like investing high into that position, (or any other individual position along the line). But the problem is that there are very few things that hurt more than being BAD at that spot. They need to get that position taken care of, whether it be bringing back Long at a reasonable price, or through the draft.

....Just as long as it isn't a 1st round pick I'm fine.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:

Smith is the leading pass rusher in the NFL....what the hell did anyone really expect was going to happen? Someone probably should have been assigned to chip block him on virtually every passing down.

I agree, this really doesn't make me suddenly think that Martin isn't capable of playing left tackle. This was his first NFL start at left tackle, and he was tasked with stopping the best pass rusher in the NFL and the best pass rush in the NFL. He gave up a sack and a hurry, big whoop.

We've got three games left in the season. Let's see what the kid can do. He's still going to face Justin Babin and Mario Williams the next two weeks. He's going to get a lot of quality playing time against elite pass rushers. I think if he takes it in stride, and hits the weights this offseason, he'll be fine and ready to go next year.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:20 pm

wkloiber13 wrote:
I agree, this really doesn't make me suddenly think that Martin isn't capable of playing left tackle. This was his first NFL start at left tackle, and he was tasked with stopping the best pass rusher in the NFL and the best pass rush in the NFL. He gave up a sack and a hurry, big whoop.

We've got three games left in the season. Let's see what the kid can do. He's still going to face Justin Babin and Mario Williams the next two weeks. He's going to get a lot of quality playing time against elite pass rushers. I think if he takes it in stride, and hits the weights this offseason, he'll be fine and ready to go next year.

Good, we're getting somewhere. Last week you had him pegged as Jake Long's replacement. Now you're in "let's see what he can do" mode.

But just to correct the record, he gave up 2 sacks and four hurries to two different players.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]