View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 What do they need to become a playoff team???? 

What do you think is the #1 need of this team
Offensive passing game 35%  35%  [ 8 ]
Offensive running game 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Defensive run stop 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
Defensive pass rush 30%  30%  [ 7 ]
Defensive Secondary Help 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Special Teams 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 23

What do they need to become a playoff team???? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post What do they need to become a playoff team????
This is the time of year when everybody has an opinion on what the Phins need to add in order become a playoff team. In order to know what they need, you have to assess what they already have, in order to guess where they are going . Sometimes we make this game seem much more complex than it really is. It really comes down to three segments of the team. On the field it usually comes down to talent and execution. Game planning, schemes and coaching can only take a team so far.

There are 3 components to a football team. Defense, Offense and special teams. The winning teams in the NFL usually have a talented core of players in these three areas. When you look at the 3 components of the team, you can break down the talent even further. Like pass rush, sacks, time of possession, starting field position allowed, Red Zone success, fumbles, interceptions, penalty yardage, Punting avg, FG completion percentage etc. etc. Lets take apart the 3 components of the team as it stands right now today and see where they are and what you think they need to improve.

Defense:
Pass Defense
Run Defense
Front Seven
D-Line
DE
NT
LB's
OLB
ILB
Secondary
CB's
S

Offense
Passing Game
Running Game
O-Line
TE
WR
QB
RB

Special Teams
Kick off
Kick return
Punt
Punt Return
FG

Last edited by bobby0112 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:34 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: What do they need to become a playoff team????
I think there are still several positions that need improvement in order to become a playoff team. I selected run stop as the #1 need on this team right now. For me that means a big nasty NT. A close 2nd would be pass rush as in OLB and pass defense as in S.

And my answer to what do they need to become a playoff team is to find 3 or 4 more starters in this seasons draft/free agency.

Last edited by bobby0112 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:40 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Pass rush and pass D kind of falls under the same category. I went with pass rush though.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:41 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

We need a #1 WR. Sorry guys.. But, this offense would be DEADLY with a #1 guy. Alleviate a ton of pressure off the running game so that it will improve. Ted Ginn immediately gets better. Chad Henne immediately gets better. In this league anymore.. you have to be able to pass the ball to win games. We need to balance our offense so that we can still generate points if Ronnie Brown goes down. Now, of course we need a NT. I think passrush will be taken care of. But, I think the biggest priority is getting a #1 WR.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:42 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I also chose passing o. I think it will benefit us, we were a playoff team 2 seasons ago and got behind, and were not able to turn it around because all we could do is run.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:45 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If we could get a quality WR, then the offense would be vastly improved.....Heck, our OC might even open up the playbook a little if we give him some tools to work with.

A great running game is nice, but if that great running game doesn't lead to a devastating play action pass attack you have to wonder what is wrong.....

Yes, our defense needs help. I think we have a chance of filling needs there in the 2nd and 3rd round.....not so sure we can get the kind of receiver we need outside of the 1st round though.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:07 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Where is the all of the above option?

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:32 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I went with Pass Rush as well... we had our moments of greatness getting to the QB last year, but they were too few and far between to stop teams from running up the score when we needed to hold them tight.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:07 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

I don't see the schedule option. Miami played the most brutal schedule known to mankind last season. Simply not playing the AFC's final 4 and every playoff wannabe during the regular season might help. Not that it is an excuse, but a season of those types of games take its toll physically. I'd put that at the top of the list. Followed by the following:

Safety - Every great team in the playoffs had a safety that can play. When you have a guy that takes away the middle of the field, it forces teams to go to the outside and try and beat the CB. Miami had horrible safety play last season plagued by missed tackles and blown coverages.

Pass Rush - It didn't help the safeties any that Miami wasn't getting to the QB. That should change under Nolan.

ILB - It goes without saying that both safeties finished over 100 tackles for the season. Where were the ILB's? Let's hope Karlos Dansby brings the unit back up to par.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:16 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
I went with Pass Rush as well... we had our moments of greatness getting to the QB last year, but they were too few and far between to stop teams from running up the score when we needed to hold them tight.

Exactly....they'd get a lot of sacks, but what good do they do when it's 1st and 10, you get a sack, it's 2nd and 15, they gain 7 yards, 3rd and 8 and they pick up 15. This defense was terrible on 3rd down, and a lot of that is contributed to not being able to generate pass rush with just 4 guys...they constantly sending 7 or more on 3rd down. A lot of that is lack of play calling, but they got that fixed with Nolan.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:22 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Where's the option for "The Entire New Orleans Saints' Roster"?

Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:30 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I said secondary help, that is where we lost most of our games last year. We put up points, but we gave opposing offenses quick scores and large gains through the air. In all fairness we had two rooks playing at corners, but I believe a solid FS is needed. After that I would go with help in our passing game and defensive pass rushers as being 2a and 2b.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:32 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ

Well, I think Safety is our #1 team priority, with a minuscule margin to #2 at NT. Most seem to feel that Dan Williams or another Noseguard will be our pick, but this draft is deep in quality DL, and not so much in elite-caliber Safeties.
I base that solely on the positions they went after first...LB and S. DTs were out there, but they didn't fire at them. Dansby and Rolle were pursued; Dansby was grabbed, Rolle wasn't. The money they offered to Clark was apparently far less than he believed he was worth, and so I think they still view that as a major need.
Ferg's troubles recently and his medical history make his signing seem like a band-aid to be broken out halfway through, so I'm sure one of the first two names we hear when the Dolphins are on the clock will be a DT; I just think it will be the Second Rd.

chanting softly in the background, with interwoven John Facenda reflections overdubbed...

Earl Thomas...Texas...Earl Thomas...Texas

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:25 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Phin wrote:
I said secondary help, that is where we lost most of our games last year. We put up points, but we gave opposing offenses quick scores and large gains through the air. In all fairness we had two rooks playing at corners, but I believe a solid FS is needed. After that I would go with help in our passing game and defensive pass rushers as being 2a and 2b.

I agree.

By my count, G WILSON singlehandedly/almost singlehandedly cost us 6 games last season. Anyone who thinks that FS isn't a MAJOR weakness ought to have his head examined. NT is second: we became very much less formidable after FERGUSON went down, and this season, if he makes it back at all, it won't be before game #9. OLB (for pass rushing purposes) is 3rd, i/m/o...but if FS and NT are 9's, OLB is at least a 7 and probably an 8.

So, what does MIAMI do?

1) Get a solid FS, unless one's already on the roster. (We the fans wouldn't know: we don't see much of CULVER and CLEMONS) F/A or Draft: it doesn't matter which.

2) Get at least 2 NTs in the Draft...one early and another later. And if a solid veteran shakes loose, pick him up too. Then hold a for-real competition in the pre-season/TC and the best 2, or maybe even all 3, stay.

3) There's a lot of very solid OLB prospects. Grab 2 as early as possible.

4) TRY to upgrade the TE position. I think that that would help MIAMI's "O" as much as a #1 WR. After all, look at N.O.! I/m/o, 4 very solid #2WRs NO REAL #1. Certainly no FTITZGERALD/AUSTIN/MARSHALL/TO/MOSS, etc.. But they DO also have a very solid rushing attack, and a topshelf TE, along w/a QB w/the "tools" and smarts enough about how to use all of his weapons. QED.

5) Stay healthy. MIAMI missed R BROWN, P COBBS and W ALLEN a lot.

Even w/a glorified Rookie QB, MIAMI scored a lot of points last season. The problem was that all too often, the opponent scored more. THINK ABOUT IT. MIAMI actually could've beaten the top 2 Offenses in the NFL, who happen to be last year's SB teams. The problem WASN'T SCORING POINTS, even though MIAMI had no #1 WR.

MIAMI took a great 1st step by getting rid of G WILSON. And it took a great 2nd step by firing PASQUABALONEY and hiring NOLAN. MIAMI should now look to finish the job...as above, i/m/o.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:44 pm

The Staff immediately addresses issues it sees as problem areas. Last season ('08), our OL woes contributed to our demise: Maser was Sparano's first hire: he became Sparano's first fire. This season, defensive breakdowns plagued us at the worst times, and DC gets the axe. Nolan is an upgrade there, and our D will be solid if unspectacular. At least folks will be in great position; Nolan gets the most out of the players he has and adapts the system to fit their abilities pretty well. Dansby will be a beast.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Pass rush and pass D kind of falls under the same category. I went with pass rush though.
heres the problem though. We were top 5 in pass rush last season, it just wasn't at the right time.

Run D is the key to getting better. It's how we create 3 and long situations so we can get off the field. It's how we make a team one dimentional. It's how we control the LOS.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

eleaf wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
heres the problem though. We were top 5 in pass rush last season, it just wasn't at the right time.

Run D is the key to getting better. It's how we create 3 and long situations so we can get off the field. It's how we make a team one dimentional. It's how we control the LOS.

I agree 100%. Especially the part about making your opponent one dimensional. In the 3-4 defense the NT is responsible for tying up two 0-lineman and keeping them from reaching the ILB's.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:57 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

eleaf wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Why run on a team when you can throw it all over the place?

Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]