View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Anthony Fasano in 2012: Sure Hands 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Anthony Fasano in 2012: Sure Hands
PFF wrote:
Miami Dolphins: Tight end Anthony Fasano had 41 catches and zero drops. That is the most catches by a tight end without a drop in the past five seasons.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... s-week-17/

Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:53 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: Anthony Fasano in 2012: Sure Hands
Quietly solid as usual. He's not going to blow open the defense but he'll be there to make that crucial catch whenever you need him.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:01 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:
Quietly solid as usual. He's not going to blow open the defense but he'll be there to make that crucial catch whenever you need him.

Which is why I think they should re-sign him. He doesn't have to be your number 1 TE but he can probably make more plays if defenses have to focus on other targets. Miami's receivers weren't scaring anyone and Fasano had little space to operate. Lets also not forget that Tannehill needs to work on some throws where he missed Fasano for potential big gains.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:19 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Zero drops?? I am no football stat analyst, but I could have sworn he dropped some easy passes earlier in the season. He did come on later as the season progressed, but I don't buy the zero drops as they must be defining some balls as uncatchable then.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:59 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

jammer wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Which is why I think they should re-sign him. He doesn't have to be your number 1 TE but he can probably make more plays if defenses have to focus on other targets. Miami's receivers weren't scaring anyone and Fasano had little space to operate. Lets also not forget that Tannehill needs to work on some throws where he missed Fasano for potential big gains.

Why would he resign to be a blocking TE?

If Miami signs a TE like Cook or Keller to be their #1, and they also have Clay onboard, Fasano isn't stupid...He knows what his role would be. And I don't think he's ready to concede to that at this point in his career.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:56 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:

If Miami signs a TE like Cook or Keller to be their #1, and they also have Clay onboard, Fasano isn't stupid...He knows what his role would be. And I don't think he's ready to concede to that at this point in his career.

Clay showed nothing and it doesn't sound like he blew away the coaching staff. They had nothing but praise for Fasano and you can't just gut the team of every player. Clay, Egnew, Mastrud...all should be let go over Fasano.

Who said anything about just a blocking TE? You can have multiple TEs running routes and catching passes.

I want Miami to be aggressive and target some talent but we have to stop pretending that every good FA is going to end up in Miami. They aren't the only team with money to spend.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

Clay is not a real TE. He's an H-back hybrid. He's also under contract. If Fasano is affordable it makes all the sense in the world to keep him.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:28 pm

jammer wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Clay showed nothing and it doesn't sound like he blew away the coaching staff. They had nothing but praise for Fasano and you can't just gut the team of every player. Clay, Egnew, Mastrud...all should be let go over Fasano.

Who said anything about just a blocking TE? You can have multiple TEs running routes and catching passes.

I want Miami to be aggressive and target some talent but we have to stop pretending that every good FA is going to end up in Miami. They aren't the only team with money to spend.

You were saying to bring him back as a #2.

Does this offense want to revolve around a 2 TE set? Sherman at A&M didn't, and neither did Philbin in GB. Whoever the #2 TE isn't going to be highly involved in the passing game, especially when you have an H-back like Clay taking some flex reps.

In this offense, I just don't know that I see Fasano wanting to take that role.

Plus, honestly I don't like the guy anymore. He's tough, sure. But he's honestly nothing in the passing game. Not even a very good blocker at this point, in my opinion...or at least nowhere near as good as he was in 2008-2010 where I thought he was elite in that area.

There are a lot of Fasano's out there, is my point. And for this offense, he's not that valuable if you've got a talented #1 on board.

Unless he wants to sign for cheap, and is comfortable taking a much lesser role, I don't see why he would come back, or why Miami would bring him back. He'll get a similar contract to what he got 3 years ago from Miami...I'd only be willing to pay half for him.

You can't just hold onto players just for the sake of avoiding turnover. He's not good enough and his style doesn't fit in this offense, in my opinion. Let him go and improve the position significantly with somebody else.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Clay is not a real TE. He's an H-back hybrid. He's also under contract. If Fasano is affordable it makes all the sense in the world to keep him.

I agree, re-signing Fasano is a no brainer. The guy is an affordable tightend that can do it all. We just need to find someone who can consistently play across from him in two tightend sets and help stretch the field on occasion. Clay isn't that guy. Neither is Egnew apparently. I think our best solution is to re-sign Fasano and attempt to draft another tightend to compete with Egnew.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:17 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IamPZ wrote:

If Miami wants to progress from being a mediocre team. They need to improve beyond mediocre TE production. This is a position in need of an upgrade as Miami did not attack the seams in middle of the defenses often enough this past year. I don't know if that is because Sherman didn't attack enough using the TE's or if the TE's on the roster couldn't create separation. Or maybe they had to stay in a help block. But Miami needs to get more catches out of the TE's in 2013.

Last edited by bobby0112 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:46 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

You certainly resign Fasano, but as the number #2 tight end. Go out and nail a top end draft pick if they are worthy or grab one of the available free agent TE play makers.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:54 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Fasano is only 28. He's not going to want to be a #2 TE. I think he is gone just because he does not fit the style of offense that this team is moving to. I think he knows this.

I actually like Fasano and wouldn't mind that we resign him if we cannot upgrade the position. This offensive line needs extra blockers and he excels at blocking.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:37 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

draft 2 tall seam tight ends in this draft. It will go a long way towards scoring points and developing Tannehill. Mike Wallace plus 2 rookie tight ends.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:45 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Finhead34 wrote:
Zero drops?? I am no football stat analyst, but I could have sworn he dropped some easy passes earlier in the season. He did come on later as the season progressed, but I don't buy the zero drops as they must be defining some balls as uncatchable then.

I am not 100% on how they get the actual stat, but I think the count passes that were thrown well and hit the hands, arms or chest.
I seem to remember a couple early in the season, but not really sure if they were really easy catches, or just ones we feel are "catchable"...

swerve13 wrote:
draft 2 tall seam tight ends in this draft. It will go a long way towards scoring points and developing Tannehill. Mike Wallace plus 2 rookie tight ends.

If they cant block, it seems they wont play. At least not until our line is capable of blocking the pass without help from the TE....

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:32 am

I think those early season drops you're referring to were in the preseason... he had a hardcore case of the dropsies in the preseason.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:52 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

IamPZ wrote:
I think those early season drops you're referring to were in the preseason... he had a hardcore case of the dropsies in the preseason.

Could have been, I know he has had streaks where he drops a few, then turns it on. Either way to me he is a solid TE, he can add to blocking and the pass game. He makes some really tough catches.

He was targeted 69 times and came away with 41 receptions. But the stats for this topic only counts "catchable" balls so he may have been the receiver in the area when the ball was thrown away making him the intended target.

I still feel our lack of production from guys like Fasano & Bush in the passing game is a direct result of poor blocking on our o-line.
If they are being used as extra blockers all the time its hard to get passes. When they do break free it seems the defense is on RT before the play even develops.
Add

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]