View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 My Draft Man Crush 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post My Draft Man Crush
Got this from another blog (sorry) but they feel the same way I do about DeAndre Hopkins! I feel the same way about this guy that Phins Rock felt about Matt Ryan in 2008.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/1/3/38 ... 2012-chick

This kid just has "it" to me!

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:00 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: My Draft Man Crush
He catches everything. Uses his body pretty well. Straight line speed is good enough to challenge most DB's.

I just question his 2nd gear. I don't see an ability to separate...very little explosion coming in and out of his breaks. That said, he does a great job catching it in traffic, but if you can't get open against man to man in college, you're not going to at the next level.

But he does have a lot of attractive qualities.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:07 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phins Rock wrote:
He catches everything. Uses his body pretty well. Straight line speed is good enough to challenge most DB's.

I just question his 2nd gear. I don't see an ability to separate...very little explosion coming in and out of his breaks. That said, he does a great job catching it in traffic, but if you can't get open against man to man in college, you're not going to at the next level.

But he does have a lot of attractive qualities.

He runs a 4.4 flat and I've watched him burn a physical CB like Xavier Rhodes and speed corners like Greg Reid. Plus since Watkins was hurt he was the only option besides the TE Ford who is not a bad pickup in the 4th round. Big kid great hands and has some speed on him.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:19 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

You don't have the type of game DeAndre had against LSU if you can't beat physical man coverage.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:45 pm

phinsfansc wrote:
You don't have the type of game DeAndre had against LSU if you can't beat physical man coverage.

Look at his catches in that game Tony. Very little separation, (or none), on most of those plays. He made plays because he used his body with the ball in the air tremendously, and snatched it out of the air in traffic.

Plus, it's not like Simon (who was covering him almost exclusively) will be 1st round pick in April.

Again, he's a good WR. I just don't see enough of an ability to get open consistently against man to consider him in the 1st round. He's a #2/3, to me.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:16 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Look at his catches in that game Tony. Very little separation, (or none), on most of those plays. He made plays because he used his body with the ball in the air tremendously, and snatched it out of the air in traffic.

Plus, it's not like Simon (who was covering him almost exclusively) will be 1st round pick in April.

Again, he's a good WR. I just don't see enough of an ability to get open consistently against man to consider him in the 1st round. He's a #2/3, to me.

There is no way DeAndre is getting in the 3rd round, and it would not surprise me to see a team take him late 1st. Early to mid 2nd round is as low as I think DeAndre get's.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:41 pm

phinsfansc wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

There is no way DeAndre is getting in the 3rd round, and it would not surprise me to see a team take him late 1st. Early to mid 2nd round is as low as I think DeAndre get's.

I meant #2/3 as in a 2nd or 3rd WR. I agree he'll be taken in the late 1st round, early 2nd round.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

I agree, Keenan Allen, Robert Woods, Terrance Williams, and Justin Hunter are all better prospects in my opinion. Possibly even guys like Tavon Austin and Coradell Patterson could go ahead of him too. I like Hopkins, but he isn't anything special. I agree that Hopkins will go 2nd or 3rd round depending on how things play out. No way does he go in the 1st. He lacks elite size and elite speed. You need one or the other to go in the 1st round.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:28 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Great hands and great physicality no doubt... but I've fallen in love with Tavon Austin myself. That kid can motor man.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:41 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

wkloiber13 wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

I agree, Keenan Allen, Robert Woods, Terrance Williams, and Justin Hunter are all better prospects in my opinion. Possibly even guys like Tavon Austin and Coradell Patterson could go ahead of him too. I like Hopkins, but he isn't anything special. I agree that Hopkins will go 2nd or 3rd round depending on how things play out. No way does he go in the 1st. He lacks elite size and elite speed. You need one or the other to go in the 1st round.

You may like WR's more than Hopkins, but I would be stunned if he get's into the 3rd round. And in regards to Justin Hunter, why is all this love for this kid, because of his size? He is not a blazer and he been inconsistent as hell in his time at UT. I agree that Patterson will go ahead of him because of his size and speed and his POTENTIAL. Patterson is raw though, and Hopkins is a better WR right now.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:15 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

phinsfansc wrote:
And in regards to Justin Hunter, why is all this love for this kid, because of his size? He is not a blazer and he been inconsistent as hell in his time at UT..
What does one need to run to be considered a blazer?

phinsfansc wrote:

I agree that Patterson will go ahead of him because of his size and speed and his POTENTIAL. Patterson is raw though, and Hopkins is a better WR right now.
Patterson is a solid prospect.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:28 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Dphins4me wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
And in regards to Justin Hunter, why is all this love for this kid, because of his size? He is not a blazer and he been inconsistent as hell in his time at UT..
What does one need to run to be considered a blazer?

phinsfansc wrote:

I agree that Patterson will go ahead of him because of his size and speed and his POTENTIAL. Patterson is raw though, and Hopkins is a better WR right now.
Patterson is a solid prospect.

I consider a blazer to be a legit low 4.4, 4.3 guy. And yes, Patterson is a solid prospect, but he is still very raw as a route runner and inconsistent with his hands. But he is a playmaker with speed.

After the combine, I don't think there will be a question that Patterson will go in the 1st round. Some have him mocked there now.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:36 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

phinsfansc wrote:
I consider a blazer to be a legit low 4.4, 4.3 guy.
Not going to find many 6'4" Wr that run that. Hunter is a legit mid to late 4.4 guy.

phinsfansc wrote:
And yes, Patterson is a solid prospect, but he is still very raw as a route runner and inconsistent with his hands. But he is a playmaker with speed.

After the combine, I don't think there will be a question that Patterson will go in the 1st round. Some have him mocked there now.

Yea, Patterson will be this year Stephen Hill.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:47 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Miami needs guys who can upgrade the WR position immediately.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]