View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Salguero on In-Season Extensions 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Salguero on In-Season Extensions
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/

Decent read. He seems to think Hartline is going to get paid somewhere and I buy that. He can do a lot of damage on a team with a capable QB and an established #1 receiver.

Basically says Long is a goner. Agreed because some team will overpay thinking they are getting Jake Long circa 2009.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Salguero on In-Season Extensions
The Dolphins are in a tricky situation with Hartline. On one hand you'd love to keep the guy. He's a proven commodity and he's entering his prime. He's a solid #2 or #3 guy depending on your opinion of him.

But is he really worth signing for $5M+ a season??? Like the article says, had we signed him early in the season we likely could have had him for a similar deal to the one we gave Bess a couple of years ago (about $3M a season). Now that he's a 1,000 yard receiver, what are the odds we can lock him down for less than $5M a season???

My opinion of Hartline is this. I'd love to keep him around. I want us to re-sign him. But not if it costs us over $5M a season. If Hartline is willing to do a 4 year $12-$16M deal, then I say sign him. But if he wants something like five years and $30M, I say let him walk.

Hartline is replaceable. The Dolphins could very easily sign someone like Greg Jennings in free agency to take his place. Then draft one or two receivers. With all of the picks we have in the first three rounds I don't see a reason why we couldn't draft at least one or two receivers.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:41 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

wkloiber13 wrote:
The Dolphins are in a tricky situation with Hartline. On one hand you'd love to keep the guy. He's a proven commodity and he's entering his prime. He's a solid #2 or #3 guy depending on your opinion of him.

But is he really worth signing for $5M+ a season??? Like the article says, had we signed him early in the season we likely could have had him for a similar deal to the one we gave Bess a couple of years ago (about $3M a season). Now that he's a 1,000 yard receiver, what are the odds we can lock him down for less than $5M a season???

My opinion of Hartline is this. I'd love to keep him around. I want us to re-sign him. But not if it costs us over $5M a season. If Hartline is willing to do a 4 year $12-$16M deal, then I say sign him. But if he wants something like five years and $30M, I say let him walk.

Hartline is replaceable. The Dolphins could very easily sign someone like Greg Jennings in free agency to take his place. Then draft one or two receivers. With all of the picks we have in the first three rounds I don't see a reason why we couldn't draft at least one or two receivers.

It would have been nice to have Hartline at 2-3 mill/yr like they could have had him if they had done the extension he wanted. Ireland has made his share of mistakes, and this is another one.

That being said, I agree with Dphins4me in regards to letting Hartline walk if he wants 5-6 mill/per year. At that point, I would not only look to go after Jennings with the Hartline money, I would look to go after Wallace as well. Jennings, Wallace, Bess and perhaps Matthews or Binn, or draft a rookie. That is all of a sudden a very good WR corps.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:37 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Jordy Nelson signed a 4 year, 14 million dollar deal coming off of a 15 TD, 1263 yard season.

Hartline getting anything north of 5 million would be ridiculous.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:39 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:
Jordy Nelson signed a 4 year, 14 million dollar deal coming off of a 15 TD, 1263 yard season.

Definitely. Nelson is a more explosive WR in my mind.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Definitely. Nelson is a more explosive WR in my mind.

I too agree that Nelson is the better receiver. That said, I really want to see us try and keep Hartline. Even though we could probably replace him with a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

If we could sign him for a similar (preferrably smaller) contract to what Nelson got, then I'd be all for it.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]